TTC after 35
Options

thyroid and RE?

I went to my ob/gyn on Monday and we discussed my blood work. Mostly good news. The only bad news – my tsh was 3.84. MD wants it to be < 2.5. I knew at some point that I’d have the potential for thyroid issues. Most of the women in my family get diagnosed with hypothyroidism around 40. Unfortunately, I guess my issue is showing up a little at this time.

My options are to go through a regular endocrinologist (a.k.a the endo who my relatives work with and like) and get a prescription or see an RE. I made an appointment with an RE in 3 weeks. I think I made the right choice, but it has rocked my nerves. I’m feeling like a crazy drama queen. I just made the appointment on Tuesday and I’ve already called to see if there’s been a cancellation and can get in sooner.

I’m trying to stay away from googling and reading things that will add to my anxiety. Anything that I should know going into the appointment or questions that people wish they asked? Sorry if I'm coming across as a dumb bunny! 

Thank you! 

**** Warning: Children/Loss Mentioned ****

Natural cycle BFP 7/09; "baby bear" born 3/10
Natural cycles starting 7/10; two cycles with clomid = BFP 12/10; m/c 2/2011 
Cycle #3 with clomid = BFP 5/11; "baby lamb" born 2/12
Natural cycles starting Nov 2013; 1/13 chemical pregnancy
RE Apr 2014 Dx = hypothryoidism (Rx for synthroid)
BFP 6/2014 Baby #3 due Feb 2015

Re: thyroid and RE?

• Options
    hmmm both!

1. An endocronologist needs to give you a full thyroid panel ( not just tsh) and a sonogram of your thyroid to make sure you don't have tumors, nodules etc.. they will treat you pre ttc, during pregnacy and after.  The rest of your life.  Since you have a family history this is all super important. It sounds like with your family history you might have hashimotos induced hypothyroidism. That is an autoimmune issue.  I would MAKE SURE they test your thyroid antibodies and if possible ANA antibodies. Thyroid issues effect much more than just TTC....

2. I would get a consult with the RE at this point as it seems you have been doing clomid with an obgyn. you have already done several cycles and you only have a 6x lifetime max.  You might need additional testing and they can guide you.  While they can prescribe you thyroid meds of course they don't much else. ( for example the thyroid sonogram etc...).  If you want to start with your RE that is probably fine but eventually you need a regular endocronologist for the long term.

I see both and they work well together to make sure my thyroid and antibody levels are where they need to be! 

Good luck!  You can always me me with any more questions.

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    @ksgsmu Thank you so much! I really appreciate your advice and info. I'm going to follow your recommendation and make the endo appointment as well. 
    **** Warning: Children/Loss Mentioned ****

Natural cycle BFP 7/09; "baby bear" born 3/10
    Natural cycles starting 7/10; two cycles with clomid = BFP 12/10; m/c 2/2011 
    Cycle #3 with clomid = BFP 5/11; "baby lamb" born 2/12
    Natural cycles starting Nov 2013; 1/13 chemical pregnancy
    RE Apr 2014 Dx = hypothryoidism (Rx for synthroid)
    BFP 6/2014 Baby #3 due Feb 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It certainly can't hurt!!! Good luck!!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    I was just diagnosed with hachimoto thyroid disease (hypothyroid).

I know its always scary to hear tests are abnormal...but honestly this was good news for me.   I have been on the meds for about a month now,  and I feel so much better!

Being over 35,  and ttc,   hypothyroid diagnosis can only help!  The medicine is pretty well tolerated, and it wasn't super expensive.    Having hypothyroid can definitely affect fertility.

I scared myself to death reading online,  but for nothing.  I had a thyroid sonno (which was like a trip to the spa after all my RE appointments.   I have some nodules but they don't look concerning.

My primary care physician actually smiled when she told me.   We are all hopeful that thyroid monitoring and fibroid removal will hold the key to my IF issues :)

Good luck!!  I hope things go smoothly for you!
    image"">
    TTC since 2012
    Me 35, DH 32 -DH SA all clear
    8/97 severe perotinitis infection as a result of ruptured appendix. poss abdomen/tube scarring
    1/12 HSG all clear!
    2/12 Multiple fibroids diagnosed,  2 submucosal
    3/14 Hashimoto diagnosed, began treatment
    3/14 first RE appointment
    5/14 successful lapriscopic myomectomy via power morcellation
    as of 7/14.....not so patiently waiting
    poss IUI/IVF fall 2014
      BIG Surprise BFP Aug 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"