Stay at Home Moms

Kiss on the Lips

Do you and your child kiss on the lips?

Me and my husband both give kisses to our son on the lips (he is 2) But recently my dad made a comment about how he didn't kiss his mom on the lips and asked when we would stop.

My husband said he will stop eventually but didn't have an idea of when, and I had never thought about it really.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kiss on the Lips

• Originally, my husband didn't because he thought it was weird. He got over that real quick. We kiss them on the lips.
  • I don't. Seems odd when I see it done.
  • Loading the player...
  • No.  I am not going to say that I never have, but generally I kiss them on the cheek, or they kiss me on the cheek. 
  • No. We kiss on the cheek.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• I follow ds lead for kissing. But usually he likes to kiss on the lips. I see no problem with it. DH finds it odd so they kiss on the cheek or wherever. I figure naturally it will move to the cheek and then stop completly.
    Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I kiss Z on the lips or cheek. Just depends. 
  • Yes, and I've never thought twice about it.
    April 2009
  • I give my kids smooches all over their faces, lips included. They all go right for our lips when coming in for a kiss.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My IL's don't kiss my husband. They are huggers though
  • Hav=Fath said:
    LoriLee14 said:
    My IL's don't kiss my husband. They are huggers though
    I don't remember the last time I kissed my parents at all, or my H his. Adults don't kiss other adults around here.
    But we already know where you live is weird. :)
  • I do not kiss my mom on the lips but I do kiss on her and my dad. (cheeks)

• Yes - he's 2 - I don't think it's weird at all. I'll kiss him on the lips for as long as he allows or it becomes weird - whichever is first. ;)  DH kisses DS on the lips too.  

As he gets older I imagine I'll kiss him on the cheeks, and I refuse to put an age limit on that!  A hug and a quick peck on the cheek for hellos, goodbyes, etc.  I realize when he's a teen he won't want to in front of his friends, and I can respect that.
  • Hav=Fath said:
    KateMW said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    LoriLee14 said:
    I don't remember the last time I kissed my parents at all, or my H his. Adults don't kiss other adults around here.
    Do you still kiss your mama? On the lips? 
    I doooo. I also kiss my grandpa on the lips :)  Always have!  That's just how he kisses his grandchildren.  I kiss DD on the lips. Maybe that's a big thing in our family? Never really thought twice about it.  H doesn't kiss her on the lips, though, as he never grew up a lip kisser.  In Holland they do a 3 kiss thing on the cheeks.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Hav=Fath said:
    KateMW said:
    Hav=Fath said:
    LoriLee14 said:
    Do you still kiss your mama? On the lips? 

Yes of course I still kiss my mother and my aunts and my dad. On the cheek, but why would you not kiss your parents? Weird
  • Sometimes.  I think it's weird, but DS seems to go right for the lips.  But yea, to me, I don't like it.  I would much prefer cheeks/noses/etc.
  • The boys are still in the sloppy-open-mouth-baby-kiss stage (which I love lol) but pecks on the lips were always normal growing up. I still give my parents a quick kiss on the lips, nbd.
  • jensriotjensriot member
    edited April 2014

DH is Spanish, I have to kiss everyone in his family, twice, on the cheek every time we greet each other. It will never stop.

The kids kiss us on the lips.

ETA: the Spanish kiss greeting includes Everyone, not just family.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Yes we kiss our kids on the lips. I also still kiss my parents, siblings, and grandparents on the cheek. I didn't realize this was weird.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • JenS2203 said:

DH is Spanish, I have to kiss everyone in his family, twice, on the cheek every time we greet each other. It will never stop.

The kids kiss us on the lips.

ETA: the Spanish kiss greeting includes Everyone, not just family.

The school where I taught was 90% hispanic.  It always caught new teachers off guard when they first came to the school and everyone was kissing everyone.  This extended to parents, teachers, and even sometimes the students.  At one point, a newer teacher pulled me aside and said "Why is everybody so...touchy!"  It was just part of the culture of the school that made it so unique.

I kiss my kids on the lips.  DD is learning to kiss and she tongues me every single time.  She's a sloppy kisser :-)  I kiss my other family members on the cheeks. 

• Yes - he's 2 - I don't think it's weird at all. I'll kiss him on the lips for as long as he allows or it becomes weird - whichever is first. ;)  DH kisses DS on the lips too.  

As he gets older I imagine I'll kiss him on the cheeks, and I refuse to put an age limit on that!  A hug and a quick peck on the cheek for hellos, goodbyes, etc.  I realize when he's a teen he won't want to in front of his friends, and I can respect that.
    This exactly, except mine is 1.

**Nestie Besties with Deutschefairy**

Diagnosed PCOS '03, TTC #1 Since March '09
    BFP - 10/20/10, M/C - 10/29/10
    June 2011 - 50mg Clomid = No O
    Dieted and exercised my butt off for PCOS = BFP 5/7/2012
    Due 12/29/2012
  • We are big time kissers and hungers! No cheek kisses or side hugs for us lol!
  • Huggers not hungers.
  • I also kiss my mom and dad on the lips, a quick smooch goodbye each time we see each other.
  • I kiss on the cheeks. My DH does the lips more often. I'm very much trying to discourage this since my in-ways are lip kissers... and kiss DD on the lips even when they're both sick... and then they afterwards tell us about how sick they've been all week. Um, hello?! MIL tries to kiss everyone on the lips... apparently she kissed my dad on the lips once and he was like wtf? Now whenever anyone in my family sees them, it's an exercise in avoiding the lip kisses.
  • I go for the cheeks or the forehead, but if DD goes for my lips I don't turn my head or anything.  

DH still kisses his mom on the lips along with his Aunts.  
  • It always weirded me out when others dd it but DS1 goes for my lips every time and I find it so sweet!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes. DD (4) no longer likes to kiss on the lips, but DS (2) still does. We will stop when DS finds it "icky" too. : ( I love toddler kisses on the lips. It took DH a little while to warm up to it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:

Yes I kiss my kids on the lips and yes I still kiss and hug my entire immediate family. How strange that anyone wouldn't (assuming they have a good relationship).

Its a cultural thing, though. My family is British and hella uptight. No touching!
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Yes I kiss my kids on the lips and yes I still kiss and hug my entire immediate family. How strange that anyone wouldn't (assuming they have a good relationship).

this is how I feel too. It seems so odd to me for people not to kiss their kids on the lips.
  • Mrs.Hizzo said:

this is how I feel too. It seems so odd to me for people not to kiss their kids on the lips.
    How old are you talking about when too say kid? Just curious. This whole conversation is interesting to me.

well mine are 5 and 7 and I kiss them. I assume I always will.
  • Well I still kiss my parents and friends on the lips so yes I assume I always will kiss them on the lips.
  • No not my friends parents. My friends and my parents.
  • I kiss my kids on the lips and my parents I hug and kiss on the cheek every time I see them. I guess I'll stop with the kids when they don't want to do it.

I can't imagine not hugging and kissing my parents and family.
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • LoriLee14LoriLee14 member
    edited April 2014

I am not an overly affectionate person at all. But I hug on my momma, daddy, husband and kid all day.

I still sit with my mom on the couch so she will scratch my back or play with my hair. I get spoiled

• I kiss my kids on the lips sometimes and kiss my parents/grandparents on the cheek.
  • I do, I think it's strange that anyone wouldn't give their mom, dad, sister or brother a hug and a kiss. Not necessarily on the lips, but a hug and a kiss. Unless there was some bad blood, then I get it.

I kiss my boys on the lips because that's the way they kiss me, cheek kisses would be fine though. But kisses on the lips certainly don't make me uncomfortable. They are 5 and 6.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"