February 2014 Moms

Restless sleeper

LO will often wave her arms, rub her hands across her face (dislodging her binky), and thrash her head from side to side when drowsy. It makes it difficult for her to fall/stay asleep during naps.
I swaddle LO at night and she fights to get her arms free, sometimes successfully, and the same thing happens.
Is it a phase she'll grow out of? How are others dealing with it? I thought I should keep swaddling for the long night time sleeps and not during daytime naps, or does it matter? I'm concerned for when she gets too old to swaddle what we'll do.
She's almost 8 weeks.

Re: Restless sleeper

• Mine does this. I use the swaddle me swaddles so she can't wiggle out. She HATES them but a quick bounce on a yoga ball and shes out. Her arms always jerk and wake her up, Ive tried putting her down a couple times without it to see how she'd do and it still happens. Im guessing she will grow out of it. I swaddle during the day because thats the only way she actually sleeps and if she doesnt nap during the day she doesnt sleep at night either!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We use an extra blanket to secure arms inside the SwaddleMe (the 'escape proof swaddle' on YouTube) because both my kids had no problem wriggling out of the swaddle otherwise.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Aren't we supposed to slowly start to stop swaddling after 2 months? I swear we had a thread where most of us were doing that based on pedi advise. My LO sleeps great in a swaddle but pretty restless otherwise but I've been avoiding swaddle to get him used to sleeping without it. Am I being a fool to even try this early? He is 10 weeks.
  • I thought I read that too @Hg45‌, hence my worry. But a Dr Google search turned up 3-4 months which I like better.
  • I heard that you stop swaddling when they can turn over. Even then you can swaddle but keep their arms out.
  • Same boat here too!! She will run her hands across her face not only knock out the pacifier (then fusses because she has lost it) she will rub her eyes too. Then I get worried she'll scratch her eyeballs. She has a very hard time staying asleep if she's not swaddled or in the swing. The will be 3 months old in a few days, so I'm not sure what we're gonna do if we're not suppose to swaddle anymore.
  • atencleatencle member
    edited April 2014
    This is happening for us too! Biggest wiggle worm lately. Stay asleep for a little bit to wake himself up from kicking his feet(in the swaddle). Driving me crazy! Kid I need some sleep! He will be 8 weeks on Monday.

Edit for spelling.
  • I swaddled DD until over 4 months when she learned to roll. Until then, it was the escape proof swaddle all the way :)
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"