July 2014 Moms

Baby carriers for dads?

I bought myself a baby k'tan and was planning to get a boba that both my husband and I could use when out of the house/walking/groceries.

Now H tells me he wants a "snuggly" carrier for him too so he can keep baby in a wrap position when he is home playing video games etc (*eye roll). He doesn't think the boba will be comfortable while sitting down etc.

Recommendations anyone? Should I just get him his own k'tan or will the boba be suitable for sitting on the couch and what not. Just don't want to pay for another k'tan that I don't think will get used much.

Thanks!

Re: Baby carriers for dads?

• FTM - We plan to get a Beco Gemini for DH, and me when I don't feel like a wrap. I already purchased a Girsol wrap for myself.
  • I have a black and red ring sling DH will use.  He can keep it up high and sit to play his video games if needed but honestly when sitting down we wont have the baby wrapped for the most part.  DH will also use the ring sling while standing and doing things like dishes. 

I have a Wrapsody wrap for myself but DH probably wont learn how to tie a wrap.

We also have an Ergo but I don't intend on getting the infant insert so we wont use it much until LO gets bigger.

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Can I suggest that you look into a beco rather than the boba? I've had both and the fabric on the beco is much softer and more comfy. Plus you can do hip position in the beco.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I second not getting a boba. I swapped mine for an ergo and like it so much better. I made a cheapo ktan from some old T-shirts that worked for chillin in the house just fine. I never took it out as it was pink and white, but it was super easy to make.
    My iPad apologizes for it's lack of formatting.

image   image

• Why would he want the kid to be used to being in a carrier when he's just sitting there playing video games? For me, I'm a fan of just having a length of fabric and wrapping the baby in a front carry that way. There's other carry and position options and plenty of videos online to learn them.
  • AKbadwolf said:

I have a black and red ring sling DH will use.  He can keep it up high and sit to play his video games if needed but honestly when sitting down we wont have the baby wrapped for the most part.  DH will also use the ring sling while standing and doing things like dishes. 

We also have an Ergo but I don't intend on getting the infant insert so we wont use it much until LO gets bigger.

@akbadwolf Have you ever tried folding a receiving blanket up in the bottom of the Ergo and then using it instead of the infant insert?  We did this for baby #2 and it worked great, even when he was a newborn.

OP, my husband has always used our Ergo just fine.  He didn't need his own separate baby carrier.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • brownie123brownie123 member
    edited April 2014
    Can't you share the k'tan??

Not being snarky. Just wondering if there's a reason.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I got the x-small k'tan so think it will be much to small on hubby. He would probably be a medium. K'tan is specific sizing like t-shirts. I will look into some of the other options that you ladies suggested thanks!
  • iris427 said:
    AKbadwolf said:

I have a black and red ring sling DH will use.  He can keep it up high and sit to play his video games if needed but honestly when sitting down we wont have the baby wrapped for the most part.  DH will also use the ring sling while standing and doing things like dishes. 

@akbadwolf Have you ever tried folding a receiving blanket up in the bottom of the Ergo and then using it instead of the infant insert?  We did this for baby #2 and it worked great, even when he was a newborn.

OP, my husband has always used our Ergo just fine.  He didn't need his own separate baby carrier.

We didn't get the Ergo till DD was bigger and didn't need the infant insert.  If DH decides he wants to use the Ergo, we will try it.  Thanks :)

13 yr old boy with ASD, ADHD and PICA, 11 yr old boy, 3 yr old Girl, & baby Girl.

imageimage

• SO picked out the ergo and I got the moby. I'm sure we'll both use both at some point, but he will be working a ton the first couple months so by the time the ergo gets used I doubt we'll need an insert for it.
  • I keep thinking if you asked my husband, he would say I'm the best and most snuggly baby carrier .
  • I am glad MH won't ever read this! He never even thought to wear DS so that he could play video games, and he figured out really quickly that holding him and trying to play at the same time was a hot mess. It really curbed his "need" for gaming!

• I actually prefer the fit and comfort of my Boba to my ergo (granted the fabric on my organic ergo is amazing).  The boba also fits my husband better, the straps are longer and easier for him to adjust.  The Ergo is great too, but it will really come to personal preference, both are good choices (as are a beco or tula).

• TULA!! Check them out.. Both me and the hubby wear the same one!! They are amazing!!
  • Why would he want the kid to be used to being in a carrier when he's just sitting there playing video games? For me, I'm a fan of just having a length of fabric and wrapping the baby in a front carry that way. There's other carry and position options and plenty of videos online to learn them.

I would think it's better for the baby to be worn while he's playing video games rather than laying in a swing, bouncer, etc.

ETA: my husband liked the ease of the Ergo and also didn't mind the babyhawk Mei tai.
    Yah i think it's sort of cute he wants to hold baby while doing something else. He got the idea from my cousins husband... Granted no video games would be better lol
  • I didn't really have a need for a carrier in the house... just preferred to hold her and it didn't really slow down my gaming at all.  I love having the Boba 4g for hiking and geocaching - It's been great front or back.
    there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • My husband isn't a gamer, but loved the ergo

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Husband and I are both getting K'Tan . He is bigger than me so we need different sizes. We loved the one my sister had. My nephew loved his it's snuggly so hopefully our LO will like it too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"