Babies: 0 - 3 Months

bottle cleaning question

Hi mommies,

when you guys wash and clean the bottles, do you guys sterilize everytime? Or just before the first use after coming out of the packaging? I was just wondering what your routine is. I sterilize after every wash, but that seems so tedious and time consuming sometimes. 

Re: bottle cleaning question

• mbhalla33mbhalla33 member
    edited April 2014
    I sterilized when we first opened the package and then I sterilize them once a week. I read that washing in dishwasher or by hand is fine after using them but I feel better sterilizing weekly as well.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • same here, sterilize them once a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • I soak mine for 30 minutes in HOT water before I wash them. I sterilized them before I used them the first time, so to me this is good enough
  • I also sterilized before we used them initially. Now, I'll sterilize whenever I have time - which TBH, has only been once since DD was born. In my defense, we have really HOT water that I wash in.

Also, IMO, unless my baby had a compromised immune system or was a premie, I think sterilizing after each use is a little much. If you have time, go for it.

However, this is coming from a mother who doesn't always rinse off the paci if it falls on the floor. So sue me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image   image  image
  • berenely said:
    I also sterilized before we used them initially. Now, I'll sterilize whenever I have time - which TBH, has only been once since DD was born. In my defense, we have really HOT water that I wash in.

Also, IMO, unless my baby had a compromised immune system or was a premie, I think sterilizing after each use is a little much. If you have time, go for it.

However, this is coming from a mother who doesn't always rinse off the paci if it falls on the floor. So sue me.
    LOL!  Umm...guilty!  I've done this once or twice.  5 second rule right?  
  • Unless you're sealing them after sterilizing them, they are immediately un-sterile because your house is not sterile.  If you have reason to believe the bottle/nipple has been exposed to something abnormally funky (like it rolled across the floor or a public bathroom or your LO has been sick), it's not necessary.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• gpl_jghgpl_jgh member
    edited April 2014
    Wow. I sterilize my bottles after each use, yes I do find it tedious, but I thought this was the common practice. Lol! I sterilize my pump a couple times a week, but that's because I read that if you keep it in the fridge, it doesn't need to be sterilized after each use.
  • Agree with PP- unless your baby is immunocompromised or if you believed the bottle has been unusually exposed to something (baby's sick), there is no reason to sterilize. The tap water used to make formula is far from sterile as is the bottle and nipple, once they've been touched.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I always washed in hot soapy water and sterilised after every use until my daughter was about 6 months old, I also never used straight tap water always cooled boiled water to make up her formula. The things you learn hey lol maybe you guys do things a little differently in America? I'm from Australia and my maternal child health nurse was the one who recommended it.
  • everyday I wash normal hot soapy water ... no dishwasher

:(  but I sterilize like every other week .
  • wow. I either sterilize or dishwash all our bottles before use. But ours goes to DC and who know what they've done to them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was sterilizing them once a week but since my son developed thrush I've been sterilizing therm after every use. It's time consuming but it seems to be helping get rid of the thrush
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"