3rd Trimester

Dog Question

ok.. I already know this sounds a little weird. My dog has always loved my husband most.. so im kind of use to this. However, in the last 4 to 5 weeks I have felt like my dog is really avoiding me a lot. He is always so loving and wanting to please.. but right now he barely comes when I call. He just looks at me. lol He is still so over the top loving to my husband though! When my husband isnt home he mopes and then gets crazy once he arrives. He always laid across my stomach while I slept and he even kept it up when he could just get his head only on there. But now he doesnt even sleep near me in bed. Has anyone else ever had their dogs do this while pregnant? 

Re: Dog Question

• ok.. I already know this sounds a little weird. My dog has always loved my husband most.. so im kind of use to this. However, in the last 4 to 5 weeks I have felt like my dog is really avoiding me a lot. He is always so loving and wanting to please.. but right now he barely comes when I call. He just looks at me. lol He is still so over the top loving to my husband though! When my husband isnt home he mopes and then gets crazy once he arrives. He always laid across my stomach while I slept and he even kept it up when he could just get his head only on there. But now he doesnt even sleep near me in bed. Has anyone else ever had their dogs do this while pregnant? 

I've never really dealt with anything like this, but have you considered if you've been giving him the same amount of attention as before? I know being pregnant can make it harder to keep up with dogs as far as playing, walking, bending down to pet them, etc. So maybe he feels neglected by you?

I've also heard a lot about animals acting weird when their mama's get KU. So maybe it's just because he senses the pregnancy? If that makes sense? Lol
  • I actually have the opposite problem. My dog follows me everywhere... He waits outside the bathroom door, he sleeps on the floor next to my bed, he's obsessed. Haha my cat insists on laying on me ALL the time. I think animals definitely start acting different when you're pregnant, I'm sure after the baby comes, he will go back to normal. :-) my pets were fine after my first was born and then went right back to crazy during this pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Lots of dogs start acting different when their owner is pregnant/at different points in their pregnancy. Some get really clingy, while others distance themselves. It seems to depend on the dog. Mine never acted any different until a couple weeks ago--then they started getting REALLY protective of the property and would bark more than usual.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• My dog hasn't changed the way she acts toward me, but she is definitely more affectionate toward my husband lately.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My dog is really a "Mommy's boy" he is with me 24/7. He sleeps with me, always by my side. Always in the same room as I am in. Since I've gotten pregnant he has changed... in a way that he's more careful. For example, when he jumps up on the bed, he avoids my stomach area... as if he's super careful of his little brother/or sister.
    As you can tell... our dog is part of our family he loves my Husband but he's still prefers me. A true mommy's boy, and he will always be one!
    I agree with cmichelle0423 have you treated your dog differently? He may have picked up on your vibes.
  • kassidyblkassidybl member
    edited April 2014
    My little girl (12.5lb dog) got super protective of me just before we found out I was pregnant. She would always lay in my lap right up against me, and as I got bigger, she'd conform herself to my tummy. Even if LO kicked her in the head or body, she'd just tuck herself in tighter.

The only issue, is she's gotten rather hostile towards the husband if I'm sleeping (she tends to use my legs as a pillow). She'll actually start growling and raise her hackles towards him if he comes into the room or passes the door.

Funny thing is, she's great with kids and especially with baby kittens (I'm talking less than a month old).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • Our male dog was always more attentive to me, but distanced himself until a few weeks ago.  Now, he has to snuggle with me all the time.  
  • I actually kind of wondered if I smothered him too much.. lol He was kind of sick for a couple of weeks and I was really overly attentive to him. He is a really spoiled, smothered dog to begin with.. but he usually really returns that. I guess the one thing is I dont let him lick my face anymore. Esp because he was sick not to long ago. Bringing in the baby has already been kind of a worry for me because I dont want im to feel left behind. Hes a king charles cavalier.. which are supposed to be great with kids.. but he really doesnt like them much. Hes never mean.. just ignores them and runs straight to grown ups. 
  • My lab has been weird with me lately too. I think with the hormones we have kicking off and the dogs totally noticing when our daily activities of living change because of getting huge. So like a PP said, if you are unable to play with him as much, can't bend over to touch him, or take walks with him then it could be him just reacting to you. Maybe he thinks you want space? 

I have two other dogs who are more clingy now. My male aussie (the bigger one with the tan face in my siggy pic) can't get enough of me. He stays by my side and is uber protective. My little aussie girl just wants to lay by me all the time. As we speak she is laying on my feet at work under my desk. 

Each dog will react differently to pregnancy. Just give him some extra loving here and there and make sure to throw the ball for him every once in a while. Get yourself into practice with it now so when the baby comes and is taking a quick nap you can love up on your pup pup.

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• My friend gave me a book -- And Baby Makes Four -- which talks about introducing a dog to a baby. I thought it was quite helpful. Essentially, its about asserting your alpha dominance before the baby comes as dog's world will be turned upside down for a bit after baby comes. Interestingly, I didn't realize that there was an issue with who was alpha until I read the test at the beginning and my youngest dog met every question with a yes. The biggest for me was that my dog pulls and so we have been working on walking with him so that I can continue to take them on walks once my little man arrives, But It also includes things like not allowing your dog to sleep in your bed starting several months before baby comes, handling food in such a way that it is clear that you are in charge (ie, never feed from table and make the dog watch you eat your meal before you feed them theirs), and even getting a cd of a baby crying and playing that to desensitize the dog. I found it quite helpful -- though admittedly kicking our youngest lab out of our bed every night is super difficult and I was the worst about feeding them both while I was eating. My youngest dog is super clingy so I can't tell if he is more clingy since pregnant or just doing the same old thing. But in either case, it's nice to have some tips to prep pups in advance before baby comes so that you lessen the blow upon arrival. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"