Baby Showers

Shower at my house?

My MIL is throwing my baby shower. She asked me yesterday if we could do it at my house because it is the biggest in the family. However, she works at a country club that is in a more convenient location for everyone to get to. I guess I do not care if it is at my house (less lugging around...) but what are your thoughts?

Re: Shower at my house?

• I would give the okay if MIL pays for cleaning service before the party. You shouldn't have to do lots of cleaning for your own shower.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. It was the thought of cleaning at 8+ months pregnant that kinda freaked me out. I did not even think of lingerers....geeeesh. I am really going to have to think about a cleaning crew and work on what to do when the party is still going and I need my nap. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • VORVOR member
    If you agree to it, set some clear expectations.  Like she needs to help clean the house before.  A start AND end time needs to be listed on the invitation.  And - if people really do linger, she needs to handle getting them to leave. 
  • I hosted a shower that took place at the MTB's house once.  It was an unusual circumstance, and the MTB asked for this.  (She was adopting, needed surgery on her foot, was off for the summer, the adoption agency moved the date of the adoption up by 2 months, she was still in a cast, her mom had dementia and would be more comfortable in a familiar place, etc.)  There was a list of reasons why doing it at her house was a good idea.

The other hosts and I paid for a cleaning service to come to her house prior to the party, her H took her out while the other hosts and I got in there and set up the food and decorations.  They brought her back at the start of the party, when most of the guests had arrived. The other hosts, her DH, and I stuck around after the party to clean, help set up all the furniture and unpack all the stuff, since she was out of commission with her foot in a cast. I don't think anyone looked askance at it taking place at her house.  It was clear she wasn't hosting it herself.  

However, if you are uncomfortable having the shower at your house, just decline it.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I agree with the ladies above about pre & post-cleaning. My bridal shower was at my house, but hosted by my wedding party. They came in the day before and cleaned the house (not that it was much of a wreck anyway - but they offered!). They brought all the food, drinks and cleaned up afterward.

It was hard for me because I throw a lot of parties and so it was hard not to be the hostess - but all in all it was pretty nice not to have to worry about anything for a change. :)

If you feel comfortable having it at your place, by all means, do so.

• I would think it would be a great idea transport wise for all the gifts since everything will already be there at you home. Long as its spotless when everyone leaves which Im sure it would be. But that would be my only concern is that things may not get tidied the way I would personally like since everyone is particular about thier home and I sure am lol. Would also be way more comfortable for you. May want to find out about decorations etc, like will you have to leave the house for the decorating or is just being like up stair or soemthing feasible with the host. But then again you may not feel like you want to be confined to one area prior either lol so going out might be the best bet. And finding out what is expected from you prior like having things taken out of certain areas etc, but of course you not personally doing the moving but those type of things. If all the little details are ok with you then by all means makes perfect sense.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards