September 2012 Moms

Twin beds?

We're going to bite the bullet and spring for a bed for DD1 next month, as DD2 is going to need to get out of the pnp and claim the crib.  For moms of older kids, or moms who've already bought their S12 toddler a bed, can anyone recommend where they bought it?  I haven't ever bought bedroom furniture as we inherited all of ours from family, and even the nursery furniture was gifted.  Our plan is to go from crib to twin bed with rail(s).

Extra points if anyone wants to link the bed they bought!  TIA.

Re: Twin beds?

• We got DD's new bed at ikea. I looked at a bunch of furniture stores and kids stores and everything I liked was $700 plus. I won't spend that on a child's bed. Had we not gotten the ikea bed we would have gone with a mattress and box spring on the floor or a metal frame.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter has this bed https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316/ and we love it.  She started using it when she was about 20 months old.  We just put a body pillow on the open side for a little while till we felt comfortable that she wouldn't roll off (which she has done only once). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We ended up going from the toddler bed to a full sized bed for ds1. It is so big that we pushed one side against the wall and haven't needed a rail for the other side. But he was 4 when we put him in it. We have the pottery barn Kendall bed. It is pretty expensive, but we have had great luck with all of our pottery barn furniture (and customer service) and we plan on him using that bed for a very, very long time.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • pharmer78 said:

My daughter has this bed https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30080316/ and we love it.  She started using it when she was about 20 months old.  We just put a body pillow on the open side for a little while till we felt comfortable that she wouldn't roll off (which she has done only once). 

This is the one we got as well!
  • This is probably a dumb question, but have you ever bought Ikea furniture online, or is it worth the trip to the store?  We don't have one very close to us, but I've heard of people driving a couple hours to go to one, I'm just not sure why...
  • I think that delivery is expensive so people who aren't close to the stores will make a big trip out of it. The bed we both have is very heavy, like 250 lbs between 2 boxes and a pack of wood slats.
  • This is probably a dumb question, but have you ever bought Ikea furniture online, or is it worth the trip to the store?  We don't have one very close to us, but I've heard of people driving a couple hours to go to one, I'm just not sure why...
    We have one a little over an hour from us, so it's worth the trip to avoid delivery charges.  Plus we usually find more stuff there we end up buying.  :)

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• I don't have a brand, bc I have had it since I was a child, but we switched DS from a crib to a twin. We got an extra long bedrail and stool off amazon. DS does great with it. Here's a pic for reference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    We just bought a good mattress, and it came with a free boxspring, and put it on the ground in the corner of his room to get him (James) used to it. He still falls out of bed sometimes and I plan on the boys sharing a room in about a year so I'm in no rush to buy a bed.

I do love love love this daybed but DH vetoed it saying it is too girly.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• hmp1hmp1 member
    edited April 2014
    This is probably a dumb question, but have you ever bought Ikea furniture online, or is it worth the trip to the store?  We don't have one very close to us, but I've heard of people driving a couple hours to go to one, I'm just not sure why...
    Closest store is like 5 hours from here. Shipping is crazy expensive so there are Mom & Pop "businesses" that make a weekly Ikea run. You pay them for what you want plus an extra fee for their service. Depending on how far yours is, might be worth looking into a service like that.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

The shipping is outrageously expensive, but our closest Ikea is 2.5 hours away, our biggest car wouldn't have fit some of the longer boxes, and it was the same amount if I ordered multiple things.  So when we got her bed, we also ordered the matching 8 drawer dresser, some of the storage cubes, and 2 of the foam mattresses to make the shipping worthwhile!

• pharmer78pharmer78 member
    edited April 2014

ooooh @Holly_1007, tell me you got this one from Pottery Barn!!! https://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/catalina-stair-loft-bed/?pkey=cbunk-beds&group=1&sku=1402197

If Cruz had higher ceilings in his room, or if we owned an awesome beach house, I would love to get this style loft bed.  Seems so much sturdier than typical bunk beds!

Edit: nevermind, I see you moved him to a full!

• hmp1 said:
    We just bought a good mattress, and it came with a free boxspring, and put it on the ground in the corner of his room to get him (James) used to it. He still falls out of bed sometimes and I plan on the boys sharing a room in about a year so I'm in no rush to buy a bed.

I think that daybed would totally work for a boy.  I'd just put some navy blue bedding on it, and it would look great!
  • u might be surprised! in case you need anything else. My Fusion fit both Hemnes dressers. I was shocked.
    **Full non-juicy confession** if we ordered it online, it was going to arrive sooner than us finding a weekend to make the drive, so I might have been a little hasty when measuring our outback with the specs given on the website!  (I am very impatient)  But that's good to know for when we need to get Cruz's furniture!

• hmp1hmp1 member
    hmp1 said:

I think that daybed would totally work for a boy.  I'd just put some navy blue bedding on it, and it would look great!
    I agree but there are very few things DH has an opinion on and there are plenty of other bed choices so I will listen to his request this time :)

You can always just go with a cute headboard and a metal frame. Easy to do for under $200. This is currently out of stock, but something like this would be really cute.
    Product Details

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I bought a black metal daybed from a local store with a trundle bed. L will just move to there when #2 comes along. Until then, she is staying in the crib!

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • pharmer78 said:
    u might be surprised! in case you need anything else. My Fusion fit both Hemnes dressers. I was shocked.
    **Full non-juicy confession** if we ordered it online, it was going to arrive sooner than us finding a weekend to make the drive, so I might have been a little hasty when measuring our outback with the specs given on the website!  (I am very impatient)  But that's good to know for when we need to get Cruz's furniture!

The bed we both have for our DD's came home in our outback, but the front seat (passenger) had to be pretty far up. I also had DD's car seat in on the drivers side.
  • hmp1 said:

We have this bed in our guest room! We love it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We got DS this bed from Raymour & Flanagan, along with a matching dresser and nightstand. It wasn't cheap, but our intention was that he'll have this furniture until he moves out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"