Trouble TTC
Options

Freezing Sperm for IUI's

aves0708aves0708 member
edited April 2014 in Trouble TTC
DH and I have some big changes coming up for us.  This week he was presented with a last minute opportunity to work abroad in the Netherlands for three months.  It caught us both off guard, we scrambled to make a decision.  The most obvious factor affecting our decision was him not being here for treatment cycles.  Neither one of us wants to put this on hold for three months, but it's also an opportunity that we don't think he should pass up.  So we agreed that he should go for it and he got the official notice today that he will be  going.  His tentative departure date is May 4.

I am going to ask our RE about freezing sperm so we can keep going with treatments while he is away.  Has anyone else done this?  I read that the counts are lower after thaw, but that it's usually still enough for IUI depending on what the original sample  looked like. 

We are in the  middle of our first clomid cycle now ( I go in for a second monitoring appointment tomorrow), and based on how that goes hopefully IUI's sometime this weekend.  We obviously hope this works, but I am being realistic and trying to prepare that it might take several cycles for us to have sucess, if at all.  If he's leaving May fourth we will need to freeze samples in the next couple of weeks.  How much does freezing samples genearlly cost?  Do you think it's worth it??

Sorry this was so long. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Me (29): Hashimoto's, CD3/7DPO bloodwork & ultrasound normal, HSG & SHG(x2) all clear
DH (29): SA Perfect
TTC Since Jan '13, First RE Appt Jan '14
DX: Unspecified Ovarian Dysfunction, Long Cycles
May '13 BFP, C/P 4w3d
Apr '14:  50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #1=BFP,  Natural M/C 6.5wks
Aug '14: 50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #2=BFN
Oct '14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI#3 =BFN
Nov 14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI#4=slow response, bad lining, cancelled
FU with RE, more bloodwork: Anticardiolipin +
Dec 14: 5mg Letrozole+baby aspirin +ovidrel + B2B IUI#4.1=BFFN
Jan '15: 5mg Letrozole +baby aspirin + ovidrel +B2B IUI #5= BFP!! 
Beta #1 210  Beta #2 546

Re: Freezing Sperm for IUI's

• Options
    I'm not sure, but I'm interested in answers. MH leaves in July for some very extended military obligations and that will become our only option.
    Jan15 December Siggy Challenge: Holiday Fails
    TTC Since 4/13 | Me: 28 DH: 29 | DX: PCOS + High T + Arcuate Uterus (11/13)
    Cycle #1+2 (4/13-6/13): Natural Cycles = BFN | Cycle #3+4 (6/13-11/13): Anovulatory (Provera)
    Cycle #5 (11/13-1/14): Femara + Clomid + Follistim = Cancelled | Cycle #6 (1/14-3/14): Benched
    Cycle #7 (3/14-4/14): Femara + Follistim + Estradiol + Pregnyl + Progesterone
    BFP: 4/22/14 | Due: 1/1/15 | TEAM BLUE!

• Options
    We were given the option to freeze when my DH was going to be out of town for one of our IUIs. We were told that you lose about 40% of the sample if everything goes well and they like at least 10-15 million after the wash, freeze, and thaw. We opted not to do it because MFI is our issue. The price we were given was $230 each sample and that included up to 6 months of storage.
    My RE said they always prefer fresh sperm but frozen are still okay and can get the job done.
    Good luck with this cycle and hopefully you won't need any on ice!

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would say, as long as he has good counts to begin with, go for it. But I would definitely ask your RE what his/her thoughts are first. Maybe there's a reason he would or wouldn't do it. Let us know what your RE says!
    Love 2010 | Marriage 2011 | TTC #1 since 2012
    PCOS | Anovulatory | Metformin + Letrozole
  • Options
    We haven't done it yet but will be as of next month. DH is active duty military so he is gone every other month, if not more.

Talk to your RE but they let you know if there won't be enough. What they were telling me is the like to do 10 mil sperm per IUI. If they don't have enough they'll have him come in and do it again so we have to leave about a week of time before IUI so DH can do it twice if we need it.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

TTC: Started May 2012
    Bloodwork - potential ovulation issue which seemed to be fixed by clomid.
    SA - Mot (36%) and count low 9.3 mil (updated) 
    HSG - Oct 16 2013 - came back clear
    Clomid #1 - Nov. 2013 - BFN
    BFP#1 =  Clomid #2, Dec. 2013 - EDD 9.9.14 Loss Jan 9
    Femara #1 + Trigger (2/21) Feb. 2014 +ruptured ovarian cyst - BFN
    SIS clear
    April 2014: 50IU Follistim CD3-CD9 + 25IU CD10-CD13+CD13 trigger 1 mature follie= BFN
    IUI #1: May 2014 50IU Follistim + trigger + IUI = BFN
    IUI #2: June 2014 50IU Follistim + IUI (3 mil sperm)=  BFN
    TI #2: June 2014 50IU Follistim  + Trigger = BFN
    BFP#2 = IUI# 3: Aug 2014 75IU Follistim+ Trigger + IUI (2 mil sperm) EDD May 15

BabyFruit Ticker

Love bugs unite!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Thank you for the responses!!  My monitoring appointment this morning did not go well.  The 12mm follie I had on Tuesday has not grown at all, so my RE is not optimistic about this cycle.  I am going in again on Saturday, but if there is still not enough growth then I guess we will cancel this cycle :(

I asked about freezing sperm for IUI's while DH is away and she was not very encouraging.  She tried to tell me I should just wait the three months until he comes back because the chances are much better with fresh sperm.  Even with his good numbers, she said quite a bit is lost between washing and thawing.  My argument though, is that we clearly need to change dosage/meds for me to get a proper response, so what if we wait the three months, try again with a different dosage and still don't get a good response?  Then we're talking more like  4-5 months wait.  So we agreed to try one cycle with frozen sperm.  DH has to go in over the next two weeks and give four samples, and they will combine two samples for one IUI.  My clinic does back to back IUI's so two combined samples will  give us one cycle.  When DH goes in on Monday we will be getting more info on the cost. 

Me (29): Hashimoto's, CD3/7DPO bloodwork & ultrasound normal, HSG & SHG(x2) all clear
    May '13 BFP, C/P 4w3d
    Beta #1 210  Beta #2 546

• Options
    We were given the option to freeze when my DH was going to be out of town for one of our IUIs. We were told that you lose about 40% of the sample if everything goes well and they like at least 10-15 million after the wash, freeze, and thaw. We opted not to do it because MFI is our issue. The price we were given was $230 each sample and that included up to 6 months of storage.
    My RE said they always prefer fresh sperm but frozen are still okay and can get the job done.
    Good luck with this cycle and hopefully you won't need any on ice!
    It is encouraging that your RE said frozen sperm can still get the job done, gives me a little bit of hope :)

May '13 BFP, C/P 4w3d
    Beta #1 210  Beta #2 546

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"