Trouble TTC
Options

for the MFI ladies

Has your RE brought up the topic of donor sperm?  Mine keeps mentioning it, I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I know we have adoption as a backup plan, but my RE feels since I O on my own and my cycles are long but pretty regular that it could be an option to try with IUI.  H won't discuss it, I think he finds it degrading and hurtful.  I was just curious if any of you ladies dealing with MFI have been offered donor sperm and how your H's have reacted to the idea.  

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

Re: for the MFI ladies

• Options

My DH has low/normal count and motility but very low morph. She has brought up IVF w/ ICSI quite often, but never donor sperm. We are also younger-ish.. so we have time on our side for awhile.

It's a tough decision. I think if we got to that point, my DH would feel the same way. I'm sure it's shocking & heartbreaking for him to hear. If you've discussed adoption, then maybe discuss donor embryo instead of just donor sperm?

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I don't think my DH could handle the idea either, it's a really tough thing for a man I think.

I know we would do anything we could to pay OOP for IVF/ICSI with his sperm before considering donor sperm. Our RE hasn't mentioned it yet but we are waiting on a repeat SA.

The funny part is, though, it doesn't bother me at all to consider using my sister's eggs if it ever came to that...but non-family DNA would take some grieving and time to warm up to.

January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's never been mentioned to us, but personally, I wouldn't. I don't think there is anything wrong with using donor sperm, I just don't think it is for us. It's not something either of us want. I told my DH before we went to our first RE visit that our children will either be 100% biologically ours, or 0%. Right now, I am no where near giving up having a child that is 100% biologically our. DH was adopted, so I really, really, really want to give him a child that will be his blood, so I want to fight tooth and nail to get that. But also because he is adopted, we're (well him more then me) open to the idea of adopting if things don't eventually turn out the way we want them to. I think I'd be more open to the idea of a donor embryo, since it's similar to adoption, but I'd still be able to carry the baby. I've never told him about donor embryos, but if it gets to that point I'm sure he'd be all for it too.

*** If you want to know where I (and soo many others) have gone, click here ***
  • Options
    tifgatifga member

Sometimes I think husband and I must be "lucky" because I have known for 18 years this was a probability (him for a little longer then that) and 12 years it was a certainty. So maybe we just have had a lot of time to come to terms with it.  

When I told husband I would prefer DS to IVF he was fine with that, and then he was excited about the prospect of having red-headed babies (though that is probably unlikely). 

I actually have a hard time understanding why it is such an issue, but DNA has no meaning to me. What matters is husband and I having a family not where their genes came from. 

me 33- everything looks good
    mister 34- PCD zero motilty 
    TTC#1 using donor sperm
    IUI#1 Dec 2nd-BFN
    IUI# Dec 28th-BFN
    IUI#3 Jan 26th-BFN
    IUI#4  Feb 26th-BFP
    mc March 2014
    IUI#5 April 6th prometrium-BFN
    IUI #6 cancled ovulated too early
    IVF# 1 July
    ER: Aug 3rd: 18R 15M 14F
    10 embryos frozen
    ET: Oct. 7th 1x5BA blast-BFN
    ET: Jan 9th 1x3AA blast- Beta 1/21

imageimageimageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    It makes my husband sad, but the thought of using his brother (which we have never remotely discussed with anyone else) doesnt make him as sad. Can you tell me your husbands count, motility and morph? Has your husband tried supplements, acupuncture, and been seen my a urologist to check for a variococele?
    Husband: MFI Counts 1-11mil, Mot 32%-50% Morph 2-4%
    Me: slightly underactive thyroid
    Married March 2013 TTC since wedding.. 
    Jan 2014 Non medicated IUI-failed 
    April 2014 Started Clomid cancelled IUI due to a low sample
    May 2014 Variococele repair surgery
    (PM me any surgery success stories!)
  • Options
    I have a tendency to break all the rules when it comes to being a little too honest. Prior to our IUI I brought up this subject with DH. He was not thrilled with it, especially since I brought it up prior to knowing whether or not we have exhausted the option of his sperm. He was an adamant no. Our RE brought it up casually, in the sense of "If you ever decide to use donor sperm" when explaining IUI, but not to us directly. We'll see how DH feels after this IUI results (which is likely a bust) and maybe 1 more.... I can see how he wouldn't want to. However, if it's the only way to have a baby, why not? No one on the outside would know......
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• Options
    For us its going to be 100% biologically ours or 0%. We would either do IVF or adopt (embryos or traditional). We decided this before we started testing.

"It's, not, where you are, it's where you're going,
    And it's, not, about the things you've done, it's what you're doing, now"

TTC Journey Began 8/12
    BFP #1 11/9/12, MMC/D&C 12/21/12 @ 9w2d, EDD 7/24/13
    SAs: 2%-3% Morph - RE Official Diagnosis
    Unexplained
     BFN = IUI #1 (Clomid) | IUI #2 (Letrozole) 
    BFP #2 4/19/14 = IUI #3 (Letrozole)
    Expecting Our Elf 12/27/14
    ~All Welcome~

• Options
    cymber217 said:

It makes my husband sad, but the thought of using his brother (which we have never remotely discussed with anyone else) doesnt make him as sad. Can you tell me your husbands count, motility and morph? Has your husband tried supplements, acupuncture, and been seen my a urologist to check for a variococele?

His last SA they had to use High power and found 400 sperm. Of those 400 only 48 were alive and only 8 were showing any movement. We know he has a large varicocele, we are waiting on fertility urology appointment. Regular urology told us that he doesn't feel repair would help much. He takes vitamin D, folic acid and coQ10 as per RE recommendation. We also found out recently that his father had agent orange exposure in Vietnam. Major exposure as he was the guy loading that shit onto the plane.

****SIGGY WARNING****

Hashimoto's with irregular cycles  DH- 37 Severe oligoasthenoteratozoospermia

TTC since May 2012

HSG- all clear

March 2014 - RE appt. 
    April 2014- Saline sono all's good, terrible SA results - 8 sperm found all abnormal
    May 2014- Fert Urology- Bilateral varicoceles, recommend Donor Sperm
    12/2014-  Surprise natural BFP  EDD 7/31/15 Plan:  Starting foster to adoption, natural cycles

• Options
    Our RE has never brought it up but it's something I've thought about. Don't get me wrong, we will do everything possible to have a biological child together, but if we can't donor sperm will most likely be our first option. Don't get me wrong, I think adoption is great but it's not for us. I'm going to be honest, I would have an incredibly difficult time knowing I can carry and have a child and sacrificing that. I don't think my husband would ask that of me. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would definitely want to use donor eggs so that he could have a biological child. I would possibly be open to adopting embryos if we weren't able to conceive any other way. My husband has said it would be incredibly difficult to decide to use donor sperm but in the end his is open to it. Either way one of us would have to make a huge sacrifice.

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• Options
    KT416KT416 member

Our RE has brought up the topic. It was actually right after my DH's first SA after getting zero motility and he asked what his options would be if those results ended up being accurate, which they were.

That evening he quietly mentioned after dinner that he wouldn't want to do donor sperm, because it wouldn't be his genes. (He is his Dad's only child, and the family name dies with him).

Our RE brought it back up because we are moving to IVF and she said that some couples have donor sperm as a backup and asked us if that would be an option for us. We are going for 100% or 0% at this point.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our RE or uro has never mentioned it. I am not really sure how DH or I feel about since we have never discussed it. We are open to adoption, but the cost of that is staggering. It is something I would consider if it came down to it. I would definitely want an unknown donor though.

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

• Options
    Donor Sperm has been mentioned in the past and my DH was 100% against it the first time it was brought up. The second time it was brought up he was probably 90% against it.
    Just the mention of it would send him into a spiral of negative emotions., sadness, anger, and more. I don't understand his reaction, mostly because it wouldn't bother me to use donor eggs if that was our issue, but it is what is and I respect his ability to feel that way.

TTC since March of 2012
    Me: 27 Dh: 35 Testing Begins 3/5/13
    Six SA's show DH has low numbers across the board = severe MFI
    Genetic testing for me = MTHFR+, also carrier for blood clotting disorder Otherwise all else normal
    Dh's karotype= Normal!!
     Mini-IVF/ICSI - July -August 2014 - 1R,M,&F Transferred 1 Grade 1 Morula-5dt - BFFN

• Options
    I am still adjusting to this MFI diagnosis, but I don't know... As a woman I don't personally have an issue with donor sperm. I am trying to feel DH out before our initial appt next week and he has said that while he doesn't like it he likes the idea of me carrying the baby. And as others have said I am very open to donor embryos if that becomes something we need to do. I would be so thankful to be pregnant- it's an experience that I feel heartbroken over when I consider the possibility that I might never get to have it. So... Hmm.. It's a personal question but I feel open to it at this point in the game if it comes to that.
  • Options
    Well, my husband went to a regular urologist and they found nothing.. we went to and RE and he said there was no hope. I felt terrified of moving onto IVF..Then we went to a urologist specializing in MFI and he found the vein immediately and gave us much more options.. If I were you I'd add L carnitine and vit c to that little cocktail.Also, ask him to try acupuncture.  Im not sure what orange agent exposure is?  *other ppls children mentioned* My one cousin had variococele and could not have kids and he got the surgery and now has five. My other cousins husband had zero sperm and they went in there and got some out for IVF and amazingly she has twins. Miracles are out there! keep your chin up i know its hard. 
    Husband: MFI Counts 1-11mil, Mot 32%-50% Morph 2-4%
    Me: slightly underactive thyroid
    Married March 2013 TTC since wedding.. 
    Jan 2014 Non medicated IUI-failed 
    April 2014 Started Clomid cancelled IUI due to a low sample
    May 2014 Variococele repair surgery
    (PM me any surgery success stories!)
  • Options
    We used donor sperm with our IUI cycles. DH made the decision after his count dropped to 0. I was ok with it all along but wanted him to be ok with it too. For me, donor sperm is just biological matter and the child will be raised and formed by us. Using donor sperm is also quicker and cheaper than adoption.
    Ready to take the road less traveled. 
  • Options
    We kind of discussed donor sperm a little after initial SA results. DH has a son from a previous marriage so he really wants me to have a baby by any means. I guess we both feel more comfortable with a stranger donor or even the mixing sperm option.
    Me: +35 DH: +35
    TTC: Since January 2013 
    DX: PCOS. Severe Endometriosis, Unicornuate Uterus w/only left tube and left ovary, Pedunculated fibroid (on the outside of uterus) and Anovulation. All conditions diagnosed 8/13
    TX: Metformin
    DH DX: MFI - low morphology, low motility
    Ultrasound shows both kidneys in spite of UU. 
    HSG showed clear tube on the left side. 
    Lap Surgery performed 1/9/14 to remove fibroid and endo (Stage 3)
    • IUI# 1 June 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 13: BFN
    • IUI#2  July 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 5.75: BFN
    • Natural Cycle - so shocked to be in 2WW - 7dpo Progesterone: 15.5: BFN
    • Working with new RE starting injectables in late August.
    • IUI #3 August 2014  w/ Menopur: BFN
    • Finally ovulating on my own!!
    Waiting to start IVF hopefully
    **********All Are Welcome**************
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolution

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"