Cloth Diapering

Critique my shopping cart :) newborn + some one size.

DH doesn't want me to order until I have the pros look over the list to make sure its correct.

SAHM, so no need for nothing to accommodate day care. We are doing prefolds with covers primarily, with some fitteds thrown in. We want this to cover the newborn period (with the option to buy more Rumparoos newborn locally if she is just too small to start with the Thirsties) and be a good start to the innards of a one size stash- with the option of buying more cute cover prints later when we figure out which style/brand works best.

Have:
7x Thirsties covers- size 1 snaps
1x Weehuggers cover- size 1 snaps
6x Bummis infant sized prefolds 
12x Ohsocosy preemie sized prefolds
1x Simplex AIO OS snaps
1x BG AIO OS snaps
1x Flip cover, one size snaps
3x newborn sized wool shortie soakers- handmade. (And I can make more if I get bored)

GMD order:
24x Clotheeze newborn (orange) 
12x Workhorse newborn (orange) no closure
12x Clotheeze small (yellow)
24x Clotheeze medium (red)
6x Workhorse medium (red) no closure
1x Flip cover, one size (in DHs favorite print- Albert)

Amazon order: 
1x Planetwise wet bag small
1x Planetwise wet bag large
4x Flannel baby wipes 15ct (60 total)
2x Rumparoos newborn size aplix clovers
5x Snappis

Anything we obviously need more of... or need less of. DH is dubious about the necessity of yellow edge prefolds and the high number of newborn prefolds/fitteds in particular. 
Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
 Dum spiro, spero.

Re: Critique my shopping cart :) newborn + some one size.

• You'll want two large wetbags to use one while the other is in the wash. The small one is tiny... So it wouldn't be large enough to hold the ones during the wash cycle.

Also, if you wanted to reduce, I'd keep the dozen smalls and reduce the newborn prefolds by 6-12. And you can use the smalls in a pinch / wash sooner. The tiny newborn size is only used for such a small period!
  • That looks like a pretty good order. I would def keep the 36 NB changes.  My babe could go through 15 a day, no joke.  If any thing, the 30 red-edge mediums may be a lot.  More than enough for every other day washing. 

CD safe diaper cream or coconut oil?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Agree with @bookitup‌ -wait on the mediums, and about Aplix. Not a big deal about the aplix, since you already have the covers, but were you to get more, it is really nice for nb.

And like PPs said, you will be really glad to have 36 nb changes. (An in case your H thinks you have more than that, I would not count the preemie or infant size that you already have in the nb count)
    As to wether or not you need the smalls, I am a big fan of other non-GMD prefold systems that do not have so many sizes. Maybe look into that after nb? The bummis you have a few of are a good example, although one of the priciest prefold options I have found. We use prefolds almost exclusively, and we have three sizes: nb, small ("infant") and large("baby"). This basically goes along with a two size system of covers like thirsties or assunta. I recommend the no brand Indian cotton prefolds from nicki's.

Do get 2 of each size wet bag for when the others are in the wash.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• ChichigoChichigo member
    edited April 2014
    Do you think you will need the preemie prefolds? My son used them for about a week. He came home at 6 lbs 1oz and the size one osocozy were incredibly bulky. Looking back, I wish I had just tried harder to fold them a different way.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The Planetwise small wet bags are really tiny...like difficult to squeeze a 2nd diaper in there tiny...  I'd recommend getting a medium wet bag (or wet/dry bag) instead.

It's recommended that you have atleast 2 large wetbags or pail liners so that you still have one to use while one is washing/drying. I have 2 large wetbags and a hanging wet/dry bag that I use in rotation. I had wanted to be able to hang my bag of dirty diapers out of reach of my dog and future curious toddler, but the handle of the wetbag can not support the weight of a load of diapers without stressing the seam and causing fraying of the handle material over time.  The hanging wet/dry bag is awesome, the double handles are holding up great (and it holds more diapers).  So yeah, I wish I had either spend more money to get more than one hanging bag or just gotten the less expensive pail liners & a cheap trash can.

You might want to shop around for the wet bags & RaR covers.  Many cloth diaper websites have them at the same price as amazon but you can either get some freebies with your order or possibly get them on sale for Earth Day.  Several sites will do 10% or more off for Earth Day / Black Friday.  KellysCloset has promotions for a free diaper with order fairly often.  Nickisdiapers sometimes has Planetwise Seconds/Overstocked/Retired patterns at a substantial discount.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Preemie prefolds: They were a gift from when we still expected baby to arrive 10+ weeks before her due date. I figure we can use them as doublers or burp cloths after they no longer fit. Not really expecting a ton of use out of them although baby is still expected to arrive 3-4 weeks early and will probably be a tiny one.

Aplix: We didn't really love the aplix back when we were shopping in brick and mortar shops, but definitely doing aplix for the handful of Rumparoos we will be buying now. 6 of the 7 Thirsties we got were a bundle for our baby shower so they all came with snaps. If we'd thought about it more carefully we probably would have registered for newborn Rumparoos aplix and one size snap covers in some brand. But no harm done- we will adjust to what we have on hand.

Wet bags: Was planning on the small going in the diaper bag not as a secondary bag for the house. Will definitely look at adding a second large bag.

Will wait for the Earth day sale for the GMD order for sure. Already following the forum here waiting to see what of interest pops up elsewhere. We do have the 15% registry completion coupon for Amazon that should pop up next week too, so we will see what (if any) of the diapering stuff we can get that on. 
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • Even for the diaper bag you should still get a bigger one than that small, PPs said you can't really fit more than one diaper in there. And you should still get at least two for when one is in the wash.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Looks good :)  I have a set of preemie prefolds that will get used as doublers.  I've hacked a couple up and made tiny doublers for my NB aios. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • Even for the diaper bag you should still get a bigger one than that small, PPs said you can't really fit more than one diaper in there. And you should still get at least two for when one is in the wash.
    Sounds good, cart updated :D
     Dum spiro, spero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"