January 2014 Moms
Options

Weird poop...

So DD has been screaming off and on for the past 2 days and fussing at the breast during random times in the day. She's hungry but screams like she's in pain until I find a different position to feed her, usually on her stomach or while I stand orssomething weird. This is after being happy for hours usually. Tonight, more screaming and finally web she pooped she didn't scream but her poop looked really weird. It was neon yellow and gelatinous/mucousy with specs of white and strings of dark green...she is EBF and I cut out dairy a few weeks ago to help eith gas and it seemed to help.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm hoping she's ok. TIA.

Re: Weird poop...

• Options
    An isolated occurrence of mucousy or green poop is not necessarily a cause for concern. We have bright yellow poop with white specs every single day, that is completely normal. The mucous could be as simple as swallowing drool and the green could indicate too much foremilk -- which would make sense since she's fussy while eating. I would just keep an eye on the poop and call the pedi if there is blood or if the green gets worse.

I might be concerned about an ear infection with the nursing problems you describe -- esp since she does better on her stomach. I'm not a doctor, though -- it's just a thought.
  • Options
    Is it one side that seems to bug her or both?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! You know I was actually thinking about an ear infection and tried to note if she freaked out just on one side, but after monitoring her the last two days, it seems to be equal. No fever or runny nose either, so I'm not sure if there is some amount of fussiness with bigger growth spurts or something possibly.

Also, you made me feel much better about her poop. I think I just freaked because I'm used to consistent, seedy poop and this was so gelatinous and liquidy it really freaked me out.
  • Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    My DD has poops like that once in a while too and it always freaks me out, especially when she is unhappy. But newborn poop has a range of consistencies and colours. As long as it isn't all of the time I try not to worry but I might ask about it at her next well visit so I know what our paediatricians thoughts are on when to bring her in and I know what to look for.

• Options
    Thanks @km_md and @peanutmuse ! Being a FTM I think makes me freak out about things first and rationalize later. I'll make sure to mention it to her ped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"