School-Aged Children

Orthodontics

DD has an upper spacer that we would turn night with a "key" that will be removed in June.  She had a lower one placed in the last few months that she'll keep in a year.  She has some crowding so this should fix it, but the orthodontist mentioned she may still need braces.  She's 8.  Any experience with spacer/appliance and later needing braces? 

DS has an underbite and still has his two front baby teeth at 8.  Orthodontist evaluated him previously and wanted to re-evalute him in 6 mo.  It's coming up soon, but I wonder what the next step will be.  Any experience with an underbite?

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: Orthodontics

• Your DD's situation sounds the same as mine was. I got a palate splitter (the thing you turn with the key to space out your jaw) when I was 8, then when I was 9 or 10 I got braces to fix the gaps between my front teeth, then I had headgear that I wore just at night to correct the underbite. The braces came off when I was 13. I remember thinking it was strange, they x-rayed my hands to see when to take them off. I guess your finger joints are the last ones in your body to fuse and that's how they know you're done growing and it's okay to discontinue the treatment.

This was all 20+ years ago so I'm not sure how much has changed in treatment methods since then, but as an adult I look back on it and I don't really have any negative feelings toward the situation. It just seemed necessary and I'm glad I have the teeth I do now :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
  • DD is excited about the possiblity of getting braces so we'll see. 
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I'm glad she's excited about it then! That's a good, positive attitude!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"