July 2014 Moms

Game of thrones (spoilers)

2»

Re: Game of thrones (spoilers)

• So, you all have seen the lastest episode by now if you are talking about the rape. Littlefinger and the Fool definitely had something to do with it. And I think they were partnered with Old Lady Tyrell. 

See this link I posted last week before the episode aired to see how it happened. But, Littlefinger admitted Sunday to having that necklace made recently and it wasn't an heirloom after all. He also is framing Sansa for it because he likes her and wants to blackmail her into being with him. 

@zarkarella‌ Ya don't judge me but it took me like a day to realize "duh! If he stole Sansa away he obvy had something to do with Joffreys death" my husband laughed at me. I blame pregnancy brain?
    BabyFetus Ticker

image image

• How could anyone think Jamie was starting to be a good person? He threw that stark boy ( so bad with names) out of the tower and I NEVER forgave him for that. Joffrey is just like him and his mom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I see the point of what you guys are saying but I will say - it is kind of funny/interesting how we are totally okay with all the other horrible things going on, but rape we are not okay with. It didn't bother me that much (not that I liked it, I just took it as another bad thing happening) but I do think we get sensitized to other bad/violent/wrong things and tend not to see the gravity of those actions.

I always hated Jamie and Cersi - they both bother me, and for me - I can watch almost anything on TV but family relations/incest is the one thing I can't handle. Can barely watch it. bleh.

• I was totally thrown by that. I've read the books (and love them), and it didn't play that way. He and Cersei always had an...antagonistic relationship, but the rape on the show was way over the top. I hated it, and I think it moves contrary to what his character begins to do. I'm curious to see how that'll change the series from the book perspective, but not happy about it. 

• @LiteraChick - I have no idea about the books - I am a bad reader and went right to the show this time (which is usually against my very being!). So I can't speak to why you would add it to the show if not at all part of the books - agree with you there. And wasn't trying to argue or say it isn't bad - just interesting discussion on what sets people off and what is "okay". And my perspective of the incest being the thing that gets me (no idea why). In all shows, not just this one - just totally freaks me out!

• AcsimAcsim member
    Side note to some previous posters...

1. I'm horrified by the things my parents let me watch when I was younger. I'm not quite sure what they were thinking, especially as I grow older and watch them. I would never let my 7 year old see half the things I saw by her age.

2. I am just getting started on the books but, re: Jamie and Cersei, did y'all see that GRRM made a statement about that scene? Apparently people went nuts about the rape. Because incest and all the other horrible things are fine, just not rape. He said that was all the screenwriters, that is not the way it is in his book, and while yes it is funereal, it is a consensual sexual act. I found that interesting. I know they have to add some spice to the show, but their relationship grosses me out enough without tossing rape in there.
  • I don't get why the scene with Cersi and Jamie was changed either, I had to make husband skip it. There was no need, it was't in the book and it didn't make sense. I'd argue for it being relevant (but still not ok) if it at least made sense but it just seems to have been thrown in for no reason.

In the books, it's consensual and it's also made more of a big deal that Jamie is being nicer (I believe he feels guilty after, if anyone can remember from reading more recently?).  The show didn't really make an effort with it but in the books, he seemed to feel genuinely bad about some of the things he'd done.  When he was travelling with Brienne, he still wound her up but it was in a playful way and seemed to be making more effort to not be a complete tool. I don't remember all the details but I think he and Cersei started to drift a little more towards actual siblings in the book, rather than [insert appropriate label here for what they were].  I believe the book then had him either go off on a mission to do something good or send someone else on his behalf to do whatever task it was but he was definitely floating towards becoming a decent human being and the show has bypassed/ruined that. He may or may not have been intended to stay on track for becoming a good guy but as of the last book I read, he was definitely becoming a better person.

-side note- Incest isn't ok and rape isn't ok and child abuse isn't ok. They had to change from the books a little so as not to offend what was predicted to be a massive audience such as taking out some of these things and making some characters older (like Daeneyris who is 13 when she first appears).  They do seem ok with adding in rape for no reason though. Anyone remember Daeny and Drago's wedding night? In the book, he kept gently asking 'yes?' and eventually she agreed. In the show, he kept saying yes while she said no all along. Subtle, yet offensive.
  • That whole scene was disturbing. Raping your sister right next to your dead inbred son? DAFUQ?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"