May 2014 Moms

Potocin, epidurals, c-sections OH MY!!

Can you ladies help me, I am making my birth plan, and after a very "natural birth" Lamaze class I really am concerned about risks involved with all the medical interventions that are used today. I am a FTM and would like to know from other moms what their experience is with such things. If you were induced, how was labor, did you get a c-section, how is your child's development thus far... Any help would be appreciated. I am 36 weeks and getting down to the nitty gritty with this.

Re: Potocin, epidurals, c-sections OH MY!!

• Water broke at home at 39 weeks, 5 days. Finger tip dilated. Never started labor on my own. Started pitocin 6 hours after my water broke to get labor started. 1.5 cm dilated. Contractions hurt like crazy, I hold out for 7 more hours until I ask for an epidural. Barely 2 cm dilated. After 17 hours of crazy pitocin labor and trpubles with my epidural and blood pressure and baby's heart rate, we decided c section. Breast fed for 13 months, Shorty has always been a very healthy child.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I so badly wanted a drug-free birth. SO badly. But when my labor stalled for 6+ hrs at 8cm dilated, the doctor and nurses kept talking about a c/s. I wanted to avoid that, so they convinced me to try pitocin to try and get baby to move down and engage (she was very high up...like, I should have only been 2cm, not 8).

Pitocin is the worst. Seriously. It actually made me regress and swell and lose half a cm.

They kept talking about a c/s so as a last ditch effort to at least deliver vaginally, we tried a low dose epidural top try and get my body to relax and not tense up from the awful pitocin contractions. That didn't work either.

After being at the hospital for 10+ hrs, DD still hadn't dropped at all and we prepped for a c/s. I gave birth via c/s to a perfectly healthy, face-up baby.

I'll be attempting a drug-free VBAC this go-around and hope and pray for the best, knowing I may very well and up with another c/s.

But that was just one person's experience.

My advice? Avoid pitocin and take everything else in stride. Trust your gut, stick to your guns, but also trust your doctor on what is safest for you and baby.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited April 2014
    Wow, that was a novel. Sorry.

ETA: just saw your question about child development. Also not sure how this is correlated to birth experience, but DD ha always been incredibly alert and observant, has been a pretty healthy kid overall, and people say she talks very well for her age.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• Short story - I was in active labor for less than 10 hours, dilated 2-10cm in less than 6 hours (with an epi at 5cm), pushed for 20 minutes.

Longer story - I went into spontaneous labor with DD at 39w3d.  Early labor started the day prior. I had been maybe 1cm dilated at my 39 week appt and 70-80% effaced.  I was admitted at 8:30am to the hospital at 2cm with contractions 4-6 minutes apart and rather intense.  An hour later I was already at 4cm and my OB broke my water (with my permission).  About an hour after that, I asked for the epidural and I was checked once it was in place and I was 5-6cm.  I dozed for a couple of hours and by 2pm I was 10cm.  I waited about half an hour or so before I started pushing (I feared pushing for hours so I wanted to wait).  About 20 minutes later, just before 3pm, DD was born.  I had a second degree tear.  Didn't feel any pain and that was amazing - I loved my epidural and will definitely ask for one again this time.  I know people get concerned about the baby being "drugged" when the mom gets an epidural but we noticed nothing of the sort.  DD even latched to my breast within 15 minutes of being placed on my chest which impressed the nurses.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Water broke at home at 38 weeks at 2 am. Went to the hospital at 7 after contrations got really strong.1 cm dialated.started pitocin,at 8. Epi at10:30 am.only 1 cm dialated.doctor checked me at 1:00 pm and said if i hadnt progressed by 5 she wanted to do c- section because of possible infection set in. 3 cm by 5:00 pm so at 6 we had a c- section.dd came out awake,alert, and healthy.shes now one and a happy toddler.my birth plan this time is a c- section again.have a plan,but be ready cause it may go out the window.
  • I was induced at 38 weeks due to pre-e. I went in with a completely closed cervix. I was given cervadil to ripen my cervix. My water broke on it's own about 12 hours later. Started pitocin and got an epidural. DD was born less than 10 hours after that. Very healthy, right on track developmentally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• I had a c-section after insisting on a vaginal delivery that was physically impossible and never could've happened. I loved it and wished I'd never fought against it in the first place.

I did have a bunch of interventions (Prostin, Cytotec, Pitocin, early epidural), but that was all after the doctor had already determined vaginal delivery was basically impossible. She was just humoring a difficult patient at that point.

DS's development has always been right on track and I'm thrilled to be having another c-section.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I'm the product of an induction and my husband a c-section. We're both working professionals happy and expecting our first child. I'd go in with your natural birth plan but know that delivering a healthy baby will usually result in healthy child and subsequently a healthy adult.
    BabyName Tickerimage
  • @MissLadyTay‌ I was annoyed with her statement as well. After DS was born I was really depressed that my body didn't do what it was suppose to do.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • CMDR513CMDR513 member
    edited April 2014
    Induced at 36w3d due to superimposed pre-e. I was given magnesium and pitocin. I had a very bad reaction to the epidural and needed meds (a shot) to counteract. Labored for 16+ hours and progressed to 5 cm. Every time I contracted DSs hr would drop. I was given an Emer C/S at 36w4d. Came home when I did. Normal development :)

• bazingaabazingaa member
    edited April 2014
    May I suggest a rewording of your original post? I think (hope) what you meant to say was... 

Can you ladies help me, I am making my birth plan, and after a very "natural birth" Lamaze class I really am wondering about all the medical interventions that are used today. I am a FTM and would like to know from other moms what their experience is with such things. If you were induced, how was labor, did you get a c-section... Any help would be appreciated. I am 36 weeks and getting down to the nitty gritty with this. 

Now that's what you were going for, right? Sounds much better IMO :)
      BabyFruit Ticker image
  • So I'm beyond annoyed by your implications but I will inform you that my son whom I was induced with due to pre-e, I labored for 15 hrs before getting an epidural at 7 cms, DS was stuck in my pelvis and I had to have a c/s 4 hrs later. With all of those drugs he's a healthy almost 2 and a half year old that knows his alphabet, shapes, colors, can count to 20 in English and Spanish , knows many basic Spanish words, speaks more clearly than most 5 year olds and is potty trained. You're right though refuse the c/s and all medical intervention because it will hurt your child developmentally, or we can just blame the parents!
  • As a FTM I have no experience. But the fact that i am getting a C/s on tuesday at 37 weeks, to prevent the loss of my child, I'm not concentrating on which method will raise my child's IQ or lower it. Shouldn't you be more worried about other things!? My whole pregnancy I never wanted a birth plan because things never go as planned. And obviously that was for good reason. I think you should be praying for a healthy happy baby and worry about developmental skills later. (I still don't understand how they would even be related.)
    BabyName Ticker
  • OP you can want and hope for all kinds of births but the reality is you are not and will not be in control during labor, the kid is. I'm hoping to go natural but if the labor is long, overdue or my next growth scan puts him above a estimated 12 pounds things will definitely be medicated/assisted. My MW will offer a c-section if he's huge (12 pounds) and frankly the chances of him getting stuck in my GBS+ vag are high enough that I'd rather do the section that risk an emergency c-section in that case. Is surgery something anyone looks forward to hell no, but it's the best choice based on the given information in that case.

As a parent you will learn that it is not about you or your wants but about what is best for your child. You have very little control over anything related to birth so give up the notion that you do or you are going to be very unhappy when things don't go your way. If the crap hits the fan you don't get a choice so make peace with the fact that medically indicated interventions are healthy and a real possibility any time you choose to get knocked up and give birth.
  • I have awesome cheek bones from foreceps.

Development does not correlate with how we entered the world. I did like reading your stories though, as a FTM I have no idea what to expect.
  • Huh I didn't notice the c section thing I thought she meant by using other pain drugs but I dunno how development would be affected...I know pain meds can make baby sleepy but that's a short term effect from my understanding.

Anyways FTM and I'm glad I got to read your stories...I'm going in with the hope to go as natural as I can but if I need anything I'll do that too...winging it I guess lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • SMM1986SMM1986 member
    edited April 2014
    DD- induced at 41 weeks, epidural, vaginal birth.
    DS- labor at 39+6, epidural, vaginal birth, no pit needed.

My kids are 8 & 5 and perfectly healthy. I think whatever class you took may have been more scare tactic than factual information and I suggest you do some more research.

ETA- mobile sucks
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My son was evicted due to pre e via pitocin. Vaginal birth, 27 hours of labor. Unlike most of the responders, he ISNT developing normally. He was dx'd as autistic in January.

Is that the correlation you were looking for???

FWIW, i have reason to believe he was already autistic at 17w gestation...so i put no faith in the pitocin/autism theory. And though i hated pit for other reasons, i have no regrets about using it as getting him out may have saved both of our lives.

Birth plans are just that, plans. IRL things dont always go as planned with kids. Not just talking birth here either, but that certainly was my reality check with that fact.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I am all for birth plans, although the word plan implies you are in control when you are not.  You can have wishes and you can make sure you have research based understanding (meaning not a scare tactic website) of the interventions of labor and delivery, but it's not like making weekend plans that you can account for every possibility of.  

FWIW, I went into spontaneous labor at 39+2, fully intending to go natural.  I mean, my hospital talked up the fact that you could labor in the shower, get a birthing ball, etc etc etc.  Then I get there and had lazy nurses who didn't want to do shit for me except force me into the bed and watch the monitors from the comfort of the nurses station.  Couldn't plan for that.  And in the middle of labor I wasn't able to ask for what I needed, which lead to pain I couldn't deal with causing me to shake so bad I couldn't breath, needing a oxygen mask and an epi.  Thankfully I never needed pit even though I stalled at a 5 for several hours, and I was able to push out a sunny side up baby after 2 hours of pushing and an episiotomy.  We BF for 11 months, and DD is now 3 going on 15.  

This time we are planning a home birth with MWs, but have also toured a different hospital in case of transfer.  We are prepared as we can be for all the eventualities of birth.  That's the best you can do.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think asking about development might have been the wrong wording. You should have asked about the overall effects on baby to see if there were any connections here to drugs or c/s. I know there are proven links to higher c/s rates with improper use of pitocin and early epis, and a higher risk of asthma with c/s, but these are only a risk percentage not a guarentee. Good luck on ur delivery.
  • I was induced at 38 weeks due to pre-e. I went in with a completely closed cervix. I was given cervadil to ripen my cervix. My water broke on it's own about 12 hours later. Started pitocin and got an epidural. DD was born less than 10 hours after that. Very healthy, right on track developmentally.

This was basically my exact birth story with Rhett :) The pitocin contractions hurt, but I have no comparison to real contractions. I decided to go with the epidural and was glad I did.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Is this a post and run? Awesome. 

OP - I seriously doubt that a c-section or any other medical intervention will cause developmental issues. My birth plan was as follows:

Yes to pain meds (I'm too selfish to want to "feel childbirth")
    No to induction (I've heard horror stories)
    Sure to a c-section if the doctor says it's necessary for the health of me and the baby. 

And that was it - the whole birth plan. And guess what? I'm scheduled for a c-section in 13 days and my only concern is get my daughter out safely. End of story. Just worry about getting your LO out in a way that is safe and healthy for both of you. 
  • I had a c-section (not even allowed to labor) because LO had IUGR and started having heart rate decels before they started inducing me. Apparently, the consensus is that small babies can easily be stressed out by labor so they didn't want to risk it...I have no idea of the validity of this statement, but that is what they told me. I sort of think it probably wasn't 100 percent necessary (even my DH husband says it wasn't) because the decels went away when I changed position (found out later it was probably because the cord was around his neck and likely had NOTHING to do with him being IUGR), but I had been battling pre-e and IUGR and in-and-out of the hospital and was just scared and DONE.

It hated having a c-section. Immediately, the pain was not terrible but it took a really, really long time to 100 percent recover. I think I have read that medically it takes about 9-12 months for that scar to completely heal...and that was pretty on par with what I experienced.  I had pain and had trouble working out up until about 9-10 months after my surgery.  It sucked. 

I feel like it affected everything...my ability to breastfeed, my ability to care for my child, etc.  It took forever for my milk to come in *(didn't even have colostrum) and because my son was IUGR and had low blood sugar HAD to be given formula.  By the time he was big enough/strong enough to latch, he was hooked on a bottle and did not want to mess with the boob.  Also, I always had supply issues. 

Don't mean to scare you, though...I just wished I had been more prepared for the realities of a c-section.  Everyone (i.e. pretty much people who had never had a c-section) acted like it was NBD.  Bullshit.  It is a huge deal.  It is major surgery.  I've had 7 of them in my life and the c-section was the worst.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Oh, wow...so apparently I should have read all the responses before replying because I was just talking about my experience and this has turned into a discussion of a whole different sort.

I guess my take away is that I would encourage anyone to try to avoid a c-section, but it has nothing to do with developmental delays.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • SHOPPRINCSSSHOPPRINCSS member
    edited April 2014
    3rd time mom here I'm 29 and will be having my third c section in 17 days. I was 25 when I had my dd. I had a birth plan that went out the window when my water broke naturally at home at just over 39 weeks. Got to the hospital was only a 2 (which I had been for 2 weeks). Labored (I say this lightly I barely had any contractions just was exhausted) for 12 hours before my midwife started pitocin. I was on pitocin for the next 23 hours off and on with no progress it barely affected me... I maybe made it to a three. This whole time barely surviving on flavored ice chips and crackers(they were afraid to let me eat anything big bcuz they were nervous I would eventually need a csection). I labored so long with no progress my midwife came and went off shift. A dr came on shift and came in my room within five minutes i had signed consent for csection. I was begging for one at this point, just purely exhausted. My dd was born a healthy and happy child who is now incredibly smart ;) and well adjusted. We gave her a ds 23 months later via planned c section and now will round out our
    Party of five with another ds via csection. I'm extremely grateful for the medical advances we have made that allow me to even have children! The consenses of the drs is that my lady bits are too small for a baby to fit through, my daughter was cone shaped from trying so long to get out. C sections are scary but well controlled environments and recovery has never been terrible. In about two days I'm feeling like myself just sore but for those firs days you barely notice the discomfort bcuz you are in absolute bliss with your new joy :) six weeks and usually I'm feeling like I can move normal and actually glance at my scar lol. I'm
    A big chicken so my husband checks it for me up til this point. GL with your first regardless of how your baby is born it will be the best experience of your life!

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Uh oh, I think she was scared away.

Although her post was naive as hell in terms of the development question, I'm going to hope that's not what she meant.

I'm also pro-birth plan with common sense enough to know that plans can change, but I also see nothing wrong with researching and mapping out your hopes for child birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"