Working Moms
Options

question about having a nanny

At the recommendation of our pediatricians, we have to pull DS out of daycare (he was just hospitalized for the second time in 3 months with a respiratory virus).  I believe we have found a nanny to watch him at our home.  I have a few questions about how to handle this and how to prep my house.  I feel silly asking some of these questions but as a FTM I want to make sure I'm going about this the right way:

- Even though we are hiring someone we know through friends, I assume I should draw up a contract, yes?  Even if it just outlines what the pay is, how much notice either of us would have to give each other, etc?

- She's only working 2 days a week.  How much vacation and/or sick time should we give?  I think we will be going away in August.  Can we say upfront that those are "mandatory" vacation days?  That's how my office works between Xmas and New Years.  Do we give a specific timeframe for notice for vacation from either of us?

- Should we buy extra toys, etc for his play area?  When I am home with him we usually have some errands to run or we go to classes.  She won't be driving him, though we'd love her to take him out in his stroller for walks or to a park or something.  I know this is one that I am totally overthinking but I don't want him to get bored. At daycare they obviously have different toys than we have at home so he was mixing it up with what he plays with each day.

- Is there anything else I should be thinking of?  I'll make sure our fridge & pantry are stocked so there are snacks for her to help herself to if she'd like.  I'd assume she'd bring her own lunch but I will confirm that with her.

TIA!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: question about having a nanny

• Options
    Be clear about her bringing her own food. We told our first nanny she could eat our food, and it turned into a real pain. Like someone else has said in here, I take food to my job, so it's not unreasonable to ask a nanny to bring her own.

We wrote up a contract w our current nanny that detailed paid sick days, etc. She gets two weeks of paid vacation, as I have two weeks off (I teach) per year. We also pay for days we cancel for whatever reason. I wouldn't worry about the toys, just wait and see.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

We have a nanny 2 days per week as well. She brings her own food for lunch and we work together on coming up with creative ideas on what the kids can do. She has a preschool work book she uses for my 3 year old - and he loves it! She doesn't drive them yet- but will need to this September once DS goes to preschool. If I trust her with my kids alone all day- I surely trust her to drive them short distances.

We do not pay her holidays or time off- the way I think about it is she is part time, part time employees at my work do not get PTO or holiday pay. She never even contested this, she was under the same understanding. If she were full time, it would be different.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, all.  Sorry that was a post & run.  I haven't been able to get back on a computer since this weekend.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have full time. We pay 2 weeks vacation, and all the holidays we get at work. I would also pay for an occasional sick day.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"