Pregnant after IF

Is a measurement of heartbeat always taken at 6w ultrasound?

I went in for our 6 week ultrasound on Monday - technically I was 6w3d. The RE seemed super pleased and said it looked great (saw the fetal pole, yolk sac) and the little heartbeat (we didn't hear it, just saw it) but they did not give me the measurement on how fast it was beating per minute. This seems like something most people get. I even asked, and they said that he could tell by the US it was good. 

I would be more worried if this wasn't one of the best clinics in my area...so I just decided to trust him. But I'm still feeling a little unsettled. 

Is this odd? It seems like they do things differently than a lot of other experiences I'm reading in the forum. First, only 1 beta (I had to request the 2nd one) and then they don't tell me how fast it's beating. I go back in 2 weeks, then "released" to my OB if all else is good. 

Thanks in advance. 
                                     - ticker/siggy warning -

ivf #1 (MFI): 18 retrieved, 16 fertilized 
     bfp: 8dp3dt, beta #1 10dp3dt: 103, beta #2 14dp3dt 637, EDD: 12.06.14! 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Is a measurement of heartbeat always taken at 6w ultrasound?

• I didnt get a heart rate at 6 weeks, just saw a flicker. My RE gave us a heart rate at our next u/s at 7 weeks. As long as you are measuring well I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. In another 2 weeks you should be able to get a reliable HR.
    Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • At our clinic we only saw the heartbeat for the first two ultrasounds - we didn't get to hear the heartbeat or know how fast it was beating. Not until I had my first OB appointment around 8 or 9 weeks did we get to hear the heartbeat and they told us the heartrate. So don't worry. Your RE said everything looks great so that's wonderful!
    Baby girl born 6/2/14
    2nd baby due 5/15/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks ladies, I'm trying hard not to question every little thing and accept that places do things differently. I've had such an amazing experience at this clinic from the beginning, so I don't want to question them but my mind can't help but wander...thanks for putting me at ease! 
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel that besides clinics... Doctors within the same clinic do things differently. I have 2 friends that went to my clinic... One ha the same RE as I do the other has the RE i saw in my emergency on Sunday..... My RE does the heart rate check at 6.5 weeks . The RE I saw on Sunday doesn't until 8 weeks.....

My clinic keeps their patients throughout the whole first trimester; so that may be a factor in why they check heart rates earlier.

I'm glad to hear that your RE said things look great! Congrats!
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• My RE never gives the heart rate, even at the last appointment before being released. Try not to worry about it, they know by looking that it is ok as it's what they do all day every day.

• I didn't get a heart rate from my RE, my OB gave an estimate and sent me for an in-depth scan to get a more accurate rate.

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• My RE was looking for the fetal pole, yolk sac and flickering HB at the first appt. Those were all good indicators that baby was doing ok. We didn't get to 'hear' the HB for some time and it wasn't until the babies got a little bigger that they started measuring it.

I wouldn't worry about it, it sounds like you're progressing really well :)

• We did get a heartbeat "measurement" at our 6w appt, and got to hear it and everything.  I believe it was 110 or something around there - it's in my siggy.  We even got a pic of the measuring thing going up and down (clearly the technical term for it) on the u/s pic.  That was at 6w2d.  That said, we were warned ahead of time that we may not be able to see or hear it at that point, but it was loud and clear - some ladies can't hear or see it until 7ish weeks.  But I feel like it's common to not get that and just get the visual, as well, from what I've seen on our board.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
    FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15
  • I would just ask to hear it next time, our RE literally let's us hear it for 3 seconds, and my first ultrasound kinda sucked bc she angled the monitor away from me and I couldn't see hardly anything, I wish I would have spoken up, but lots of girls don't hear it until 7/8 weeks, plus I think since u have a male RE he's not as in tuned with the "details" and is not thinking about how precious it would be to hear the hb of your baby you worked so hard for. When's your next appt? @bayareagirl2011‌

DH= burn vic, abn sa MFI|| ME= PCOS, Sarcoidosis, Hypohyroidism HSG-OK
    tried naturally 2011 & 2012-
    TTC with nurse practitioner 2013
    2 clomid cycles- both bfn, started seeing RE 2013 
    FEBUARY PLAN-HSG|| March Game plan-FEMARA IUI+TRIGGER 
    MARCH-BFP (beta1;104-beta2;302)-bc of hsg
    [[all welcome !!!!!!!!!!!! ]]
  • At the 6 week u/s, they were specifically looking for the gestational sac, yolk sac, & fetal pole. We did see the flicker of the heartbeat. Details in my dog (I'm mobile).

We never heard the heartbeat while with the RE, who kept us until the week 9 u/a. We just got to see it and they did measure it.

• We couldn't see the heartbeat in 6W, but did at 7W.  Next time, I'd tell them upfront that what happened last time made you feel uncomfortable, given your past situation, they will hopefully understand and work with you.  Good luck!

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
    IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
    FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

• boyankl said:
    We couldn't see the heartbeat in 6W, but did at 7W.  Next time, I'd tell them upfront that what happened last time made you feel uncomfortable, given your past situation, they will hopefully understand and work with you.  Good luck!

^this, demand to hear it.. Lol there's no reason why, it's not like it costs more lol . .

DH= burn vic, abn sa MFI|| ME= PCOS, Sarcoidosis, Hypohyroidism HSG-OK
    tried naturally 2011 & 2012-
    TTC with nurse practitioner 2013
    2 clomid cycles- both bfn, started seeing RE 2013 
    FEBUARY PLAN-HSG|| March Game plan-FEMARA IUI+TRIGGER 
    MARCH-BFP (beta1;104-beta2;302)-bc of hsg
    [[all welcome !!!!!!!!!!!! ]]
  • The heart literally starts beating at about 6w. We didn't get to hear ours then either.

This is what I've read and I could be wrong. That early, we are not actually "hearing" the heart beat anyway. When done on the ultrasound, the computer measures the heartbeat and then simulates the sound at that speed. So it's not truly "the heartbeat" but a simulation according to your baby's actual heartbeat. Hope this makes sense.

FWIW- My OB won't even try to really hear the hb until after 13 weeks. Until then he used ultrasounds to check the heartrate.

Don't freak, it all sounds normal to me! Hang in there!
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• The u/s I had at the RE was at 6w1d, she said little one measured good and saw a flicker for the heartbeat... didn't have an exact number. She said not to worry because sometimes that's too early. I've graduated back to the OB... I'm not sure when my next u/s will be.

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
    TTC 11/12
    started Metformin 9/13
    HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
    2/14: hopefully 1st IUI... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
    3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
    3/28: beta#1: 108
    4/2: beta#2: 799
    4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
    12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

• pcrumley, my next appointment is the 28th. :) I'll be a little over 8 weeks then.

just wanted to say thank you for all the responses...they were definitely helpful in calming me down after seeing that it can be normal not to hear/get a number at the 6 week appt. I think at the 8 week appointment I will ask to hear it for sure.

you ladies are so great, it's so nice to be able to hear other experiences of people who have done this already! thank you! 
                                         - ticker/siggy warning -

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think at 6weeks we just saw the flicker. We didn't get the count until the u/s where we heard the Heartbeat.
    Me: 33 - PCOS & Hypothyroidism DH: 35 - SA is good Married since 2010 (together since 2006) TTC since June 2009 (we knew we would have issues and wanted family right away after we got married). No pregnancies yet. May 2013 - started first round of Chlomid & ovidrel cycle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"