2nd Trimester
Options

Sciatica during pregnancy

I'm just curious if anyone else has this symptom as bad as I have! I literally fell on my butt yesterday because it hit when I wasn't expecting it and hurt so much. It's been getting steadily worse for probably 4 or 5 weeks now, and I'm finally getting into the chiropractor today to get worked on a little. I majored in Human and Sport Physiology and briefly worked in Physical Therapy, so I understand the problem and methods to work on it, just never actually gone through it until now.

It hits at night, during the day, standing up from the toilet, rolling over in bed, basically anytime I least expect it. I'm starting to figure out certain movements to avoid or take slowly. My husband laughs at me every single time, but he doesn't realize just how much it hurts when it hits!

Any other mothers experiencing this?! Will the chiropractic help, with your experience?

Re: Sciatica during pregnancy

• Options
    One word. Pilates. I'll start to feel a twinge of sciatica, and then I go to reformer class, and its gone! I had sciatica really bad with my first pregnancy, and wish I would have known about pilates then. Now, I find that it mostly happens when I need to stretch out my hip flexors and hips! So, I do reformer class once/week with a prego friend of mine. Its so nice to do it with just a prego friend. Good luck to you.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Any recommendations for at home pilates? I live in a small town, middle of no where and pilates classes are nonexistent within a 75 miles radius.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Osteopath! And they can often fix it in 1 or 2 sessions, whereas a chiro will have you back very frequently.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have really bad hip/lower back pain - started sleeping with a regular pillow in between my knees at night, and that helped ALOT. I used to wake up early and want to go back to sleep, but laying down hurt so much. I got a pregnancy pillow, but as that thing is monsterous and I don't have a big belly yet, a regular pillow works for now. I use a lumbar support pillow in the car and some lower back stretches help a bit too. I've tried having my Hubby massage around the area, but I can't seem to find exactly where the pain is coming from. I guess if I get to the point where just using the pillow doesn't help, I'll try a chiro.
  • Options
     So I'm not the only one! I'm having it in my left hip-at least I think it's siatica, I don't think it's arthritis. It started after I took a spectacular icy fall at work this winter, then ramped up with this pregnancy.  I didn't have this with my other kids but I wasn't 42 either lol.

I've never tried chiro, is that safe?  What else might help?
  • Options
    Definitely try an osteopath. Natural methods that aren't painful with long term results.
  • Options

So I'm not the only one! I'm having it in my left hip-at least I think it's siatica, I don't think it's arthritis. It started after I took a spectacular icy fall at work this winter, then ramped up with this pregnancy.  I didn't have this with my other kids but I wasn't 42 either lol.

I've never tried chiro, is that safe?  What else might help?

It's perfectly safe to see a chiro, as long as they're aware of the pregnancy, and preferably certified to work on pregnant women.

I, however, have already stopped seeing this new chiropractor. I hadn't even filled out my paperwork and he handed me a brochure for something completely unrelated to why I was there. He ran tests on me and they came back and told him my problems are in my neck, not my hips. Even though every other chiro I've ever gone to has told me how awful my hips are, etc. With my background, I wanted to just yell at the guy, "I'm pregnant. Sciatic/SI pain is VERY COMMON during pregnancy! Stop cracking my neck and pop my hips instead!"
    But this chiro also doesn't accept insurance, so I'm just going to try a new one that at least takes insurance so I'm not paying out of pocket even if they don't make it feel any better.

• Options
    I've also got sciatic nerve pain. I had it with my last two pregnancies and ended up in physical therapy each time because the pain was so debilitating. I found that easy pregnancy yoga was best for me. I do it at home and can take it as slow and easy and stop whenever I need to.
  • Options
    I have a bulged disc that is pinching my sciatic nerve- have had it for several months- pre-pregnancy. A literal pain in the behind. I now see my chiropractor weekly which has helped a ton. I also got this pillow (unfortunately it was $15 less when I got it) and it has been amazing- huge difference in my sleep at night. 

I am sure a regular pillow between the legs will help more than not- but when i was switching sides at night it was a pain to move the pillow with me. With the U shaped pillow it is easier. 

Good luck. 
  • Options
    Chiro saved me from this during last and current pregnancies. This time was a bit more severe so I also started wearing an SI support belt
  • Options
    I have bad sciatic pain. I had it last time and got it really early on this time. I have started seeing a chiropractor and it seems to be helping.

• Options
    I'll be going for my regular checkup tomorrow and definitely ask the doc what I can do.  It's not comfortable!  I graduate from college next week and I don't want to fall on my butt in front of everyone!
    Together since: 1/19/09 Married: 3/14/09 Newest addition added: 9/7/14
  • Options
    I work for a chiropractor and got regular adjustments prior to pregnancy but since about 20 weeks, I'm 26 weeks now it's almost unbearable at times. My sciatic nerve flared up so bad I had to see my Dr, was unable to put my own underwear on! He prescribed a dose pack and flexiril! Helped for about a week then it's right back to hurting! Still keeping up adjustments and doing stretches, saw a massage therapist yesterday and it still hasn't eased up like I was hoping for. I definitely wouldn't be able to walk if it wasn't for getting adjusted.
  • Options
    themissthemiss member

Me!!!

I've been seeing an Acupuncturist for it, and it's made my life SO much better, so quickly! I was having issues from very early on, but didn't know what it was so I just chalked it up to pregnancy pain, etc.

I couldn't lay down on my back, sit for long bperiods of time, roll over in bed, etc. I would have to hobble to the bathroom during the night because I could hardly move my leg!

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    With my first pregnancy I had debilitating sciatic starting in the first trimester. After my first visit to a chiro it was gone! I did keep going 1/week. This time it started even earlier (around 4 weeks) and I went back to my chiro around 8 weeks and was having to go 3/week and eventually started wearing a SI belt around my hips. That finally helped to get rid of it. I've been sciatica free for about 2 weeks now.
  • Options
    I know it sounds crazy, but I started feeling discomfort in my sciatic nerve before I even got my BFP.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    knovitski said:
    @Cchewning -I'm guessing something else was going on with your body, not true sciatica. At 4 weeks, there haven't really been "structural" changes in your body to result in sciatica.

All of the progesterone your body is producing loosens things up, which is why my sacrum wasn't stable...Sciatic nerve pain can be caused from a lot of differnent things going on. Also, muscles, etc have memory and with it being my second pregnancy everything starts to relax even earlier. I actually found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks this time, and the sciatica started soon after that!
  • Options
    I am currently on disability for sciatica pain. I am a hairdresser and started by limiting my shifts to no more than five hours. I was going to physical therapy twice a week which was not helping at all and on occasion made things worse. I was put on disability at 20 weeks. I am currently 24 weeks and still dealing with sciatica pain. I have to limit my daily exertion and am just starting to realize what my new limits are. I have to plan my chores out for the week so that I am not doing too many things in one day.

I still haven't pinpointed what causes the pain. Standing or walking for periods of time are definitely a trigger. But sometimes stepping a certain way, standing up, rolling over, or picking something up will cause a very sharp pain. My husband has been an amazing help. I leave the heavy (non perishable) stuff in the car after a shopping trip and he brings them in the house when he gets home from work. He helps me load the laundry in the car and brings it in when it's done. He gives the dogs baths so I don't have to bend over and even picks stuff up when I drop it (which tends to be happening more and more frequently lol).

Basically just try and take it easy and find out what your new limits are. It's a difficult adjustment, especially if you're the independent type. But at the end of the day your back and legs will be very grateful.
  • Options
    My dr. recommended that I get a recliner and if I get uncomfortable in bed, I should move to the recliner and try and get a few hours of sleep.  I bought one last week and since then, I've been getting several hours of sleep (something that I haven't been able to do in months due to pain and discofort).  Now, I dont even bother starting my night in bed anymore...
  • Options
    I have it too. It flairs up at times and it's super painful. I also live in a remote area so going for adjustments or massages is out of the question.
    My dr suggest to walk, do yoga. And just try different things. Which I have been doing and it does help sometimes.
    I've also avoided bending down to pick up things or lifting things in general.
    I work as a teacher and so I'm on my feet a lot. I try to change things around but at the end of the day I mostly have to grin and bear it.
    Just counting down the days till the due date....!
    Hang in there!
  • Options
    I had it horribly with my first pregnancy! I couldn't even step into the shower or get dressed. Mine was so much worse at night. Because of the brain and spine surgeries I had, I wasn't able to see a chiropractor. I did apply a heating pad constantly. Doctor told me it was caused by the baby curling up against the nerve and he just refused to move. I seem to be okay (so far) with this baby. I couldn't imagine having it now... with a toddler! Good news is, it goes away instantly when baby is born. Hang in there!
  • Options
    Yes! I experienced this occasionally since I was a teenager, but now with pregnancy is so often. It hurts, but the best part is that my husband always gives me a massage when this happens. It usually takes about 30 seconds to 2 minutes to relief.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Mine has been off and on for the last week or so.  Today, it progressively got worse.  Stopping me in my tracks and catching my breath!  I am looking forward to seeing my Dr next week and seeing what suggestions he has.  I am just nicely in my second trimester and can't imagine 6 months of this. 
  • Options
    I've been having bad back pain, and I went to go see a chiropractor. He told me he wouldn't work on me because I'm pregnant. I'm surprised one is even willing to work on some of you ladies! :s Weird… 
    ~~~My baby girl is due November 4th, 2014~~~
  • Options

I've been having bad back pain, and I went to go see a chiropractor. He told me he wouldn't work on me because I'm pregnant. I'm surprised one is even willing to work on some of you ladies! :s Weird… 

@katiefritzler‌ That seems odd. in fact, I see a chiropractor that practices the Webster technique, which is especially geared towards prenatal care.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"