March 2014 Moms

Experience with baby acne?

Hello. Does anybody have experience with baby acne at 3 weeks? Baby started getting acne last week and it seems to be getting worse. Saw pedi and he said it's normal, to just clean her face w warm water and no soap he also wants me to switch from mustela brand to dove white bar soap... Isn't that too harsh for baby's sensitive skin? He didn't seem to think so.... Any one used this and helped? Or used something different? The acne is just in her face around her nose and eyes... It's driving me nuts seeing my babies beautiful face like this. Thanks

Re: Experience with baby acne?

• My pedi prescribed a cream for it (took baby in because it spread to her ears, scalp, neck, etc. and I thought it was a rash). Cleared it up in two days.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
  • My baby also got acne at 3 weeks. Now at 5 weeks it's spread to his neck /upper chest. It's frustrating for us, but they don't mind.

I have been washing his face wish a warm washcloth every morning and then during his bath every other day I'll wash it with the aveeno baby shampoo/wash I have. His isn't getting any better, in fact it's getting worse. They say it can take up to 3 months to go away. Good luck mama!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker    image

Our English Bulldog, Ulga born 4/9/2013

Baby Boy Xander born 3/13/2014

• Loading the player...
  • So just warm water? What do you think of dove for her body ??? Isn't that too harsh ?
  • Our pedi recommended hydrocortisone-I haven't used any though. I've put a little coconut oil on it every few days and that seems to help. I've heard you can put breastmilk on it too. But, it'll go away on its own.
  • I will try the breast milk thanks! I was told by my grandmother yesterday to use little bit of baby oil too so last night before bed I cleaned her face w warm water and rubbed a little bit of baby Johnson oil. I will try coconut since it is more natural .
  • I will pump soon after this feeding and will put some in her face. I winlet you know if this works I don't want to try too many things at once and this is the more natur way of treating it. Thanks !
  • I went in for it this week, too. It started spreading down his back and I was a little concerned. Doc said I the absence if any other symptoms, it's just baby acne and it may get a little worse before it gets better. No instructions on what to do differently.

I have been putting breastmilk on it.

Doc did reassure me that it doesn't bother baby at all, even though they look angry and red. That made me feel better.
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • My dr asked me if I noticed her scratching but I don't think she does. I have mittens in her hands just in case she does scratches her face . I really hope it goes away soon. She has a beautiful face and hate seeing it like this. I know she is not in pain but I get annoyed when people (family) ask me what's up w her face!
  • I used breastmilk and it cleared up
  • Lol I have said that! Drives me nuts !
  • Mine has it something awful.
    It's normal. I just wipe his face with a clean, warm, wet cloth.

MIL asked what the doc though of his 'rash'.
    Ummm,...he didn't say anything about it because its acne. Nothing to be concerned with.
    (The only newborns she has really been near are mine, so I have to teach her about babies,...sigh)
  • Both of our babies had acne and we started wiping their face daily in the mornings with just a wet cloth.  It went away really quick - about a week!
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • I want to echo the breastmilk. My LO had some baby acne, and breastmilk cleared it right up.
  • My baby got it at 4 weeks and it was BAD! It was all over her face, neck and ears. I thought for sure it was an allergic reaction but the pedi said it's just bad acne. I also stopped using mustella in her face and just used warm water. I did use eucrin cream because it was getting really dry. It has now (7 weeks) 95% cleared up. She does have some discoloration on her cheeks where it was really bad but I think that will clear up soon.

I knew it didn't hurt her but I'm glad it's gone.

This is the cream i used
  • I used FRAGRANCE FREE aveeno baby soap. Then baby powder helped dry it up.

Breastmilk seemed to just wet it too much and made it worse.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My LO had it bad from week 2-5. I took him in because it had spread to his ears & was oozing orange stuff. Dr. said it was normal & to just wipe his face & ears with a warm washcloth a few times a day & it would eventually go away. Being the impatient person that I am I applied cortizone cream to his face twice a day after wiping it & within 2 days his face & ears were cleared up completely. Now I just apply cortizone once a day after his morning face wipe-down & his skin is perfect.

I think that because the cortizone cleared it up it was more of a rash or a bit if eczema rather than baby acne. Our doctor said it was baby acne though. Whatever, it's gone & I'm happy.
  • Cash has it at 4 weeks. It's not too bad but has gotten worse these past few days. Just tried breast milk on it. We shall see. Tempted to try it on my own acne, that is a new addition to my post partum face.
  • amholley1amholley1 member
    edited April 2014
    I use the baby aveeno lotion for eczema since her skin seemed to get reall irritated and dry with her acne. This lotion has been a life saver, and works awesome. She no longer looks like her cheeks hate her. You can see it in this picture how red they were.

• amholley1amholley1 member
    edited April 2014
    Double picture less post

• Here is a before/after kinda thing
    Before is her in the dress. The other one I just took right now.

• Just wanted to add that it's caused by hormones from baby and often mom, at least according to my LC, and it usually peaks at 4 weeks. It just has to do its thing and clear up on its own... I don't think creams or soaps or even breast milk will speed up the process.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• @amholley1‌ your baby is adorable! Thank you I will try that
  • I'd leave it alone entirely. It's normal and will go away on its own.

This. DD has it now. DS had it around this age too and it went away on it's own.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"