December 2013 Moms

Stopping the Swaddle...now how do I get my baby to sleep?

He won't fall asleep nor stay asleep if he's not swaddled.  He's already got a white noise machine, music, humidifier with the lights on the ceiling.  Any other suggestions?  I feel like I'm back to day one :/

Re: Stopping the Swaddle...now how do I get my baby to sleep?

• We did the swaddle with one arm out for about a week. Now we have both arms out but the swaddle is still velcroed around his body. The first 4 nights were a bit rough, but last night he did really well. I think it just takes a little bit for them to adjust.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Pretty much what above posters said. Slowly removing one leg, then an arm, etc until it's just around the waist.

• Loading the player...
  • We pretty much cut it out cold turkey for nighttime and the first few nights were rough. It is getting better though. I still swaddle him sometimes to calm him down when he is overtired or overstimulated and then either sit in the room with him while he naps or undo it when he falls asleep. (We stopped because he learned to roll in his swaddle). It is frustrating because it still works so well for him but I am afraid to leave him in it!
    Try giving it a little more time.
  • Sometimes you just have to go cold turkey and know that it may be a rough couple of days for everyone, but babies adjust usually faster than mom & dad :)
    imageimageimage

Sebastian: March 3, 2010

2nd Tri Angel Baby: November 2012

McKenna: December 2, 2013

• We went right from arms in to arms out. The first couple of nights were hard but then she was fine. We still use a Halo sleep sack with arms out so I don't have any advice for completely breaking free...  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Make sure he's warm enough. Are you using a sleep sack? My DS sleeps much better in his sack but not swaddled.
  • Well we are on night two and he's in there screaming.  We went straight to two arms out but it's velcroed around the rest of his body.  Fingers crossed!  Is he old enough to just let him cry it out?
  • We go in and check every 5 minutes and soothe, reassure, etc.
    imageimageimage

• Thanks for the advice!  He's asleep!  Cross your fingers that he stays asleep!

• @diszcz‌ - for what it's worth - the sleep sense plan worked well for our youngest. I knew everything they had in the book but it helped me get everything in order and a plan to stick to.
    imageimageimage

• Let us know if he made it thru the night!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"