July 2014 Moms

Is this preeclampsia?

Let me caveat this by saying at my 24 week check up last week I did NOT have high blood pressure. High for me since I have notoriously low blood pressure, but it was within the normal range. If I recall correctly it was like 118 over 75ish. 

That said, twice now in the last couple of weeks I have had these "episodes" in which I feel VERY faint and flush - like I could pass out at any second. It was so bad it made me feel pretty nauseous too, though I didn't get sick. Although I didn't see the classic "spots", I did feel like I needed to grab onto a wall due to my vision feeling like it was "closing in". In addition, I've gained 10 lbs in the last month. This is the only weight I have gained for this pregnancy, but I did gain it all in one month. 

I asked the nurse at my 24 week appt how my blood pressure was, and she said it was fine and asked if I was having headaches. Truthfully I had bad headaches from weeks 12 - 16, but those had pretty much subsided so I told her no. So, she told me it was nothing to worry about and I didn't bring it up to my doctor. I have put a call into my doctor this morning and I am waiting to hear back. But I am just curious if any of you have had pre-eclampsia and didn't actually have high blood pressure. Or, if you've had these symptoms before and know if it is indicative of something else. TIA!
BFP #1 4/07, 6/07 MMC 9w6d D&C |
DX PCOS/annovulatory |
BFP #2 (50 mg Clomid) 11/8/10, Natural MC 11/25/10 |
Dec '10, Cycle #1 (50 mg Clomid) BFN |
Jan '11 Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid) BFN |
Feb '11 Cycle #3 (100 mg Clomid & HCG trigger) BFN |
March '11 Cycle #4 (100 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) BFN |
April '11 Cycle #5 (150 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) = BFP --> Beta #1 12DPO: 48, Beta #2 14dpo: 171, Progesterone: 105, Beta #3 19dpo: 2,418 |

It's a girl!  Healthy DD born 1/20/12 @ 39 weeks |

TTC #2 9/13 Cycle #1 (no meds) BFN |
10/13 Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid, Estradiol)  BFN |
11/13 Cycle #3 (unexpected break cycle) = BFP --> Beta #1 18DPO: 2501, Progesterone 39, Beta #2 20DPO: 4924

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Is this preeclampsia?

• JayBzoJayBzo member
    edited April 2014
    I think you have to have high blood pressure and protein in your urine. It is definitely nothing to mess with, but can develop somewhat quickly I think. My friend had no issues, went to her regular OB appt this week they found she had both of the above symptoms and ended up doing an emergency c-section at 3AM. 

ETA: to say she already said she had a call in to her doc which is why I didn't mention it. I think you are doing the right thing to call, it can be very dangerous. Better to be safe!

• Loading the player...
  • Obviously, you'll want to trust your doctor's advice, but in my non-professional opinion, that sounds like it could be related to low-blood sugar.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • While you're waiting for your doctor to call you back, you can also go to almost any pharmacy and they will have the blood pressure cuffs that you can check your blood pressure.  I would do that and if it is high (top number above 140) call L&D immediately.

DSC_0111DSC_0036

DS Born 4/7/2011
    DD Born 7/14/2014
  • If you're really concerned call your doc. We are not medical experts (well some of us might be undercover) but - doc knows better. You can go get your blood pressure checked at CVS. Or buy an at-home monitor and start keeping a log of your BP.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I monitor mine at home. My office said it's the bottom number they're really concerned with and to call if it's ever over 90. TBH I agree it sounds like low blood sugar to me too.

Let us know what they say.
    imageimage

BFP #1 11.10.13 EDD 07.22.14 Stick baby cake!
    image https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/ee/d355aa73ed49767417acbbe29ed0e6.png  BabyFruit Ticker

• Good Iuck! I had pre-e and it wasn't fun. I always had high bp. (Were talking 160/90+ After being on medication)
  • Sounds like anemia to me, did they check your iron levels?
  • I hope not! I don't know much about it except for protein in your urine, high bp, and extreme weight gain. Good luck.
  • @quinncat, how were you told to look for protein in your urine?? I've been told that this is through the 24 hour urine collections (typically), not something you would notice at home.
  • That does not sound like preeclampsia.  Check out the list of symptoms to watch for at https://www.preeclampsia.org/‎  Your blood pressure is good too.  It needs to be over 140/90 for a diagnosis. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

BFP#2 7/3/13.  U/S at 6w4d showed 1 heartbeat at 127 bmp and 2 empty sacs.  MMC discovered at 10w4d.  D&C 8/27/13.  Pathology showed normal boy.  Missing our babies every day.
    BFP#3 10/29/13!  Beta#1 at 4w5d - 2141, beta#2 at 5w1d - 7651!  U/S 11/21/13 showed baby measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 127 bmp!
  • I had alot of those symptoms with my last pregnancy (3rd) and pre-e came on eventually but I felt so shitty and she was taken by emergency c-section at 36 weeks hours after being diagnosed. Now my 2nd pregnancy, I felt completely fine and had no symptoms but my Dr said that something seemed off. My results came back fine. 8 hours later I came back for more testing and still felt great. Blood pressure was 138/85 earlier that day was 130/78. Had me go to L&D. I was there an hour and my BP went to 225/116. I felt a little off but still felt good overall. Protein was being spilled and blood tests abnormal. Emergency c-section right there and then 37 weeks. I've been diagnosed pre-e since 19 weeks. Some days I feel fine even great and other days I have symptoms. But my bp is similar on both days. Also there are urine test strips that can test for protein in urine. The box tells you to call your dr for an official diagnosis of protein in urine but I find it to be a good tracking tool. Protein in urine can also be a UTI. I think you should always get checked out no matter what. I'm not trying to scare people but you can have something and not even know it or even feel ok. Plus everyone reacts differently to things.
  • Im a FTM and nearly 26 weeks pregnant. I have had very swollen hands, feet, legs and face for a good few weeks now. Each time my bp is checked it comes as normal and so does my urine. I have had headaches recently and feeling sluggish as well. The doctors and midwives say it is nothing to worry about now but I am scared this could possibly turn to pre-e later!
  • @Yghani, I'm definitely not trying to blow off your symptoms or anything, but depending on how you're eating and taking care of yourself, swelling can be a normal pregnancy symptom.  Definitely the same with feeling sluggish... and headaches develop for a variety of reasons, including stress, pulling muscles in weird ways, etc.

While those can be *signs* of pre-e, they are definitely not what determines that you have it... which would be the protein and BP that your doctors and midwives all say is normal (for now, at least).
  • Call the doc and tell your symptoms. I had episodes during my first pregnancy where I would pass out and my iron had been borderline low during my previous visit. They didn't inform me cuz I was 2 numbers off. I started in taking more iron and symptoms subsided. I'm not saying in any way your is your iron, but do not panic. Just call and tell them what's going on!
  • Do you know if your iron is low? I've had dizzy spells and have felt faint here and there. Its been a little better since ive started taking iron pills. I also have super low blood pressure so maybe it could be related to that? Just some ideas. Good luck :)
  • I had pre-e with DD...it started at about 30 wks. My only symptoms...very swollen all over and was very tired. And then I went into labor. Pre-e is different for everyone I was diagnosed with severe pre-e with moderate hypertension. My bp wasn't the issue is was the protein in my urine. I basically stopped peeing, so this time I'm very conscious of how much I pee during the day (like a big weirdo).
  • edited April 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I have responded. The dr's nurse ended up calling me back last Thursday and told me to either get some rest, eat good, and splash some water on my face or go to the hospital. Naturally I chose the former. I didn't feel better until early afternoon the next day. I was doing fine until last night when I had another episode. So I broke down and got a BP monitor last night. So far my BP is registering normal. I plan to just keep monitoring it at home and bring it up again to my doctor at my 28 week appointment in a week and a half. Obviously if I see anything to be really alarmed about I will go to the hospital in the meantime, but I am hopeful that isn't the case. I've also noticed in the last 3 days my feet getting swollen. With my first pregnancy I only had like 3 occassions of swollen feet, none lasting more than just a few hours. I know swelling is a typical pregnancy symptom and every pregnancy is different but I hope this isn't another early sign that my final trimester isn't going to be without complications.
    BFP #1 4/07, 6/07 MMC 9w6d D&C |
    DX PCOS/annovulatory |
    BFP #2 (50 mg Clomid) 11/8/10, Natural MC 11/25/10 |
    Dec '10, Cycle #1 (50 mg Clomid) BFN |
    Jan '11 Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid) BFN |
    Feb '11 Cycle #3 (100 mg Clomid & HCG trigger) BFN |
    March '11 Cycle #4 (100 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) BFN |
    April '11 Cycle #5 (150 mg Clomid, HCG trigger, & IUI) = BFP --> Beta #1 12DPO: 48, Beta #2 14dpo: 171, Progesterone: 105, Beta #3 19dpo: 2,418 |

It's a girl!  Healthy DD born 1/20/12 @ 39 weeks |

TTC #2 9/13 Cycle #1 (no meds) BFN |
    10/13 Cycle #2 (100 mg Clomid, Estradiol)  BFN |
    11/13 Cycle #3 (unexpected break cycle) = BFP --> Beta #1 18DPO: 2501, Progesterone 39, Beta #2 20DPO: 4924

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Don't your doctors monitor this? I'm 30 weeks and going to doctor now every two weeks. They always test my pee and take my blood pressure. I'm sure they would catch it, right?
  • flajewel said:
    Don't your doctors monitor this? I'm 30 weeks and going to doctor now every two weeks. They always test my pee and take my blood pressure. I'm sure they would catch it, right?
    I can come on in a matter of hours or days.

• If your blood pressure is normal I'd probably think it was anemia. Are you taking iron pills?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"