August 2013 Moms
Options

East Coast Vaca Spots

The situation: we'll be driving from MD to VT for my cousins wedding in the end of August. We want to turn the week after the wedding into a vacation for myself, DH & LO.

Anyone have suggestions on a good vaca spot between VT & MD? We could do coastal or mountains, like outdoors stuff & looking for somewhere with inexpensive things we could do during the day.

I'm considering doing a few nights somewhere more rustic and then maybe 2 nights in NYC.

Any suggestions?

Re: East Coast Vaca Spots

• Options
    Well, you could always come see me on Cape Cod. :) But, it's kind of out of the way.
    Newport, RI is a cute day trip!
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • Options
    That is one of the places we have on the list @Cosmic+Love‌!
    We'll be in Springfield, VT...so not very far north and right on the NH border.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard great things about the Poconos and the Finger Lakes but haven't been either place. I have been to Cape Cod and Newport many times and love them both! Where in VT will you be? We've recently been to Stowe, Woodstock, and Killington, and they were all beautiful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was going to suggest Cape Cod as well! Sounds like we could make it a bumpie GTG!
  • Options
    Finger lakes is amazing , but probably more for you and DH.. Love a good wine tour!

I vote Cape Cod too.. Mostly so I can live vicariously through your bumpie gathering :-)
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Options
    Finger Lakes are amazing. It's about 4 hours from NYC...but not on the way to VT...it would be a detour. I live in that area if you are interested in hearing more about it.

Lake George is great and not far from NYC. They have anything from hotels to cabins to tent camping. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    If you go to the Poconos on the weekend, there's a giant flea market you can go to. It always ends up being a few hour event when I'd go with my family and we'd find such interesting things. There's also Bushkill Falls if you feel like hiking. The trails are beautiful and they have easy and harder trails.

Or you can check out Sea Isle City or the boardwalk in Seaside Heights on the Jersey shore.
  • Options
    I've never been but I've heard good things about Cape May, in Jersey.

• Options
    lkobriant said:

Yes! Cape May is beautiful and many of the Victorian houses were turned into bed and breakfasts! There's also the lighthouse you can go to, and I've heard there may be a free zoo.
  • Options
    MitsB707 said:

lkobriant said:

Yes! Cape May is beautiful and many of the Victorian houses were turned into bed and breakfasts! There's also the lighthouse you can go to, and I've heard there may be a free zoo.
    This! My mom's family is from south Jersey(Atlantic city area). I spent many a summer there growing up. We used to take day trips to Cape May. Plus, south Jersey is just beautiful in general. If you stop there, let me know. I'll give you information on my uncle's market. Also, smithville is good for an afternoon of fun and kid friendly. There's storybook Land, I think in May's Landing.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    BunnyferBunnyfer member
    edited April 2014
    I third Cape May and Wildwood...I grew up there....great place to spend a few days

The zoo is free and WELL worth a visit. I cant wait to take LO in Aug

• Options
    Great ideas ladies! I'll look into Cape May! Looks like it would be easy to stop in NYC for a night or two then go down to cape may.
    Does anyone know if there is a ferry that crosses the bay to Delaware? That would save us some driving time once we head back to md.
  • Options
    Are you looking to trek off course? Or are you looking for more direct routes? 

I'm assuming you'll head up 91 once you get into CT. There's A LOT in the Berkshires. Northampton, MA is a neat little town. And there's a bunch of stuff to do within driving distance. There is a Butterfly place in Deerfield, MA (super cute!). 

Also looking around there are a TON of B&B's, hotels, campgrounds, etc. So it really depends on your budget  and what you're looking to do. 

Brattleboro, VT's also a neat town too. If you need time to kill, I'm in the area! :D

• Options
    Also, NH wouldn't be too far out of the way and the White Mountains are ridiculously gorgeous and fun. There is a TONNN to do. 

• Options
    @TrueBeliever925‌ ultimately what I'm looking for is a somewhat inexpensive place to stay (open to hotel, B&B, or cabin) that has nice scenery & good inexpensive activities that are within an hour's drive.
    Somewhere that offers coastal or mountain views & has a zoo, easy hiking & butterfly thing close (or similar stuff) would be great!
  • Options
    We will go off the path. this place doesn't need to be within the direct driving line from vt to md.
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:
    @TrueBeliever925‌ ultimately what I'm looking for is a somewhat inexpensive place to stay (open to hotel, B&B, or cabin) that has nice scenery & good inexpensive activities that are within an hour's drive. Somewhere that offers coastal or mountain views & has a zoo, easy hiking & butterfly thing close (or similar stuff) would be great!
    The Berkshires definitely have all of that (minus the coastal view :P ). If you look into it and are interested I'll definitely help find some information on things for you if you want. :) 

• Options
    Lake George is wonderful, though about 3.5 hrs from NYC. Around the lake are a lot of things to do: shops, restaurants, hiking, beach, Fort William Henry, etc. There is a Six Flags very close by also. There are a lot of hotel options all around the area to choose from. Also, Saratoga is about 30 mins from there so you could go to the track, museums, parks, etc there as well.

• Options
    Yes, I hear the Finger Lakes are amazing. ;)
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:
    Great ideas ladies! I'll look into Cape May! Looks like it would be easy to stop in NYC for a night or two then go down to cape may. Does anyone know if there is a ferry that crosses the bay to Delaware? That would save us some driving time once we head back to md.
    There used to be. I assume it is still running.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    @TrueBeliever925‌ butterflies AND Yankee Candle in Deefield! :-)

@LokiLahve‌ looks like there's a ferry from Cape May to Lewes(?)

CT has some nice spots on the coast...Mystic is a great area on the water with lots of B&Bs, had an aquarium and seaport too.
  • Options
    @ludali I had Yankee Candle and then I deleted it! I have nooo idea why! I LOVE YK! 

• Options
    Yes there is still a ferry to Delaware. Cape may-lewes ferry

• Options
    Bunnyfer said:

More specifically....one we can get our car on so we don't have to drive up & around?
    Idk if there's a different term for a people only ferry vs a car ferry? Lol
  • Options
    I agree with the others who said cape may. We LOVE cape may and go every summer. It's a wonderful place for families, lots to do and everything is walkable. We don't even get in our car once we are there. Cape may is pretty pricey during the season though and books up quickly. But I highly recommend it!
  • Options
    LokiLahve said:
    More specifically....one we can get our car on so we don't have to drive up & around? Idk if there's a different term for a people only ferry vs a car ferry? Lol
    Yes....17mile trip....car transport

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"