2nd Trimester
Options

Carpal Tunnel :(

So, it appears I have "pregnancy induced carpal tunnel". Comes and goes, but is awful when feel it. 20w appt tomorrow, and will bring it up. Anyone else dealing worth this? Got up at 3a last night for the ice pack, but still hurt so much I could have cried....
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Carpal Tunnel :(

• Options

I haven't had it from pregnancy, but I did have tendonitis & carpal tunnel something awful several years ago primarily from being a near full time musician. After seeing multiple doctors and being reccommended for surgery (which I denied), a chiropractor (who would have thought??) is the one who was able to finally help me. He did wrist, back and neck adjustments for a few months and it really alleviated it. Splints (with hard inserts) also help to keep your wrists rested. I still get a bit of pain from overuse/cold weather, but NOTHING like it used to be. Hoping you find relief soon, it certainly is awful to deal with!

• Options
    I have it as well. I saw an orthopedist and have a wrist brace but also ended up having a cortisone shot last week. After a week I haven't noticed much relief from the pain. I still have to sleep with the wrist brace on as the pain seems to be the worst as night. The dr did say it would take a couple of weeks to experience full relief...I'm still hoping it comes. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have this pretty bad. It started toward the end of my first trimester and the past week has gotten worse (im 25 weeks currently). It really only bothers me at night and started with my left hand. I get an achy feeling down my arm and my hands get tingly and numb..i spoke to my dr about it and she said it was most likley due to swelling brought on by the pregnancy pressing on my nerves (which i think is the same as the preg induced carpal tunnel)..said if it got worse to wear a brace so I got one for my left hand and it worked wonders! dont ask me how but it worked! I also keep water by my bed and drink before i go to bed and when i wake up in the night to go to the bathroom to help keep any swelling down (only downside is the bathroom trips but ill take that over the pain!) For the past few night the pain and numbness has started pretty bad on my right hand and just purchased a brace for that arm as well..but these are the only things that seem to work right now..hoping that it doesnt get any worse and that the braces continue to be enough!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

@brookerachelej

@lilnessi

Thank you - I have found it worst at night as well.  I always keep water by my bed (as I end up downing about 8-12 oz around 2 or 3a.  I'll talk with my OB tomorrow and will likely go get wrists braces - hoping they do the trick!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I have it and it makes carrying my toddler around very difficult. At night I try to sleep with my wrists straight instead of curled.

• Options
    Yes I have it and it makes carrying my toddler around very difficult. At night I try to sleep with my wrists straight instead of curled.
    Thanks. I will definitely try that tonight.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I sleep with wrist braces so I don't curl my wrists.  That and trying to rest your hands every so often helps. 
  • Options
    Got wrist braces yesterday. HUGE help!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    julestony said:
    Got wrist braces yesterday. HUGE help!
    Great news!!

• Options
    I had it with my first pregnancy- it was absolutely terrible so I feel for you! It would wake me up at night. The day I was going to get a brace I ended up going into labor so I don't know if it works but hope it works for you!! I was lucky it didn't come on until much later in my pregnancy. Also it went away about three days after birth.

• Options
    XanthJXanthJ member
    edited April 2014
    I believe I have this as well it started 3wks ago I'm 25wks now, FTM I was worried when it started happening. I'll be asking my OB about it this week. It's pretty painful during the day and keeps me up at night As well. I try to handle as much as I can and take Tylenol to help. It's hard thou I work at subway so I use my hands for 9hrs straight. other then braces any other advice??
  • Options
    I have a similar condition, De Quervain's tenosynovitis. I had it right before I got pregnant and got a steroid injection - it wore off a couple weeks ago so I got another shot today. It helps enormously and it's a localized treatment as opposed to systemic so I'm comfortable getting this treatment during pregnancy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Mine started a few weeks ago.  DH massaging my hands helps and so does ice.  Feel better.  I know it sucks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"