Cloth Diapering
Options

yeast - sanitize?

Help me get my daughter out of disposables! 

My 13 month daughter was just treated for thrush with 1.5weeks of the oral meds.  She had white spots in her mouth for like 6 weeks without treatment...as the doctor said she was too old for thrush and it was likely some minor reaction to something she was eating.  The spots kind of came and went and never really got worse but never went away so I assume the doc was correct.

I finally got fed up with the spots when I notice large raised white spots on the far back of her tongue (in addition to the lighter white spots on the inside of her cheeks).  So we went to another doctor who said thrush and gave the meds. 

I still nurse, I treated her and I.  It seemed to be helping but the spots never fully went away after 1.5 weeks of the meds.  I had her in the disposables for the 1.5 weeks.  During that time I ran all her cloth diapers through with a bleach wash.

Then, our washer died.  We just got a new one.  It has all the fancy settings so I just ran them all through the sanitize setting, I figure if there was yeast in them I might as well really get rid of it.   I was going to put her back in cloth tomorrow and sure enough before bed I change her and I swear she has a yeast diaper rash now gahhhhhhhh.

So.  Does the sanitize setting kill yeast?  If so, can I put her in cloth and just run the sanitize setting each wash to kill yeast?  Or is she better in disposables?

Is there any harm in running the diapers through the sanitize setting always?  Will it wear them out much faster?  I use all Mother-ease diapers, with the fitted diaper and separate covers so it would just be the cloth getting washed the covers go in with our clothes.

Any suggestions?  Also...any one have issue with thrush after 1yr old?  Or with it sticking around after using the oral meds?  Any suggestions there?

Re: yeast - sanitize?

• Options
    Sanatize tends to be too hot and will damage pul on diapers.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

Sanatize tends to be too hot and will damage pul on diapers.

I don't know much about yeast, but agree with this. Do not do this, especially on a regular basis, to any covers, pockets, orAIOs.

Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks ladies...what if there is no PUL?  It's only terry cotton (?) and snaps.  The covers are completely separate.  Basically a bath towel with plastic snaps :-)

• Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    edited April 2014
    Bad for the elastic too, is there elastic? Bleach is really a better option.
    And yes, we bf past 1 year, both got thrush, got a yeast rash, and had to take oral diflucan bc topical didn't cut it.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Yes there is elastic :-(  I'll do bleach instead.  Is it ok to leave her in cloth with yeast and do a bleach wash every other day?  Or should I just be leaving her in disposables?  She looks so skinny without her huge bum!  I feel like we've given up on cloth it's been so long.  Stupid yeast.

I'll try to get her in to see the doc again ASAP to figure out how to treat this.  Maybe I screwed the treatment up by giving it 4x's a day (as told) but not doing it in the middle of the night?  The doses were not every 6hrs because I didn't want to wake her to get the meds into her in the middle of the night.  Would that make it not work? 

• Options
    I don't think that's to blame. I think it's bc the yeast was there for a long time, and nystatin is a weaker treatment, and it's hard to get good contact in the mouth. You probably both need oral diflucan plus nystatin for her bum.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I bleached every wash for a month or so. I did switch to prefolds for this though. If it doesn't clear up within a few weeks I'd switch to disposables.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"