2nd Trimester
Options

6 Month Weight Gain

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be 26 weeks tomorrow and I've already gained about 23-24 pounds so far.  Pre-pregnancy weight was 114 and I'm 5'2".  I have always been a big health nut, exercising regularly with running and toning and I always eat healthy and drink tons of water.  My habits haven't really changed during pregnancy - I just eat a little more of my healthy foods.  But I feel like I'm still gaining weight faster than a lot of other women do by the 6th month ... anyone have any advice or suggestions on how I can slow the weight gain?  Or some wise words to put my mind at ease? 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 6 Month Weight Gain

• Options
    My guess is that you'll probably gain around 35 lbs and it's okay. Just work on it after you deliver the baby. Usually weight gain slows down toward the end of pregnancy and many times you gain little to no weight during the last month. With my first, I even lost a pound during the last month. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    @dcmc0424, I think I read somewhere that women who tend to be overall a bit fitter or possibly underweight tend to gain more than usual, just because the body needs to fill out more space to make way for baby.

So long as you feel healthy and your Dr is ok with it, I'm sure that your body will burn it off after, especially if you plan to breastfeed!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try not to worry about how much weight your gaining. I gained 50lbs I with my first and 45lbs with my second!
  • Options
    I am exactly where you are, 26 weeks tomorrow & have gained 24lbs as of last week. I too have not really changed much of my routine or eating habits. It's all just part of process, so you might as well embrace it :o) I gained about 45 with my 1st, 60 with my 2nd, & 23 with my 3rd, & lost it all with in 10-15lbs within the 1st month after having them. If you breastfeed it helps you lose faster. 35lbs is about the "norm", & although they say the baby gains most of its weight in the last few months I usually end up losing a few lbs right before I'm due. Don't stress it & just keep doing what ur doing.
  • Options
    I've read one pound per week is a perfectly acceptable weight gain, I'm at 22 weeks and have gained 20 lbs. I am also very active and a health nut, and I am seeing numbers on the scale I've never seen before, it has been shocking! But I am trying to retrain my brain that this weight gain is perfectly healthy and what is right for me and baby. I have continued to eat extremely healthy, not using this as an excuse to eat junk and sugar, so I'm trying not to obsess about the number on the scale. So if you are at 26 weeks and have gained 24 pounds it doesn't sound like anything to worry about!
    Baby Girl Koa Lynn, and big brother Hershey

• Options
    Thanks ladies - I really appreciate the responses.  I feel like I need a sticky on my forehead reminding me it's all okay every time I look in the mirror! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know how much I have gained (totally can't remember, but I have an appt on Thursday and plan on writing it down!) but I am certainly getting sick of people acting all shocked and telling me my belly is soooo big for being "only" 23 weeks. I know it can be tough but try to ignore it and trust that your doctor would say something to you if they felt your weight gain was excessive. And from how you've described yourself, it absolutely does not sound that way! :)
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• Options
    I am the same way and was even put on modified bed rest at 21 weeks:( I am already looking forward to training for the turkey trot in our big city. I am just trying to remember it makes the baby weigh more in case it comes early! Don't worry and enjoy the pregnancy.
    Started ttc may 2012 Me:32. Dh:31 SA- 4% morphology Fsh:9.1 possibly not always ovulating Hysteroscopy/lLap 7/13 resulted in polyp removal, uterine septum, and mild endo stage 1 removed 10/13 IVF #1 successful 
    BabyFruit Ticker}

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I am 26 weeks and have gained 14lbs after losing 12lbs the first trimester.  My doctor is not concerned, so neither am I.  I would only worry if your doctor is.
  • Options
    mary97 said:
    A suggestion I would make is to not weigh yourself and just wait for appointments.  Don't look at the scale when they weigh you.  I don't ask, I don't look.  I was at my appointment today and all I know is that my weight gain is good.  That's all I care about.  We will all gain weight differently, in different places and at different rates.  It's hard to see our new bodies sometimes.  Your doctor will tell you if you gain is too fast or unhealthy. 

I do exactly this.
    BFP 7/13 ended 9/13 MMC BFP 1/14 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Stop comparing yourself to other women. 

This. I'm 2 inches taller than you and gained 80lbs. with my first, and lost all but 5-10 before getting KTFU with this one. Errybody is different. Just be you and embrace it!

• Options
    I have to watch sugar and salt a lot when pregnant. I eat a lot if chicken and veggies
  • Options
    If your doctor's not worried, don't worry. I've gained 12 lbs at 26 weeks and my doctor is on my ass, saying that I'm on track to gain too much... I was also overweight before conception. I know it's hard gaining weight, but I keep telling myself it's just a part of the whole process. 
  • Options
    I'm exactly where you are. 26 weeks and gained 23-24 lbs. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and meet with a trainer regularly. I did NO exercise in my last pregnancy and am at the exact same weight gain this time with #2 as I was before. I have moments of feeling really frustrated about it, but also guess it's just the way my body is going to behave! I just tell myself i lost it once and then some-- and will again. You will too!
  • Options
    I'm pretty similar, 26weeks and I've gained about 25lbs so far. I don't even keep a scale in the house so I can't weigh regularly. But I've had lots off people tell me I'm already huge and that you always gain the most weight in the last 3 months. I'm beginning to worry a little about what the next 3 months will bring. My OB has said she's fine with my weight gain so it's a little reassuring. We see when I go in this week! Hope all is well.
  • Options
    Remember those days when we were wishing for our bump to show???
  • Options
    Erin0303 said:
    Remember those days when we were wishing for our bump to show???
    Right?!?? Lol... 
  • Options
    Ha! And when ppl would say, "Oh you're hardly even showing!" those days are gone and I hear even after the baby is born some ppl may assume you're expecting and ask when you're due ... lol 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have opposite problem, I have gained 0.3lbs so far. I'm not fat either 5'7" and 127lbs. everyone is different and my doctor said baby looks good so it does not matter. he said i may only gain 5-10lbs entire pregnancy and that is okay as long as baby is growing. I think people worry too much about what others are doing in comparison.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IAmPregnant Tickerimage
    Still learning English! Sometimes I don't know what things are named...  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"