Attachment Parenting

Toddler (bedsharing) and new baby arrival questions!

I have not really been in this board since my daughter was a baby, but I have some questions I know you guys can help with!

We have enjoyed bed-sharing with our 2 year old daughter, but now, with the imminent arrival of #2, things are getting tricky! 

Here is our plan:
Sidecar crib for new baby on Mom's side. Bed against wall with toddler on other side of Dad. It sounds wrong to me, but I just know I can't have my clingy daughter trying to cuddle me when I am nursing a new baby a few times a night. I would rather build a physical barrier (Daddy), so I won't have to "fight" her off. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan? Am I on track? 

Also, now that there are two of them, when would it be a good time to consider moving them back into their own room as a "team"? I am thinking 6 months? I feel bad denying our youngest the time sleeping with us, but I feel like since they will be together, it will be alright. I do not love the idea of all 4 of us trying to sleep together, even though I know many families do it and I am open when the time comes. I am kind of ready to have our bed back!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Toddler (bedsharing) and new baby arrival questions!

• You may find that DD acually wants her own room without baby at first sooner than you'd expect, if her sleep is interrupted by baby a lot. You'll just have to see.

Your plan sounds fine, though I'd likely be flexible on where DD sleeps (on DH's side or between parents), because I wouldn't want to give up ALL mid-night snuggles with DD. But that's just me.

Give it a few weeks and you guys will find your rhythm! It'll all work out. :)
    imageimage
  • ClaryPax said:
    If you don't want all 4 of you in your bed, but don't want older child to go to her own room, what about a toddler mattress on the floor?  Otherwise I would put her in her own room since you really don't want to keep bed sharing with you, and then you can bed share with the baby longer. 

I think the kids sharing a room would be fine, but I wouldn't have them share a bed.  I didn't know if you meant that they would share a bed or not. 
    I guess I was worried about the toddler taking offense to being kicked out of our room when the baby moves in! Has this been an issue for anyone? 

No bed sharing in the girl's room. I just thought it would be a nice bonding for them to move together, more for my oldest, I am sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"