May 2014 Moms

Baby Sammy's Birth Story (and NICU Updates)

Samuel Wyatt joined us on Saturday 4/12/14 at 12:27 pm at 35w+2d gestational age.  He weighed 6lb 7 oz at birth and measured 19.5" long.  

I went to the MFM on Friday for my weekly NST.  During 1.5 hours of monitoring, his heart rate kept dropping, so they did an ultrasound to investigate.  The placenta had further calcified, and we could also see the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck.  The MFM sent me to the hospital for monitoring.  While I was on the way to the hospital, he called my OB and recommended that they deliver because he thought there was a high risk of cord accident.  When I got to the hospital, we did another US and it appeared that he hadn't really grown much in the last 1.5 weeks, furthering concerns.  The OB decided that I'd stay on monitoring at the hospital while we started another round of betamethasone steroids and antibiotics to counter a suspected sinus infection.  The monitors showed that he wasn't in immediate danger, but also wasn't responding well, so we planned on a cesarean section for Saturday at noon.  

The cesarean went well.  The spinal took easily, and I got to witness the whole birth.  The spinal didn't go as high as it has previously, so I definitely felt more this time, but I spent so much time focusing on Sammy, it wasn't bad at all.  I was hoping I'd be able to spend some time with him in the PACU, but he was having a very difficult time breathing and had to go straight to the NICU.  My H got to hold him for a moment and I got to give him a kiss before they went down to the NICU.  I got patched up and went back to L&D to recover.  

I did well enough in the hours after the surgery that I was able to get wheeled down to the NICU in a chair that night.  Before that, my H and I used Facetime so I could see the baby.  He was on a CPAP and had 2 umbilical IVs, but was already doing very very well.  He did so well that they removed the CPAP and put him on a high flow nasal canula yesterday.   They also removed the umbilical IVs and put him on a regular arm IV. We got the call last night that we could start to hold him, so I got to hold him for the first time late last night.  

Today he's still doing very well.  He's a bit jaundiced and is on the bili lights, but is also maintaining his own body temperature without assistance.  I was able to hold him several times today, and we're talking about starting feedings tomorrow.  Tonight they're going to try to remove the nasal canula and allow him to breathe on his own.  If that goes well, they're hoping he'll be awake enough tomorrow to try to breastfeed.  

My recovery is going pretty well.  I'm on Motrin and have been walking to and from the NICU on my own since yesterday.  I'm just so grateful that he's doing well.  I'm off to go visit him again.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
 DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Baby Sammy's Birth Story (and NICU Updates)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"