2nd Trimester
Options

Help with heartburn?

My heartburn is awful this pregnancy! It is all day everyday and I'm chewing tums like candy. Anything else I can take? My mom told me a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar helps and it does but I'm drinking it by the bottle. I need something else!
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Help with heartburn?

• Options
    I get it horribly! But having smaller meals seem to subside it.
    BFP 7/13 ended 9/13 MMC BFP 1/14 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My OB said I could use Pepcid if Tums didn't work for me. And if Pepcid didn't work then Xantac then Prilosec. But yours could have totally different advice. Doesn't hurt to call and ask.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tinkerbell084Tinkerbell084 member
    edited April 2014
    Definitely check with your OB, my OB approved the same as Qualera's - the regular zantac has worked best for me, and I feel better taking just one of those rather than chowing down on Tums all day long.
  • Options
    jdoxjdox member
    Tums doesn't do anything for me. My OB said I could take Pepcid which has been a lifesaver.
  • Options
    I take Zantac twice a day. It's safer than taking zofran during pregnancy ;) you can get it OTC
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My dr told me to take Zantac 150 twice/day. It really helps.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Zantac or Pepcid should work lots better than tums.  Im actually on prevacid but I have GERD.  Eating slow and not within a few hours of bedtime also helps.

Strange but true chewing gum is a great temporary solution.  If I start chewing gum the heartburn nearly goes away for a while.
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    @Tweeks23 are you using raw apple cider vinegar (from the Mother)?  I think that makes a difference.
    It is raw apple cider vinegar. I'm trying to slow down when I eat as well. I'm a very fast eater and mostly b/c I have had to rush through my meals in order to feed the kids so I'm trying to slow down. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Peppermint Orbitz gum, Gaviscon (store it in the fridge), and sleeping in a recliner instead of bed. Had horrible HB with my first, and these 3 things helped the most. Good news is the MINUTE baby was born, the heartburn was gone! (And now back with pregnancy #2)
  • Options
    Try over-the-counter Zantac - One tablet 2-3 hours before going to bed.  I had horrible - and I mean HORRIBLE heartburn with my first pregnancy, and once I started this medication, I had instant relief the very first day.  I am a physician myself, so am very cautious about taking anything that might harm the baby, but my OB (and all the medical literature) says that it's perfectly safe.  So far with this pregnancy (I'm only 14 weeks), I haven't had any heartburn, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 
  • Options
    I havr acid reflux disease and am on a high does of perscription meds twice a day and still need to take Zantac. I find sleeping with my upper body elevated helps and not eating 3 hours before bed. Also small meals and aviod high acid foods like orange juice and tomato products. When really helped me was switching to fat free milk.

Anniversary

• Options
    ss265ss265 member
    When I was pregnant with my first, pre-natal massage really helped with my heartburn.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"