Pregnant after 35
Options

Unexpected Panorama results- Big update

Eastie156Eastie156 member
edited April 2014 in Pregnant after 35

Has anyone had Panorama results that indicated a likelihood of Trisomy 13/18 and it been a false-positive? I got my Panorama results back and it indicated Trisomy 13, so I went yesterday for a cvs test. We are obviously very anxious and are hoping it's confined only to the placenta.

Update: we got our initial "fish" test back from the cvs test. It's negative. While this is good news, the geneticist said we need to be cautiously optimistic about the fact that they don't know whose cells they pulled, which is why they need to wait the full 10 days. Final update: the baby does not have Trisomy 13. After the full wait time of the cvs testing, no triple strands of cells were present. I'm very, very relieved.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

Re: Unexpected Panorama results- Big update

• Options
    I am considering this test...  but haven't had it yet....

Let us know what happens.   Best of luck.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I don't have experience with that, but wanted to wish you luck.  I hope that you receive your results quickly and receive good news.   Best wishes!

Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MCH77MCH77 member
    I will be thinking of you.  I hope everything is fine.

BFP #1 March 24, 2010; missed m/c May 26, 2010 @ 12w 4d; D&E May 28, 2010

BFP #2 Oct 20, 2010; My little boy was born on July 5, 2011

BFP #3 April 30, 2013; Chemical Pg May 5, 2013

BFP #4 Aug 22, 2013; It's a boy.  Loss discovered at 24 weeks on Jan 15, 2014 (cause CMV virus)    

<3 We love and miss you Timothy <3

BFP #5 April 6, 2014; missed m/c May 15, 2014 @ 9 weeks; Misoprostol May 15, 2014; D&C May June 3, 2014

• Options
    IhopeIhope member
    Thoughts and prayers that all will be ok
  • Options
    MrsDLMrsDL member
    T&Ps. I have no personal experience with it but have read many stories about this happening in other forums and then CVS or amnio is fine, baby is fine - particular with a positive screen for 13/18.  It makes me worry - I just took Materniti21 last week and I'm waiting.

• Options
    MrsDLMrsDL member

OP - I found this:

There is a common misunderstanding about "false positive rate" and I see some people are worried because of it so here we go:

False positive rate = false positives/all tests

False positive rate =/= false positives/all positives

It's counter-intuitive especially for low-incidence cases such as DS.

For example, study shows that Maternit21 has 99.8% specificity, which means 0.2% false positive rate. It also has 99.1% sensitivity, which means it can detect 99.1% of all the DS cases.

Since launch there have been about 3500 tests. I don't know what's the incidence of DS in the tested population but since the test is only recommended to high risk group which usually have a 1/2 to 1/200ish odds of DS, let's assume the allover DS incidence being 1/100. So by definition, if the study statistics can translate into real life situation, so far the test would have identified:

# of True positve cases = 3500 x (1/100) x 99.1% = 35
    # of False positive cases = 3500 x 0.2% = 7

Bottom line is:

If you got a positive result from MaterniT21, there is still a 7/(7+35)=1/6 chance that it's wrong. And that is why a positive result needs confirmation by amnio/cvs.

Good luck to all!

• Options
    Best of luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsDL said:
    T&Ps. I have no personal experience with it but have read many stories about this happening in other forums and then CVS or amnio is fine, baby is fine - particular with a positive screen for 13/18.  It makes me worry - I just took Materniti21 last week and I'm waiting.

@MrsDL I've also been doing more research on Panorama as well. (different than Matrrniti21, they claim they are more accurate/less false positives than M21-who really knows..) there have been a number of false positives and I've even read if your BMI is high, it can affect the results, because there's less fetal DNA to be found in general.

• Options
    Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited April 2014
    MrsDL said:

@MrsDL, I've also read this happening, but with the old testing which is 97% accurate. I tried searching the bump for anyone who's had a false positive with Panorama and couldn't find anyone. The thing that scares me is that Panorama is s/b 99% accurate.

• Options
    I don't know any more information than posted above, but wanted to offer positive thoughts, hugs, and crossed fingers for good news while you wait for the final CVS results.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"