June 2014 Moms
Options

Pets and the nursery

lellyminelellymine member
edited April 2014 in June 2014 Moms
Will you be keeping your pets out of the nursery? If you are, why?

Re: Pets and the nursery

• Options
    Will not be, unless she's keeping him distracted during nap time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH said we will keep the cats out of the nursery but not the dog. Can you tell that he hates the cats :)

Our cats meow at anything that moves when they are hungry (which is all the time) so we will probably try and keep them out if they start doing that with the baby.
  • Options
    We have two dogs and they're allowed in the nursery.

• Options
    I plan to keep my cat out of the nursery at first. I read that it can be an issue if they jump into the crib to cuddle, they can accidentally suffocate baby. Basically since this is our first and we have no idea how she will react, any interaction at first will be closely monitored.
  • Options
    We're definitely letting our dog Zeke in... he's a sensitive creature and we worry that keeping it off limits may have him feel more threatened by the babe. He'll have a bed of his own in there so he knows he's welcome.
    MET: 12/31/06 ENGAGED: 5/23/11 MARRIED: 11/11/11 DD DOB: 6/6/14
    image image image
  • Options
    No way! My dogs are actually obsessed with the nursery right now. They want to smell everything, roll on the rug, and look at all the stuffed animals/toys. My older dog has started trying to take naps in there, so I think he senses something coming!

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • Options

I plan to keep my cat out of the nursery at first. I read that it can be an issue if they jump into the crib to cuddle, they can accidentally suffocate baby. Basically since this is our first and we have no idea how she will react, any interaction at first will be closely monitored.

Oh that makes sense. I've always wondered by people keep cats out. I hadn't thought about them wanting to sleep with the baby.
  • Options
    babygabe614babygabe614 member
    edited April 2014
    We have two cats and we probably won't discourage them from going in. They're terrified of pretty much everyone besides DH and I so I'm definitely not worried about them jumping in the crib or even wanting to be anywhere near baby. My only hesitation is we have one male and I worry he'll get territorial when we bring her home and I don't want him marking anywhere in there.

• Options
    Our dog Jack goes in now with us whenever we are in there and we try to make it a positive experience. We've already been bringing home blankets for him to smell Henry. Otherwise it's gated off and our cat Sophe is too fat and lazy to jump it. I really think Sophie won't want anything to do with Henry, but Jack definitely will want to be involved. I don't think I necessarily want to keep them out but if they are going in the room, it will be supervised and for a very short time.
  • Options
    For now they don't go in the nursery but that's just cause I've been keeping the door closed cause DD keeps trying to climb into the crib. When the baby is born I'm sure my dogs will make their way in there since they already go in DD's room all the time. 

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We will let our dog in there only if we are in there. She isn't allowed in DS's room either, even though she loves to sneak in there and sleep in his bed. We will just keep the door closed when baby isn't in there.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Our dogs we have in there while we are but keep the door shut when we arent. I'm just trying to cut down on the dog hair in there. Other than that, they'll be allowed in and out. Trying to keep them put permanently is fighting a losing battle! Lol
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I see no reason to keep our dog out of the nursery.
  • Options
    I'm kind of hoping the dogs choose to sleep in there after LO is in his crib. Protection and all :)

• Options
    No, we have one 20 lb Boston Terrier and we don't have any plans to keep him out of nursery. He is quiet and doesn't shed much at all. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Not restricting at all, but Buddy the pup is being pretty strange about it. If DH and/or I are in there, he'll reluctantly come in if we call him and then leaves real quick. Then, I'll be in the bathroom brushing my teeth or something, and catch him in there by himself checking things out. I think he's really sketched out that some big change is happening but he doesn't know what it is yet.

image        image

• Options
    b48kateb48kate member
    edited April 2014
    We are going to address this issue as it arises. The cats will probably be kept out if the nursery once the baby moves in there. At least until the baby is old enough to turn himself (basically when we feel he is "blanket safe"). We are not concerned that the cats will hurt the baby, but our big male would likely love to snuggle with a soft, warm baby. That is all well and good, but I can just see him sitting right on the babies head. 
  • Options
    We are going to address this issue as it arises. The cats will probably be kept out if the nursery once the baby moves in there. At least until the baby is old enough to turn himself (basically when we feel he is "blanket safe"). We are not concerned that the cats will hurt the baby, but our big male would likely love to snuggle with a soft, warm baby. That is all well and good, but I can just see him sitting right on the babies head. 
    @Internationalkate‌ - Probably wouldn't look as cute or comfortable as this.
    @Rachel5130 I have dreams that the baby and cat will be just like this…so freaking cute!!
  • Options
    The cat and dog are only allowed in the room when we are in there. Both of them have a bad track record of peeing on things so we just keep all the doors to rooms shut unless we are in there.

imageimage

• Options
    I second ElTrain5. I hope the dogs will sleep in there with him.
  • Options
    fsumomfsumom member
    edited April 2014
    I guess I'm in the minority.  Our dogs aren't allowed in any rooms with carpet which include all bedrooms.  They are still puppies and one of our dogs is very timid so I'm worried about her reaction to the baby.  We just simply keep all bedroom doors shut.
    ~Jessica~ 

• Options
    I didn't keep our dogs out. We got a kitten when DD was about 3 months old and I didn't keep her out unless I was trying to get DD to sleep. The cat just likes to cuddle and I was a little wary of that because DD couldn't roll over or move much. Now they all have free range to everything. I'll keep the cat away from where this baby sleeps for the first year or so.
  • Options
    We are planning to keep our cat out once we start using it. He will be blocked off at night and while baby is sleeping for sure. If supervised he can go in :)
  • Options
    My dog is a big part of our family so no room is off-limits.
  • Options
    sjn00sjn00 member
    I just have two little doggies and they sleep in the bed with me, and considering she will be in the room with us at first, they will be allowed in also. Im not worried cuz they are dogs and can't jump into her territory like cats would be able to. She will be in the living room a lot too during the day so she will be with the dogs anyways because they have complete access to the house. Heck im sure they will protect her more than I could haha.
  • Options
    For now, we are keeping the door shut because the dog thinks the rocker is his and keeps jumping up on it.  Once the baby is here, we will keep the door open so he will go in if he wants

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We're going to try to keep out two cats out of the nursery.  The only reason is because they shed like mad, especially in the summer, and I don't want to constantly be cleaning fur off of the rocker (which is currently covered in a sheet because they've already discovered it and love to sleep there) and crib sheet.  Also, and this may be insane, but I'm terrified of my lovie cat snuggling up with baby and suffocating him/her.  That's probably ridiculous, but I totally have FTM syndrome.  Once the baby is a little older we will probably let them have free reign again.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
    FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15
  • Options
    hampire said:
    Nope. The nursery is also our bedroom and they sleep with us every night so... We'll be one big happy family adults, baby, dogs, and cat all tucked into one cozy room.
    This. Except the dogs we don't' own any. We're rooming in with baby for awhile and my 3 cats would loose their shit if they couldn't sleep in the bed with us. They don't usually sleep up near the people so i'm not overly concerned about them getting to close to the baby.

DH is a little more worried and is debating a crib tent..... w/e! (this is an actually promo from one manufacturer.)
    I wasn't worried until this thread forced me to think about it. My cat is super snuggly (mostly with me - he could care less about DH) and I could totally see him climbing into the crib and sleeping with our LO. Which would be cute unless that sleeping involves sleeping ON our LO. So... maybe a tent isn't such a bad idea? 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    Our dog is allowed in there however, right now the door is kept closed so the cats don't go in. We plan to put up a screen door to keep the cats out. I don't want them sleeping in the crib and really don't want their fur everywhere. I want to shave them as is because I can't stand their fur anywhere but especially don't want it all over baby's stuff. 

• Options
    @njbabymamma thats good advice!  we are letting our bulldog go in the room.  we want him to get used to the furniture and some of the toys.  the mama roo will make an appearance in our living room soon so he can get used to it and learn to leave it alone.  i am trying to minimize the shock for him when the baby comes home, which will be tough enough for him.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We got a gate to put in the doorway so we can block off the dogs as needed but still keep the door open so they can see in or see me if in nursing. But we will allow them in when we're there and eventually open it up more. I have a feeling 1 or 2 of them will end up sleeping in there to keep watch but we have one who loves his attention so I'm not sure how he will react to sharing us with this new person.

• Options
    Nope, the animals pretty much have free reign over the house. I'm hoping doggo really takes to LO and they buddy up. Little people freak the cat out and she tends to hide from them, so not sure how she'll react to one moving in with us.

like @Babywear did - once we get the crib set up I am going to fill it with aluminum foil for a while to discourage kitty from jumping in just in case - hopefully that derails the behavior before LO arrives.
    June '14 June Siggy - Summer Heat!

• Options
    Our little Toot is allowed in the nursery when we are in there but otherwise the door is kept closed.  Mostly bc for some reason she loves to pee on rugs and the only she hasn't gotten to is the one in the nursery.  I bought a giant stuffed hippo that lays flat for LO, but Toot has already claimed it, so I guess that will be her bed when we are in there:) Which keeps her off the rest of the furniture/blankets so worked out nicely! 

• Options
    I'll be keeping the cat out. She has a tendency to vomit on things and I'd rather keep the areas I have to check on limited. She also likes to scratch at everything so keeping her out of there is one less room I have to worry about. She will also be out of our room while baby is sleeping in there since she'd be able to, and would, get int he bassinet. Once baby is in his own room, the cat can have our room as a hiding spot again.

I may get one of those extra tall gates to leave the door open, not sure yet. I know she'd jump a normal height one but she's a scaredy when it comes to jumping high.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    Pups aren't allowed in the nursery or our bedroom, but they've never had access to the upstairs so there's no adjustment with the baby's room. The baby will be spending time downstairs in a pack and play so that the dogs can get used to her.
  • Options

We have two cats and we probably won't discourage them from going in. They're terrified of pretty much everyone besides DH and I so I'm definitely not worried about them jumping in the crib or even wanting to be anywhere near baby. My only hesitation is we have one male and I worry he'll get territorial when we bring her home and I don't want him marking anywhere in there.

@babygabe614

You can get something called Feliway. Put one in the nursery now if he is allowed to go in it. It is a pheromone that helps cats with anxiety and inappropriate urination. It can take a bit for it to work There is a plug in ir spray. I like the plug in.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"