August 2013 Moms
Options

Marriage Counseling

I want to apologize upfront if this doesn't make much sense..

For a while now H and I have had issues-nothing huge. But since LO came things have become even harder. I want to do counseling because I want our marriage to be awesome and more stable for out LO. However, H is really against it (bad experience with ex-wife).

For those of you who did counseling, was your SO against it? Was it really helpful? How do you pick a good counselor?

Obviously, any help or tips would be appreciated! TIA!!

Re: Marriage Counseling

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm in the opposite boat and DH has actually asked that we go.  I asked my closest friends if they knew of anyone and they recommended someone wonderful who really helped them in their marriage (one couple in particular).

I'd calmly explain to YH why you think this is important and like PP said, get him involved in the process.  Review different websites, bios, etc.  Our insurance covers counseling so I first looked on their and then researched the doctors listed (prior to getting friend recs).

GL!

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options

I wanted to do marriage counseling. DH didn't. Now we're getting a divorce. It's not as cut and dry as that, but I honestly think that if we had gone and he had given it a shot, we would still be together.

Good luck, honey. I hope that he sees the light and goes with you.

O was born Aug 13!  <3 B.B.F.L

image Why,Yes! I HAVE missed you both!image

• Options
    We did it a few years ago. My H was dead set against it but it was do it or lose me and he didn't fight me onit. We only did a handful of sessions, talking and working on our communication in front of an unbiased third party was extremely helpful.
    image image

• Options
    I'm sorry @CharmedBAcMF :( ((hugs!))

• Options
    PB102012PB102012 member
    edited April 2014

I went through counseling with my ex husband. We had a good counseler and ex DH was all for going, but I think I waited too long to go. I had already mentally checked out of my marriage so it didnt help me.

I would try and explain to your DH that you and his ex wife are not the same (he wouldn't have married you if you were I am sure), and that it's in the best interest of your LO to work on things.

Good luck and hugs to you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It's never easy to face the fact that things are not the samw. But it's the first step In the right direction. He is probably having a hard time facing it and IMO men have a hard time seeking help for anything. I could see why he is so against it especially if he has already had a bad experience. Maybe try the approach of this is all for you and you could use his help in a session to work through somethings ? That way he doesn't feel like it is a "us" situation, more of a he is supporting you situation. Good luck luv!
  • Options

I wanted to do marriage counseling. DH didn't. Now we're getting a divorce. It's not as cut and dry as that, but I honestly think that if we had gone and he had given it a shot, we would still be together.

Good luck, honey. I hope that he sees the light and goes with you.

hugs @CharmedBAcMF

It sounds like he was probably made to feel like the bad guy with his ex, and now he doesn't want to do therapy. I agree with others that maybe it would help if he got to pick the counselor. He probably felt like he was pulled into therapy before and then got ganged up on. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    I agree with finding a male counselor.  Men who are hesitant have a hard time with a female counselor because of that 'gang up' mentality.  Also, if he's really dead set on not going, maybe consider going by yourself for a bit.  Yes you want to work on the relationship but if that's not an option right now, at lease working on one side of it is better than nothing at all.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @truebeliever925 and @coraggiosa, Thanks guys. Never thought I'd be going down this road but it is what it is. =(

O was born Aug 13!  <3 B.B.F.L

image Why,Yes! I HAVE missed you both!image

• Options
    I didn't mean to bump and run! Today has been insane.

I really appreciate the advice and support. Being grown up is way harder than it should be.

I talked to DH and he said he'd go. He's not happy, but he said he'd go. Now I'm kind of nervous. Bit at least I know he's willing to make the first step.

@CharmedBAcMF‌ I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    We did marriage counseling a year after we got married. It was one of the best decisions we had ever made. I strongly recommend it. We didn't want to go the religious counseling route though. We found a great therapist and it worked great for us.

@charmedBAcMF I am so sorry....
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"