July 2014 Moms

water breaking (just a question.. not happening)

What really happens?

Is it like my nightmares, where huge gush will come out causing a puddle on the ground?

Trying for our first since April 2011
BFP 10/4/2012. Due 6/11/13. M/C 11/3/12
Diagnosed Hypothyroidism 9/4/13
BFP #2 11/11/13 Due 7/24/14

Today, I am pregnant.  Today, I am happy.
Everyone welcome

Re: water breaking (just a question.. not happening)

• Twice now, I have been in bed asleep and awoke to what I can only describe as kind of a "pop."  There was a little fluid on the bed.  I went to the bathroom and peed and I was leaking a tiny tiny bit.  So little that I wasnt convinced I hadnt just peed a little.  But both times, contractions started within ten minutes, so I figured it out pretty quick!  
    My iPad apologizes for it's lack of formatting.

image   image

• With DS my water broke while I was walking around the hospital after getting checked in. I didn't even know it had broken until I went back to triage to get another pelvic exam to check dilation. Granted I believe I was wearing a hospital pad as I walked in my lovely hospital gown but it def wasn't enough fluid to get my attention, especially as I was already contracting very few minutes.

• Loading the player...
  • Labor doesn't start with water breaking for most people. I was standing in the kitchen, felt/heard a small pop and warm water started trickling out. DH had to hand me a towel to hold under my crotch because more and more leaked out as I walked to the bathroom. There was a small initial puddle, but nothing too bad. We put a garbage bag down on the seat of the car on the ride to the hospital to protect the seat.
    One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
    DS born 3.12 
    DD born 7.14
  • Mine was a pretty huge gush, but I first felt the pop, almost like the sensation of an elastic band breaking from being stretched.   Hard to describe, but I definitely knew when it happened.  I jumped out of bed ran to the bathroom, and it just kept coming, every contraction was another big gush.  Its good to have some Depends on hand for this reason. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine was a pretty huge gush, but I first felt the pop, almost like the sensation of an elastic band breaking from being stretched.   Hard to describe, but I definitely knew when it happened.  I jumped out of bed ran to the bathroom, and it just kept coming, every contraction was another big gush.  Its good to have some Depends on hand for this reason. 

See this is what I'm afraid of. I'm gonna be wearing pads/depends for fear of it happening while I'm at work.

Everyone welcome

See this is what I'm afraid of. I'm gonna be wearing pads/depends for fear of it happening while I'm at work.

The night my co-worker had her baby in Nov, I had a dream that her water broke at work. In her office chair. The big gush. Now I'm petrified that it will happen to me! Ick!

• I just wanted to add that it doesn't happen as often as movies/TV make out. I think it happens to something like 10% or 15% of women.
    Yeah, thats what Ive heard, too.  
    My iPad apologizes for it's lack of formatting.

image   image

• Saritaota614Saritaota614 member
    edited April 2014

I just wanted to add that it doesn't happen as often as movies/TV make out. I think it happens to something like 10% or 15% of women.

Eta: Something happened to the quote...
    Yeah, thats what Ive heard, too.  
    Hopefully this is how it plays out... but, I think I am more nervous about this than anything else delivery related.

Everyone welcome
  • Mine didn't break on it's own my MW broke mine and it just trickled until I was almost fully dialated and then it started gushing out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine broke as I stood up from the toilet. I heard and felt a pop and it was literally like a small water balloon broke between my legs. Little mess to clean up off the floor, but after the initial break, I was leaking constantly.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• When my water broke with #1, it was a huge gush that just never stopped.  It was like Niagara Falls in my vagina.  

With #2, it was a little pop and trickle, and then my baby's head plugged it up and I didn't feel anymore leaking.

Both times I was already in active labor.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was already in labor. I'd been wandering up and down the halls and went to the bathroom then, when I was done, I felt the 'pop' already mentioned (feels like when a water balloon bursts, it's more than a bubble pop but less than a balloon) then had a couple of little spurts rather than a trickle or a gush but I was freaking out and tensed right up so that could be why. I stayed in the bathroom til it stopped and then the midwife sat me on an absorbent mat on the bed just in case there was more.

My friend's water broke while she was in a shopping centre but she was smart and had a plastic bag and shorts in her bag with fresh underwear and a pad,  just in case it happened while she was out. Smart lady.
  • Mine broke 11 hours after they started the cervadil prepping my cervix for induction. It was 4 am and I hadn't slept since the previous morning. The nurse had just been in to check on things and then I woke DH up to help me get unhooked so I could pee, he decided he needed to pee too and went first. I rolled over on my side trying to get comfortable and there was a popping noise and a gush. My contractions went from annoying to excruciating in a matter of seconds after my water broke.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine broke while I was sleeping at 4 am. It woke me up.... Like I had peed the bed a little. It was not a big gush.... I went to the bathroom to check and there was a steady small stream. My contractions didn't start until a few hours later.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For me, it was a really loud "POP" (loud enough for DH to hear and for it to wake me up) and a sensation like a rubber band snapping in my crotch. I stoop up and some fluid leaked out, but not a huge gush. I went to the bathroom to check, and fluid was continuing to leak out. I think I put a pad in at that point to catch whatever else came out, but I'm pretty sure I never changed the pad or anything.

• With my first two, my water broke at the hospital. However with #3 my worst nightmare happened and my water broke at work and it was a constant flow. I was not prepared and wearing a dress, thankfully my coworkers were awesome about it and we used a couple t-shirts we had on reserve for giveaways and I stuffed them in my undies and off to the hospital I went! I was so embarrassed! I guess I should be thankful I'm a SAHM now so I don't have to worry about making another mess at the office.
    Chase Alexander 12-11-01
    Sierra Nicole 6-15-05
    Avery Lyn 8-2-12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was sleeping and a loud pop sound and feeling woke me up. I thought I just had to pee, but lots of fluid came out and it had a different odor and kept coming while I sat on the toilet. I had to wrap my self in a towel on the ride to the hospital, it seeped through my clothes, but not soaking.
  • Omg.... now I'm scared. I don't want rubber band crotch or being a wet mess at work.
  • Thanks for all the stories.
    I guess I will just have to accept that it is part of the process and just hope mine won't break til I'm at the hospital.
    Fingers crossed!

Everyone welcome
  • I have a messed up sense of humor. Before I was moved to a different location, I told my female co-workers I wanted my wanted to break at work. I also wanted to be the one to make the phone call to our maintenance dept that my water broke and we needed them to come clean it up (they were asshole.) Now that I've moved to a new location our maintenance guys are AWESOME and I'm praying it doesn't happen at work! I'd hate to make them clean that up! Lol
  • Haven't read the rest of the posts, but most women's water doesn't break until they are in the hospital.

• I didn't even know it happened. I did put a pad on when we left for the hospital and sat on a puppy pee pad for the drive it was during rush hour and I didn't want to ruin the upholstery in my new car. Both wer clean when I got checked in at l&d, so it must have happened at home (likely when I was having 'digestive due stress') before I realized I was in labor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was already in the hospital when mine broke with DD. I sneezed felt/heard a pop and then it gushed a little. I told the nurse I think my water broke and they said probably not but then checked and sure enough it had broken.
    imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Not everyone's is a gush. Mine was but thankfully, I was already at the hospital when it happened.
  • Mine happened at 4 am...I heard a "pop" ran to the toilet and as soon as I sat down I had a gush! I yelled for DH and he continued sleeping! I tried to stand up 3 more times with 3 additional huge gushes!! I finally shoved a towel in between my legs and woke DH up so we could get ready and leave! I swear I felt 10 lbs lighter just after my water broke!
  • I felt a little trickle when I was watching tv, so I went to the bathroom to check and saw nothing. When I stood up from the toilet, I had a huge gush. I sat back down on the toilet and it sounded like a man peeing (you're welcome for the imagery). It did not stop. DH had to get me beach towels to put between my legs so I could leave the bathroom. He had to finish packing (I had a list of last minute items to put in my hospital bag) because I wouldn't stop leaking. Maxi pads did nothing to help. It stopped by the time we got to the car. 

July 14 May Siggy Challenge: Cute Animals
    imagelambs photo: lambs lftsidemovies5.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• i was in bed and something woke me up.  I got out and stood up and a huge gush.  Ran over to the toilet and another gush.  Then contractions started every 7 min.  baby born 2 hours later :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • eortmaneortman member
    edited April 2014

With both of my kids, my water didn't break until I was at the hospital. The 1st time my Dr. broke my water and I don't remember feeling any kind of gush or leaking, but I was in quite a bit of pain already.  The 2nd time I was at 9 cm and the water broke during a cervix check. It was a huge gush that time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Pregnancy Ticker

• I was already in labor. I'd been wandering up and down the halls and went to the bathroom then, when I was done, I felt the 'pop' already mentioned (feels like when a water balloon bursts, it's more than a bubble pop but less than a balloon) then had a couple of little spurts rather than a trickle or a gush but I was freaking out and tensed right up so that could be why. I stayed in the bathroom til it stopped and then the midwife sat me on an absorbent mat on the bed just in case there was more.

My friend's water broke while she was in a shopping centre but she was smart and had a plastic bag and shorts in her bag with fresh underwear and a pad,  just in case it happened while she was out. Smart lady.
    Fantastic Idea!
    <<a href="http://lilypie.com/">Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers>
  • darkangel42darkangel42 member
    edited April 2014
    blacktie3 said:

Fantastic Idea!
    It happened to her again when she had her second several weeks early and she was prepared that time too. Thankfully she was indoors when it happened - it was the middle of winter! It's a brilliant idea for anyone who's worried about water breaking before the hospital.
  •  

Pregnancy Ticker

• i'm not sure why that came out blank?? i'll try again! lol my doctor had to break my water when I got induced, that didn't feel great! and then it just felt like a gush of warm water. I'm curious to see how it will happen this time!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Mine never broke on its own, the doctor broke it at some point in the hospital.  It was a pretty big gush then, but I had been in labor for quite awhile, so I'm sure the contractions helped.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  So what if it happens at work?  It's not like you can control if/when it does and it'll be a pretty good excuse to get out early!  Haha.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imagephoto Candle_zps6cecf456.png 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • With DD1 mine broke in bed at 2 in the morning. It was a gigantic gush...Niagra Falls! I instinctively put my hands down there like I was going to catch it or stop it or something...haha! I'm assuming it was so much since since I was laying, so her head couldn't stop the flow. Once I went to the bathroom and had a few more small gushes, it slowed to an on and off trickle for a few hours until I was checked in labor and delivery at the hospital. For me, no contractions followed- even after 6 hours, so I ended up being pitocin induced- yuck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am having a mild anxiety attack thinking/reading about this
  • They broke mine at the hospital.  The thought of having my water break naturally doesn't bother me, but the idea of feeling a "snap" is kinda making me nervous!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • I am having a mild anxiety attack thinking/reading about this
    If it happens while you're in labor, it's extremely unlikely that you'll even care that it's happening.
  • Mine broke while I was in bed, halfway through a pretty intense contraction. I'd been in labor about 24 hours at that point. Once the contraction was over I jumped out of bed and there was a huge gush, and I just kept leaking. At that point I couldn't have cared less.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"