May 2012 Moms
Options

New Sleeping Problem

DS has been going to sleep on his own and STTN for over a year now.  All of the sudden about a week and a half ago, he started getting really fussy during the bedtime routine.  He still managed to calm down by the time the routine was over and I put him in his crib.  Three or four nights ago he started just screaming at the top of his lungs around the time we pick a book, and I can't get him to settle down most of the time.  When we finally put him in his crib, he is fine if we sit there next to him, but starts screaming if we leave the room.  I don't know what triggered this or what to do about it.  Nothing has changed in his life.  When the time changed, we moved his bedtime from 8:00 to 8:30 but he was fine with that.  After a few nights of the fussiness we moved it back up some because I thought maybe he was staying up too late.  What we have done the past couple nights is sit with him until he falls asleep, but I don't want this to be a precedence.  Any thoughts on what could be causing this or what to do about it?  We did a modified version of the Sleep Easy Solution when we sleep trained at seven months (two long terrible weeks) so I am debating doing that again, but I just don't know why the sudden change.

Re: New Sleeping Problem

• Options
    nlynch11 said:

I'll be no help but we're kind of in the same boat. For the past month or so, DS has been screaming bloody murder if I try to put him to bed, but DH can do it no problem. It is so frustrating and it is so bad that DS won't even nap for me during the day if DH isn't home to put him down. Two weeks ago DH went out with his friends and DS didn't go to sleep until 11 because I just couldn't get him to. He's totally fine during the whole bedtime routine but the minute I put him in his crib he freaks.

All this to say, I am hoping it's a phase that will pass eventually. Hopefully for you too. Is he cutting teeth? 
    I don't think he is cutting teeth. He has all except his two year molars. He is a late teether (first tooth at 11 months and canines just finished coming in) so I doubt they are coming in yet.

I hope your sleeping problem gets better too!
  • Options
    ebl2ebl2 member
    Do your LO have a night light? Could he be afraid of the dark? 

DD used to do this and we just had to keep showing her that we were still there even though we weren't in the room. She was afraid of being alone so we would first put her to bed and stand in her doorway and tell her that we were still right there and after a few minutes we'd close the door but still talk to her and tell her we were still there. If she really started screaming we'd open the door and tell her that she was okay, we didn't go anywhere, that we're just on the other side of the door. We did this for about a week, maybe a little longer until now we can just put her to bed and walk out closing the door. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 

image   image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eczerkies said:

Do your LO have a night light? Could he be afraid of the dark? 

DD used to do this and we just had to keep showing her that we were still there even though we weren't in the room. She was afraid of being alone so we would first put her to bed and stand in her doorway and tell her that we were still right there and after a few minutes we'd close the door but still talk to her and tell her we were still there. If she really started screaming we'd open the door and tell her that she was okay, we didn't go anywhere, that we're just on the other side of the door. We did this for about a week, maybe a little longer until now we can just put her to bed and walk out closing the door. 
    He doesn't have a night light and never has. He does the same thing at nap time when it is light outside. I guess it is worth a shot, though.
  • Options
    We're in a similar funny phase. DD has decided that only I can put her to bed, not DH or she screams her head off. She'll tolerate a book from me, then we turn the light off and snuggle in the chair until she asks for bed. Only now she'll ask for sleep, I'll put her in her crib and she'll lose her mind! I have to rock her again until she is totally out for her to sleep. She's also waking up in the middle of the night a lot now. I thought it was maybe dreams, but I'm hoping it's teeth or something. 

I also agree with the light suggestion. I always shut off her light but leave the hall light on and her door open a crack then all lights out when DH and I go to bed. DH made the mistake once of shutting the hall light off and we couldn't get her to sleep for the longest time. I know she's afraid of the dark and won't fall asleep if it's too dark.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"