Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

breast pumps

It appears my insurance will cover one of three brands of breast pumps. All three are hospital grade so that's not a problem but all the reveiws are mixed on each pump. The first few days I'll have to pump and dump due to the medicine I am on and I'm also considering going back to work so it'll have to go through a couple of pumps a day. Also if this little one is like my DS i had to pump and dump for a week when he turned a month old due to a milk protien allergy.

medela (depending on company I can get the pump in style with carry bag and cooler or just the unit and a few bottles) I've read of mold issues, poor customer service, and milk getting into the tubing which prevents you from using it until those dry. However every store around me seems to carry replacement parts

ameda- this pump comes with a tote and cooler. Good customer service and there doesn't seem to be milk in tube issues or mold issues I've also read some medela parts fit this pump but I haven't really seen many replacement parts in stores...

Hygeia q- this pump seems pretty new i haven't seen replacement parts around and amazon seems to be sold out often, customer service seems to be pretty poor...i don't know much about it from there...
IAmPregnant Ticker}

Re: breast pumps

• Options
    You might want to post in the breastfeeding board and google thebump.com: breast pumps with the brands after it.. 

I can tell you the Medela does have the risks you are talking about as its not a closed system - I can also tell you with the 8 woman I pumped with in the pump room (we were all really close and still are) 6 of us had Medelas and not one of us had any issue with it (one did have an issue with milk in the tubing but she ran the pump (like all of us) after pumping while we put away the supplies and then changed the tubes about every 2 months.

I had a Lansinoh which is simliar to the Ameda and I actually had issues with it because my boobs hated it.  Most of the medela flanges worked with it - but it was a struggle and you had to jam them in there.  One of the moms had an Ameda and loved it.. so it kind of goes hand in hand with what works for you

I don't know much about the Hygeia so I'm little help there.  Since you've pumped before - I'd say if you are standard nipple size and know how your body responds the Ameda would be ok - but if you are new - have weird nipples (I'm super small and flat so I need small and massaging and all sorts of random stuff) then I'd go with the Medela just because they have the most availability of parts... 

That all said - in the end for the last 3 months I was using my Lansinoh hand pump.. I'm really torn what to do with this baby on the way.. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    I also second posting this on the breast feeding board.

Just so you are aware, the Medela PISA is not a hospital grade pump. It's a great pump, but not hospital grade. Since it sounds like you will not be bfing initially due to medication, you MUST get a hospital grade to establish your supply. As far as I know, you can only rent hospital grade pumps.

The Medela Symphony is the rental hospital grade. It is a closed system so there is no risk of cross contamination in the motor.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just posted something similar on the Breast Fewding board. Think the post is called "pump recommendations"
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    amiefamief member
    I haven't had experience with the Hygiea Q but I used a different Hygiea and LOVED it.  I had no problems with customer service, and many of the parts are interchangeable with Medela (like shields, etc) so it was easy to find parts.  They had no little filters to keep track of and replace unlike Medela.  I used mine with medela bottles and shields because their standard size didn't work for me.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ah the only one which markets hospital grade performance is the Hygeia q...makes me wonder if i should go with that one instead since it can use medela parts...i was leaning towards medela since I can buy the parts everywhere around here but the mold issues really bothers me. I don't understand why this is so difficult lol
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    Ah the only one which markets hospital grade performance is the Hygeia q...makes me wonder if i should go with that one instead since it can use medela parts...i was leaning towards medela since I can buy the parts everywhere around here but the mold issues really bothers me. I don't understand why this is so difficult lol
    I've used my Medela PISA for five years, using it through three kids and have zero mold.  I have never ever heard of people getting mold in their Medela pump so I would seriously take that review with a grain of salt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

i have a Medela PISA. No issues with it. In my circle of friends, it seems like more of the issues people have had have been with Ameda.

I do get a free pump through insurance but only Ameda. I got it to use as a back up if anything happens to my Medela

• Options
    The review may have been for someone who didn't change the parts very often...? Ive heard both good and bad with medela pumps. Ameda seems to have issues now that they are covered under insurance

my insurance covers ameda 100% but I can get a medela PISA or Hygeia for a $30 upgrade fee. I'm considering paying the extra $30 for medela or Hygeia I'm just not sure...

i guess I could just pick one and hope for the best... FI wants me to go with the medela pump since parts are readily available and (i guess) from what he's heard they are good pumps. I go back and forth between all 3 but I have a feeling in the end I'll end up with a medela.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    I EPed with a medela Pisa and I never had any issues with mold or any other issue at all. It is an awesome pump and I will use it again with this baby. I'm guessing that the people writing those reviews didn't clean the parts often and/or just didn't take proper care of it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member
    Medela and Ameda are consistently highly rated. I have read reviews that the suction on the Ameda isn't as good as the Medela so that made the decision for me. What good is a pump if you can't get a lot of milk?

• Options
    Ok so I've decided to go ahead and pay the $30 upgrade fee and go with the medela pump. I looked at ameda and medela pumps at target and they both seem sort if the same in design (only ameda pumps are closed and medela isn't) but the ameda didn't have any spare parts available and medela has better suction. I think as long as I clean the pump regularly and replace the tubing, membranes ect then it'll be ok. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    I have the Ameda from DS. I used it all the time pumping at work. I never had issues getting parts at BRU or online at amazon.

Since I have all the bottles and parts, I plan on getting the Ameda from our insurance. I also have the same options as you but since I've had experience with the Ameda and it's a closed system (you could resell!) I will be going with it.

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options
    Have the Pump in Style Medela - it's been pretty good. Just make sure your parts are all dried out before connecting them up to the hose and trurning it on & run the pump from time to time with just the hose attached (pointing downward) will help eliminate / prevent moistue buildup.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I BF and pumped for almost 15 months with the Hygeia Q - loved it. Their customer service is responsive, but I recommend you reach out to them via social media as that seemed to be the fastest response. Most LC's in my area recommended the Hygeia pumps for the closed system.

I also had no trouble getting replacement parts through amazon. As PP mentioned, it is compatible with Medela accessories in a pinch, but I much preferred the Hygeia accessories. Good luck!
    After 22 months TTC and the loss of our identical twins at 10w6d, we're excited about our rainbow baby!
    Stick, baby, Stick!
    Beta #1 (12dpo): 38.3; Beta #2 (15dpo): 202.7
    Baby Girl born 1/17/13
  • Options
    I used an Ameda Purely Yours for a year with my son and loved it. I had bought it second hand because it was before pumps were necessarily covered by insurance. It worked great for me, I got up to 14 oz more than my son was nursing a day. For this baby I figured I could get a new pump covered by insurance and I was going to have to buy new valves, diaphragms, etc for about $50. I ended up getting the Hygeia Q and absolutely love it. I love that it has independent speed and suction controls which I understand the Medela does not. I actually got Medela flanges with their diaphragms etc to see what all the rage is about and I can say between the Medela, Ameda and Hygeia flange system I prefer the Hygeia. The valves are definitely the most durable of the three which will likely mean longer between replacement and it is the easiest to clean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"