January 2013 Moms
Options

Mama's who go to school...

I'm seriously contemplating going back to school to get my Masters. If you're in school, full or part-time, please tell me how you're making it work.

I work from home now with one small client, which has so far worked for me. Obviously school will be very different, but I would love to hear how you are (or are not) making it work.
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Mama's who go to school...

• Options
    @katrine_05‌ what are you studying? Thanks for sharing your experiences so far...I also think I'm crazy for even thinking about it but I think I can make it work!
  • Options
    I work in Democratic politics. I would like to keep my client, but am thinking of getting my Masters in political science and women's studies and teach.

Maybe I'm bored, but I loved school and I would love to teach. I've been thinking about it a lot And I'm kind of excited about it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been wanting to go back to school also so I'm interested to see what others say.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ==N====N== member
    I was in school from the time ds was 4 until he was 7 and through my pregnancy with dd until she was 5 months.
    I took night classes, one or two a semester and it worked really well. Each class was 3 hrs, one night a week.
    I tried an online class one semester and that was way harder, I don't recommend it. It's hard to get out of the house sometimes for class but it's even harder to do the class with 2 lo's sitting in your lap.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I am getting my Master's in Education/School Counseling. I will *hopefully* be done next year. It definitely has its challenges and can be stressful at times but I'm glad that I did it.

Personally, I love that my school offers the majority of courses I need online. My husband works an odd schedule and it makes it easier on me and less times to get a babysitter. I also would say take it at your own pace. When I started the program I was taking 3 classes at a time but when I was pregnant and right after she was born I only took one at a time. I'm back up to full time now and I definitely have to schedule in time to do work.  Luckily my husband helps out.

I think it's definitely possibly you just have to plan out your options. I specifically picked my school because it had evening grad classes and online options. I only work part time right now which makes planning classes a little easier. I'm a little stressed about starting  a full time internship in the fall but I know I just have to buckle down and get through it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am a Kindergarten Teacher. I already have my Master but I am currently taking more credits. I am lucky enough that it is online ((More work but a great convenience)). Most nights DD is in bed by 7 so I try and cram as much as I can in after bedtime. 

It;s hard but I use her as my motivation. Trying to give her a better life!
  • Options
    I think it depends on the program.  First, I am not sure a MA will allow you to teach.  I have an MS and am on hiatus from a PhD.  There is a large community college by my house, and it is likely that at some point they will have an opening because they hire about 50 adjuncts in my area.  However, the pay is low enough that it wouldn't be worth it to work there unless I only got night/weekend/online courses or if I had really cheap/free childcare.  I have a ton of teaching experience, but I cannot get jobs at the large universities near me because they generally want a completed PhD and very specific experience.  The university closest to me just does not hire very many adjuncts and I would never have the publication record to work there as faculty.  I think humanities is pretty flooded with people, although perhaps with your interesting work experience, you would be a good candidate to teach in some programs.  I wouldn't say an MA would guarantee you a spot tho, and the pay would probably be terrible.  

As for the school years, you might get teaching opportunities as a student.  I have found that having children does not go too well with culture in research-focused programs since you are expected to be up all night working, go to visiting scholar lectures that could be scheduled at any time, attend conferences and workshops that extend over weekends, etc. In many programs, the students are very young, competitive, and enthusiastic and research discussions revolve around bars and late nights at the library.  When PhDs are being trained, sometimes MA students get the short end of the stick when it comes to opportunities and pay.  If you are in a more professional program with people who already have jobs, you may find more evening classes and online classes, and that you are not the only one with other priorities.  However, the trade off might be that you are missing a lot of the exciting culture.  This is not to say that returning to school wouldn't help you or be fun.  You should look for a funded program unless you are wealthy.  I think you should only pay tuition in grad school if you have a clear career path the degree is opening for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"