December 2014 Moms
Options

Prenatals

goatlady12goatlady12 member
edited April 2014 in December 2014 Moms

I've been taking the same prenatals since we started TTC back in October.  For about a week I've been getting super sick after I take them.  I even tried changing time of the day and it still happens.  What brand of vitamins are you all taking, and have you had any problems?

ETA, I take them with food.

my read shelf:
Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Prenatals

• Options
    I take Leader brand (store brand at my pharmacy). I take them at night before I go to bed, and I've never noticed a problem with them. Have you tried the gummies? Sometimes they are easier to tolerate.
    Jimmie, mama to Zoey (March 2011)
    Losses 5/13, 8/13, and 3/14. 
    Expecting another GIRL! Carter Grace due on 12/25.

• Options
    I take the vita fusion gummy prenatals and the vita fusion calcium+fiber...I've been doing really well on them and never feel sick.
    RPL Panel, CD 3 BW, Karyotype, SIS all normal, We have a PLAN!
    Romans 8:18-For I consider the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I swear by the gummies. I started taking them with my last pregnancy when the pills were making me sick. The gummies were way easier to take and they're tasty. There's also some chocolate ones that I tried for a month that were really good, too. I couldn't find them locally so I just stuck with the gummies and bought a big bottle of them when we started trying. Love them!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • Options
    I take the Kirkland brand prenatal vitamins. I take them in the morning while I eat breakfast and have never had any issues. I have been on them since before I got pregnant with dd.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    For now I'm taking the gummie prenatal. 2nd tri I'll go back to the horse pill. I just can't right now ick.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Options
    haleyusfhaleyusf member
    edited April 2014
    damerida said:
    I take Rainbow Light food based prenatals. I really like them, plus they have probiotics.  They are huge so can be hard to swallow but once I get them down I never have an upset stomach.  Of course, nausea hasn't been much of an issue for me yet.  I've been taking them for over a year and I love them!
    I take these, too; the Rainbow Light One (only one pill a day vs some of the other versions which are up to 4 pills a day). I've had no issues and take them at night before going to bed. My prenatals made me really sick with DS, so the fact that I'm not sick with these is a blessing. Also, I haven't had any issues with constipation, and I'm guessing that is to do with the included probiotics.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• Options
    damerida said:

I take Rainbow Light food based prenatals. I really like them, plus they have probiotics.  They are huge so can be hard to swallow but once I get them down I never have an upset stomach.  Of course, nausea hasn't been much of an issue for me yet.  I've been taking them for over a year and I love them!

I'm also taking these. Agree they are a little large and can be tough to get down, but so far no stomach issues. I take them after breakfast.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I take the Spring Valley with Folic Acid. I bought them at wal mart and they were not expensive at all. They seem to be fine with me so far. When the bottle is done, I will go to Rainbow light though.
  • Options
    ZAP12ZAP12 member
    I take some random brand now, but when I was sick last time, I took Flintstones vitamins. My OB completely OKed and recommended it and it was much easier on my stomach than even gummy prenatals.
    Baby Z: 5/21/12

**December 2014 September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall - Fall Leaves and Apple Cider**
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm just taking a folic acid supplement. But I've heard the gummies can be really gentle if you have bad MS. GL!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • Options
    I bought a cheap bottle of Spring Valley when we decided to TTC. I still have about half a bottle left. I've been taking them with no issues. Unless my doctor tells me to take something different on Monday, I'll probably stick with them.

<CafeMom Tickers>

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I take the Wegman's brand of prenatal gummies.  You are supposed to take two daily and I take one after breakfast and one after dinner, I think breaking them up like that helps. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been taking the Vitamin Shoppe brand One Daily and Folic Acid, plus their Omega-3 w/DHA vitamins and never had any issues.  Try taking your pills with milk too; it coats your stomach

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    As mentioned, try taking it at nights with dinner. I have problems even when not pregnant....and this is the only thing that seems to help. Always eat something while taking them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Currently taking Garden of Life. But I also like Rainbow Light, Nature's Sunshine Products, and one other brand that is escaping my memory at the moment...

I only take raw/whole food vitamins though which are more costly. 
    If you don't care about quality you may not be willing to pay $30-$50/bottle...
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• Options
    Rainbow Light here, too. I took them all through my first pregnancy, and never had stomach issues with them. I also take Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Nature Made. They've never made me sick. I take them after my largest meal, usually dinner.
  • Options
    This is awesome.  I thought I was a weirdo for taking Rainbow Light!  Glad to hear it's working for others too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips.  I'll pick up something else next time I'm out and about.  I think I might try gummies, I'm so sick of pills!

my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    MAMAxB said:

Currently taking Garden of Life. But I also like Rainbow Light, Nature's Sunshine Products, and one other brand that is escaping my memory at the moment...

I only take raw/whole food vitamins though which are more costly. 
    If you don't care about quality you may not be willing to pay $30-$50/bottle...
    ^^^Why would you even say something like that? You basically just said if you don't pay above $30 for your prenatal you don't care about your supplement or baby. You don't want to be judged, but yet you are doing a whole lot of judging around here.

I am not going to even talk about how inaccurate your statement is BC the last time we engaged in a conversation about prenatals you never followed up or gave me anything credible to go off of.

• Options

Belle3184 said:

Nature Made. They've never made me sick. I take them after my largest meal, usually dinner.

I take these too. Ya know, since I don't care about quality.
    I like Nature Made too. They are one of tge brands that never made me feel sick. Plus they are inexpensive and you won't catch me paying 30 to 50 dollars a bottle for some vitamins.
    T: 10/04/06 L: 4/22/09 Baby: EDD: 1/30/14 MMC & D&C: 7/3/13
    Baby 2: EDD: 8/06/14 CP: 11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    emucolemanemucoleman member
    edited April 2014
    I take Rainbow Light as well, the ones you only have to take one a day. I also got a free sample where you take 4 pills a day, but honestly I had a really hard time remembering to take them all day long (I don't have a very regular schedule). So I take the horse pill--but if you have trouble doing that, there are others that are smaller and easier to take. 

ETA: Forgot to mention that I have been taking these since just before I got pregnant and I have had very little nausea and no constipation. I don't know if it's because I take Rainbow Light, but it could be! 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like Nature Made too.  I've been taking them for years now, actually.  I started a year before we conceived our son and just kept taking them.  I'll probably take them throughout this pregnancy and during breastfeeding too.  They helped my son develop properly, so I see no reason to change.

Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Innate baby & Me first and second tri
  • Options
    I've tried the gummies, but they were really low on the amt of vit a, c, etc, compared to the two pill brands. I've tried the Similac (made me vomit this morning and the other day) and the one a day prenatal. I like the One a Day best!
  • Options
    I take the Rainbow Light Prenatal Petite.  These are smaller (similar to the size of an Advil) so you have to take 3 a day.  I have a hard time swallowing the huge vitamins so this works for me.  I usually take all 3 at the same time instead of throughout the day.  I love them.
    BFP 5/6/12 MC 5/23/12
    BFP 7/22/12 DD born 4/9/13
    BFP 4/11/14 EDD 12/18/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I take the Rainbow Lite Prenatal. $10 at Target.  They are big, but I cut them in half with my pill slicer. Trust me, I have always had issues with prenatals, but not with these. I also take the Target brand DHA as they are not fish based.
  • Options
    As someone who has been pregnant (or trying to get pregnant) practically non-stop for two years, and so always on prenatals, I swear by Rainbow Light. I tried gummies but at some point during the first trimester they made me really nauseous. Also take DHA and folic acid, as recommended by my docs. At a different time of day I take calcium, and I take it at a different time because calcium can block the absorption of other vitamins.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I take preg-vit 5 which is a prescription prenatal. It's split into day and night so as to not be so harsh on the stomach.
  • Options
    londonmummylondonmummy member
    edited April 2014
    I take Pregnacare Plus with Omega 3, I started on the first day of my last period as I knew we would be trying and we got pregnant :) Before that I had been taking Pregnacare conception, it had a decent amount of folic acid and iron. I had been on prescription iron before and during my last pregnancy for iron deficient anaemia and it was now under control. Taking the Pregnacare kept my iron at a good level, so my doctor said to continue if nothing changed, I will be getting some bloodwork done to check my iron levels again now that I'm pregnant again.
  • Options
    My doc prescribed me Vitafol-One. They are small gel-tabs and go down very easily.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Rainbow light organic prenatal multi. It's made from all organic fruits & veggies. No nausea from them-even on an empty stomach. You take 2-4 a day and on Amazon they run about $19 so one bottle can last a month or two. My blood tests revealed that I'm not deficient in any area so I only need 2 a day. They aren't hard for me to swallow.
    Btw-I disagree that the vits have to be expensive to be good/high quality. These can run as low as $10 a month and they are quite good.
  • Options
    feliciaw86feliciaw86 member
    edited April 2014
    I take Nature Made with DHA, I like them. They're gel capsules, which are usually easier on the stomach than caplets. I can't stand the after taste of gummy vitamins, I think it's the zinc.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    UGH...I think my doc got one over on me. He has me on Citra-Natal which is TWO FREAKING PILLS every day. I guess this is one of the lessons to be learned as a first timer. Thankfully I take pills well and they don't make me sick at all. And of course, as a super gung ho "I'm going to do everything just perfect to have a perfect baby" kind of person (I hate me too) now I have a three month supply sitting at home. Sometimes you just gotta laugh...  :))

• Options
    Nature Made… they're giant horse pills that smell like fish oil… but I ordered a zillion of them on Amazon and had them shipped here to Ecuador (good ones here aren't easy to come by).  Not a huge fan, but they get the job done if I take them with food.
    {May Siggy Challenge}
    Favorite TV mom: Janelle's Mom

BabyFruit Ticker
    Flor Maria
  • Options
    Another Rainbow Light girl here. Took prescription Neevo with both girls, but don't want to pay the $45/month my insurance would make me pay this time. So I just take Rainbow Light and then add l-methlyfolate daily (Nobody freak out...I have to worry about enough folic acid due to MTHFR. For most, one prenatal vitamin is plenty!)
    BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I used to throw up after mine.  I take them now before bed.

Right now I'm on the enfamil brand of prenatals
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"