Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

STMs - Prepping Toddler for New Baby

DS1 will turn 2 in June and DS2 is due in July. Any recommendations for things to do to prep DS1 for this? I've been talking to him about the baby, but I think he's kind of decided that everyone has a baby in their belly or that "baby" is just another name for belly. We read a book about a kid who gets a new baby sibling, and he asks to read it every night, but otherwise I'm not sure if there's much I can do. Would it be crazy/useful/pointless/confusing to get a baby doll to use for practicing how to be gentle with the baby?

Re: STMs - Prepping Toddler for New Baby

• Options

Just be reasonable with your expectations.  It isn't going to make much sense to him right now, and even if he did understand that a sibling was coming he wouldn't have much idea what that means.  The book is good, and a doll is worth a shot, but be prepared for him to be unprepared, if you know what I mean.  Mine are 2.5 years apart and it took DD a while to realize that DS was actually here to stay, all the time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine will be 22 months apart. I'm due in about 4 weeks. Our pediatrician said to start early working on concepts like soft and gentle. And that a baby doll is a good idea. We have also been talking about how when the baby is sleeping, we have to be quiet. She loves holding her finger to her mouth and tiptoe-ing past the baby's room. I'm sure she doesn't completely grasp what's happening, but we are doing what we can to talk to her about being a good big sister who is gentle and gives kisses. Also, the pediatrician stressed not to make any unnecessary changes, like moving from crib to toddler bed, right as the baby comes home. The new baby is change enough.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds exactly like us, DS just turned 2 and baby #2 is expected in 4 weeks.  He also thinks baby is another name for belly button b/c he points to everyones in says baby.  We have a book as well.  I thought as my belly got bigger he would think something was up but he doesn't even seem to be phased.  The doctor had it will be a change and he will probably regress some so I don't think there is anything we can do!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Same here, baby due in two weeks and my son will be two in June. He also points to my belly and says baby. We have decided to give him the baby at the hospital or when we come home because he is VERY into copying whatever DH or I are doing such as cleaning, cooking, getting dressed, etc. so we thought we could use that with the doll. Such as encouraging him to copy us with the doll, feeding, changing diapers, etc. LOL, my husband said the other day "I wonder if he will try to breast feed his doll when he sees you doing it?!" It will be a fun journey with two little ones:) all in all I don't think he's at an age he can be prepared, only take it as it comes with him once the baby is here.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"