May 2012 Moms
Options

Really though...

I FINALLY had surgery on my finger today. They repaired the tendon but didn't put a pin in because he is still worried about infection. The tendon was in rough shape so he was very adamant about me not bending my finger until it is healed and I was fitted for a special splint. Work is hesitant to let me come back to even modified duty (which I figure would be no animal handling at all, just data entry and phone calls). My argument is that while I know I need to let my finger heal, I'm more at risk with my crazy toddler than at work on a computer. Besides being home all day it's not like I won't be on my computer anyway lol. I would stay home and rest but compensation only pays 85% which isn't good enough for me and I'm such a control freak I'd be worried all day about what's not getting done.

On the other hand rest sounds nice right about now because my hand just woke up from all the kcal anesthetic and it's SCREAMING! Reminding myself I wanted it fixed.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Really though...

• Options
    I know it sounds crazy but my suggestion is to stay homie but still send DD to daycare. Give your hand the time it needs to heal properly. Sitting at your desk may not hurt it but there are lots of ways you could just getting to work, getting dressed, etc. The very last thing you need now it to hurt it again and possibly require more surgery. Or worse yet, permanently damage the tendon.

I know it is hard to not be at work and think about what isn't getting done but after everything that has happened in the last couple weeks I think it's the safer choice.

How long are they talking about your staying home? Maybe you could just stay home for the first week and then go back?
  • Options
    It would be weeks. They did not put a pin in, so there is nothing but the splint holding my finger straight. On top of it DH is still only home part time due to training, so regardless of if I send her to daycare during the day (which I do any ways when I'm off because I pay whether she is there or not) I'm still the primary diaper changer, baby dresser, bather, and feeder until the end of summer. There's very little getting around it and let's be honest, I'd spend my day bumping or killing time online anyways, may as well be typing at work and get paid is my thought. KWIM? lol

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, how frustrating! I hope you heal swiftly and have no more issues with this injury. I agree with @Najzomax suggested. Stay home. If it were me, I'd hire a mother's helper for at least a few hours a day. Cheaper than a babysitter but can be a big help while you heal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    littleredfishlittleredfish member
    edited April 2014
    I wish my budget allowed for a mothers helper. Plan for the day is to go in and make a list of tasks for the girls to accomplish today and weekend, then gather some things to work from home. Then relax on the weekend and see where I'm at Monday

• Options
    Aww, I hope you have a strong recovery for your finger!
  • Options
    I understand wanting to go to work and I agree being home is way harder so you might as well make the money unless you want the extra time to enjoy time off with some pay with your lo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Options

Finger is healing pretty well. I took the whole surgery day off (Thursday), and attempted to go in Friday to make a list of things to get done that afternoon and through the weekend. That was a flop. Left after 3 hours with the sweats and feeling like I was going to throw up because of the pain. Thankfully after that day of rest things picked up quickly. My finger is still tender, but way better so far this weekend. Follow up appointment to come, but I'll be sticking with the modified duty at work. They have also been very generous with their allowance for me to work from home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"