Trouble TTC

Clomid IUI?

So now that I've got my 4th failed clomid cycle under my belt (just waiting for that b*tch AF) I'm starting to think more about doing an IUI. I've only ovulated 2/4 cycles (on 150mg), and my RE says we could do an IUI but that she doesn't necessarily think we need it yet. So my questions to you ladies are, 1) how much could an IUI (on clomid) increase my chances of getting pregnant? 2) how many ultrasounds did you have with your IUI cycles? If we lived in Calgary I think I would do it in a heartbeat, but having to drive 3 hours for ultrasound monitoring is a HUGE deterent and added cost plus a ton of missed work if monitoring isn't on my days off. Sorry this is all one block of text, can't format on my iPad.
Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
EDD: Feb 5, 2018

Re: Clomid IUI?

• Did your doctor give you a reason/theory why your treatment so far isn't working? Has your husband had a semen analysis yet? The reason I ask, is an IUI may not help to increase your chances depending on what problems are going on right now.

Are you not getting ultrasounds currently while you're talking Clomid? My doctor hasn't mentioned any ultrasounds related to solely the IUI, all my ultrasounds are to monitor how Clomid is working.

Depending on what the current issues are relating to you and your H's fertility, Clomid + IUI could indeed help. But, it's not a solution for all. Essentially Clomid will help to stimulate the egg production, and IUI will lead the sperm to the right place. If the sperm needs work, it could be fruitless right now. I'd push for more information before you commit to anything!
  • Yes DH has had an SA, it's perfect. Our RE doesn't monitor clomid with u/s, just progesterone on CD24 to check for ovulation (that is just how things are done in this province). The reason I would have u/s monitoring for IUI is because of my PCOS ovulation predictors aren't reliable and the u/s would tell them when my follicles are ready to be triggered. 

Her rationale for us not being pg yet is that with each ovulation a "normal" person only has a 20% chance of getting pg and since i've only ovulated 2x I need to be patient, but that if I wanted we could move onto IUI. 
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI

• Loading the player...
  • meld42meld42 member
    edited April 2014
    Aeml1985 said:

Yes DH has had an SA, it's perfect. Our RE doesn't monitor clomid with u/s, just progesterone on CD24 to check for ovulation (that is just how things are done in this province). The reason I would have u/s monitoring for IUI is because of my PCOS ovulation predictors aren't reliable and the u/s would tell them when my follicles are ready to be triggered. 

Her rationale for us not being pg yet is that with each ovulation a "normal" person only has a 20% chance of getting pg and since i've only ovulated 2x I need to be patient, but that if I wanted we could move onto IUI. 
    Got it, it's so different from place to place! I also think I misread your initial post- so sorry! I'm not sure if your doctor would have a different plan, but mine does CD 1 ultrasound(to check for cysts before clomid), then start Clomid CD3-5, and said she'd do another ultrasound on CD10 to see how things were progressing, and she could decide if we could trigger.

I personally feel like it's going to give you a better shot to do Clomid and IUI with a trigger, simply because you will know you have the timing down! If you're doctor is down to start, I would go for it. I'm impatient too.

Edit: clarity.

• If you aren't ovulating every month on clomid maybe your RE needs to try a different med. I don't think an IUI would necessarily give you any better odds because you are still only ovulating half the time on Max dose of clomid. Is your RE suggesting a different med if you do an IUI?
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Lillovebug79Lillovebug79 member
    edited April 2014
    An IUI with trigger helps time sperm arriving around the same time as the egg is released. It can help your chances if you don't know for sure when you ovulate. For my IUI cycles, I usually only have 1 US to see how my follicles are growing usually around CD11. I know some people have more monitoring if needed.
    I have heard of some people having a post coital test done to see how sperm are able to get through cervical mucous. It is possible that clomid thickens or dries up cervical mucous and if the SA is normal I know that some REs check that before trying IUIs. I have a friend that had that test and it showed that her CM was too thick for sperm to get through. She took mucinex for 5 days around ovulation and it worked! Just something to maybe ask about!

Edited for spelling

********Siggy/Ticker Warning***********

Me (35) no known issues DH (37) MFI. TTC 21 months (24 cycles)
    Dx MFI with low to normal count, low motility, morphology 3%
    HSG normal, ultrasound and labs on me all normal. 

1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and TI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    1 cycle of Clomid 50mg and IUI, unmonitored by OBGYN= BFN
    Started seeing an RE!!
    2 more cycles of clomid 50mg (great response), with IUI and Pregnyl trigger (4.8-8 mil good ones after wash) = all BFN
    1 cycle of clomid 50mg (3-7) followed by Follistim 75iu (7-11) + IUI = BFN
    December 2013 DH saw urologist and is taking Anastrozole, CoQ10, and L-Carnitine
    IUI #5 natural cycle (needed a med break) = BFN
    IUI #6 Follistim 75iu (CD3-10) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI (final count after wash 300K) = BFN
    IUI #7 Follistim 75iu (CD3-9) + Pregnyl (CD11) + IUI on 2/20 (post wash count 12.5 million)= BFN
    IUI cancelled (DH OOT) Clomid 50mg (CD3-7) 1 follicle +(not well timed) TI = BFN
    IUI #8 and last one!! Clomid 100mg (CD3-7) +OPK before US + IUI 4/17 (post wash 8.5 mil)= BFN

Pre-IVF testing complete! SHG great and measurements taken! Labs for infectious diseases completed, FSH (5.4), TSH (1.6), Prolactin (11), AMH (2.6), Estradiol (40).

Started BCP 5/29 and Lupron 6/11 prep for IVF #1! Started follistim 225u/day on 6/28. Monitoring on 7/2 >15 follicles measuring 11-14, E2 758. Monitoring on 7/5 all ready to go!! Great follicle sizes and lining is at 9. Tigger 7/5, ER 7/7 16R 9M 3F. Stimmed too fast in just 7 days. 7/10 3dt of 2 8-cell grade 2 & 4. 7/14 P4 >60.
    Holy crap BFP!!!
    Beta #1 (14dpo) 7/21 112 Beta #2 (16dpo) 7/23 286 a Beta #3 (18dpo) 7/25 761 Beta #4 (21dpo) 2631!!! Hold on tight little embies!!
      First Ultrasound 8/7- 1 perfect little bean with a beating heart 117bpm!! EDD 3/30.
    Second ultrasound 9/2 Little bean measuring a few days ahead with a heart rate of 161!

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

Pregnancy Ticker

March 15 Siggy Challenge: You had one job

• No, she said we would stay on clomid, so long as I'm ovulating, which 150mg seems to do the trick. We also have TI every other day from cd8-24, so I don't really understand how an IUI would increase our odds?

• I do have CM issues, always did even before clomid although last cycle I had some after ovulation. I called the clinic to book an IUI pending my cd3 LH; if it's too high to use OPK's to determine ovulation we're going to wait another cycle.

• You are young so I think its up to you how aggressive you want to be right now. You could continue on clomid for a while and see if it happens naturally. I am on clomid right now and am about to do an IUI but mine is for MFI nothing on my end. I had one ultrasound on CD 4 then took clomid for 5 days. I am doing OPK kits at home right now. When I see a surge I call and then next day go in for my IUI. No other monitoring. Im not doing a trigger. The clomid was free and the IUI will cost me $450. I think if you are in a rush to get pregnant you will feel better giving the IUI a chance. It always feels good to have a plan and feel like you are doing something :)
    Husband: MFI Counts 1-11mil, Mot 32%-50% Morph 2-4%
    Me: slightly underactive thyroid
    Married March 2013 TTC since wedding.. 
    Jan 2014 Non medicated IUI-failed 
    April 2014 Started Clomid cancelled IUI due to a low sample
    May 2014 Variococele repair surgery
    (PM me any surgery success stories!)
  • So we're getting ready to do IUI next month. But we're doing everything the same this month, except we'll be doing TI vs IUI.

We had an u/s on CD3 to make sure we were good to go, that my lining looked good, no cysts, etc. So they gave us the go ahead to start medication (we're doing injections versus clomid so maybe you won't do that part....depends on how closely they monitor you).

Then we went in today, CD8 to do a folli scan to see how I was progressing. I had 1 egg at 12 cm, and nothing else measurable so I have to go back in Friday, CD10 to do my next folli scan.

So so far in 10 days of one cycle that'll be 3 u/s. The hope is that my egg looks great Friday and we can trigger and TI and be all set until AF or BFP.

So I'm getting the feeling its the same with IUI, they will monitor as needed. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

TTC: Started May 2012
    Bloodwork - potential ovulation issue which seemed to be fixed by clomid.
    SA - Mot (36%) and count low 9.3 mil (updated) 
    HSG - Oct 16 2013 - came back clear
    Clomid #1 - Nov. 2013 - BFN
    BFP#1 =  Clomid #2, Dec. 2013 - EDD 9.9.14 Loss Jan 9
    Femara #1 + Trigger (2/21) Feb. 2014 +ruptured ovarian cyst - BFN
    SIS clear
    April 2014: 50IU Follistim CD3-CD9 + 25IU CD10-CD13+CD13 trigger 1 mature follie= BFN
    IUI #1: May 2014 50IU Follistim + trigger + IUI = BFN
    IUI #2: June 2014 50IU Follistim + IUI (3 mil sperm)=  BFN
    TI #2: June 2014 50IU Follistim  + Trigger = BFN
    BFP#2 = IUI# 3: Aug 2014 75IU Follistim+ Trigger + IUI (2 mil sperm) EDD May 15

BabyFruit Ticker

Love bugs unite!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I did my cd3 bloodwork today, will find out Monday if my LH is low enough to allow us to use OPK's. If not the nurse said u/s cd 10 and 12 and hopefully I'll be ready to trigger. We only do u/s trigger if my LH is too high, otherwise it's OPK's.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"