Baby Showers
Options

Shower 2 weeks before due date??

Hi ladies, I was hoping I could ask for your opinions on this. My mom just told me that my aunts want to throw me a baby shower. I told her that this was very kind of them to offer. However, they want to time it to accommodate one of my out of town aunts who will be home at the end of July. Two weeks before my due date. I expressed some concerns about this to my mom, who pretty much blew me off. I am hoping to talk to the aunt in charge and talk to her about it.

Am I being a crazy and unreasonable pregnant lady about this, or would you all be concerned about having their shower so close to their due date?

Re: Shower 2 weeks before due date??

• Options
    With my first, one of my showers was 3 weeks before my due date. I was due February 5th and with the craziness of the Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season, my sisters didn't feel comfortable planning it prior to that. It worked out just fine and truthfully, I didn't even give it any thought at the time, but I see what you're saying. If it makes you uncomfortable, then you can always decline the shower. 
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine is two weeks before my due date too. Technically it's 15 days.

I obviously haven't done it yet, but my expectations are pretty much that I am going to be gigantic and that I will have a really amazing nap afterward. I imagine I will get to chat and eat cake and open presents and move around like a very pregnant person which should tickle the guests. Unfortunately, at 38w, I won't be dancing on tables.

I might be less okay with it if the guests were people I was not comfortable with. For me it is the case that the guests are all family and family friends, and the great majority are mothers themselves. I just need to be charming for a few hours and no one is going to think less of me if I'm not perfect. I hope you have a similar scenario!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a small shower to attend 2 1/2 weeks before my due date. A coworker asked to throw a joint shower for myself and one of our other coworkers who is due about 7 weeks after I am for those at our office who choose to attend. She was so kind and thoughtful to offer, I wouldn't have thought about suggesting a different date. I'm really not worried about it at all. I will still be working full-time, so I don't see why I can't take a few hours to sit down and eat food with a few friends. If the baby comes that early, I will be so excited and preoccupied with her being here, that other logistics & details won't really matter. If she doesn't, I think it will help give me something to look forward to so I'm not just spending my time thinking and waiting for her to arrive.
  • Options
    ValancyyValancyy member
    edited April 2014

I had both my sons at exactly 38 weeks.  So...I'd probably be in labor the day of the shower, or right before.

I'd be concerned if it was my main shower, where I was expecting a lot of items to be purchased off the registry.  I would definitely make sure I had everything I needed before the shower and just leave things on the registry that you don't really need, or can use a lot of, like baby shampoo, lotion, diapers, items for older babies (like spoons, sippy cups).

But...I like to be prepared and would NOT want to be waiting around to see what was bought when I could go into labor at any time right before or right after the shower. 

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• Options
    Everyone is different, but my shower was two weeks before my due date--my OB even laughed and said "hope you make it"--but it worked out great. Baby dropped a few days before and I was actually more comfortable than I had been at 37 weeks. From the stats I found, I had a only a 10% chance of delivering by 38w.

The only thing that worried me was going into labor with the thank you notes not done, so I had cards and stamps ready and started them the evening of the shower and finished them the next day.

AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

jbelle

• Options
    Thanks for all of the input. I will try not to worry about the date and just enjoy myself. I think, more than anything, my mom's dismissal  of my concerns bugged me more than the date, looking back on the conversation. 

I also guess I was hoping to have all of the odds and ends taken care of by about 36 weeks...just the organizer in me. I do have some concerns about being really uncomfortable by then, especially with it being July...but I will put my big girl panties on and be thankful :) 
  • Options
    Personally that would make me way to nervous, even though both my kids were a week late. I am a big planner and wanted to have everything ready- nursery set up, clothes washed, items exchanged, equipment assembled. I would ask your aunt to move it earlier. It's really not fair to you the guest of honor that they are more accommodating of your aunt. If they are stubborn about it, then I guess you just have to deal with it, but I'd at least try to move the date.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    acorn99 said:
    Hi ladies, I was hoping I could ask for your opinions on this. My mom just told me that my aunts want to throw me a baby shower. I told her that this was very kind of them to offer. However, they want to time it to accommodate one of my out of town aunts who will be home at the end of July. Two weeks before my due date. I expressed some concerns about this to my mom, who pretty much blew me off. I am hoping to talk to the aunt in charge and talk to her about it.

Am I being a crazy and unreasonable pregnant lady about this, or would you all be concerned about having their shower so close to their due date?
    I don't think you are being unreasonable or a crazy pg lady. A lot of babies are born 2 or more weeks before the due date. Do you have any reason to suspect that yours might though? Are you high risk? Is the shower in your town?
    My daughter came early and my last shower was at 36 weeks. I completed my registry the next week and DD was born about 5 days later. I didn't even have all of the stuff put away yet. My diaper bag was delivered (ordered online) while I was in L&D. It was chaos. I realize some women might not be bothered by the situation but I am extremely ocd about being prepared. I drove me nuts.  FWIW, I did have all of the absolute essentials, except the diaper bag. I just didn't have the nursery finished.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    @texasmomma13 I am not high risk and it is only about twenty minutes from my house...I am not so much worried about having the baby early as I am about being really uncomfortable by then. I am not good at being the center of attention and the thought of being that when I am big and swollen and hot really stresses me out. 
  • Options
    @acorn99, since you aren't high risk I wouldn't worry about it too much then. You'll of course be hot, but those goes with the territory of giving birth in August. I've been there honey. For me, it was nice to actually get dressed up a bit and get out of the house for something other than a doctor's appointment.  Maybe you can use it as an good excuse to get a pedicure and have your hair done. Some final pampering before you deliver. Also, ask the hostess to crank the ac up a bit for you and have some ice cold lemonade (or whatever you like). Hope you enjoy your shower.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    This is the latest I would want to agree to a shower, but I would be fine with it.  Yeah, it's true that at 38 weeks most people are pretty huge and uncomfortable, but it's not like you're being asked to run a marathon.  

Those last weeks can be a pretty tense wait.  Having a shower might provide a little entertainment and help keep you from being too stir-crazy!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"