Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Mini crib for 2nd baby

My boys will be approx 19 mos apart and will be sharing a room. DS1 (now 15 mos) is currently in a full-size crib, and instead of getting another full-size crib for DS2 (due in July), we're thinking of getting a mini crib. My thought process is that by the time DS2 starts to outgrow a mini-crib (maybe as early as 12 mos per some reviews), DS1 will be around 2.5 yrs old at the youngest, and we can transition DS1 into a big-boy/twin bed, thus transferring the younger one to the full-size crib. I just don't see a point in buying another full-size crib when a) we're tight on space as they'll be sharing the room and b) DS1 will be likely out of a crib around 2.5/3 y.o anyway, thus freeing it up for DS2.

We never bought the conversion kit for the full-size crib, so I'm thinking we'll just be buying a twin bed anyway for DS1 eventually. And then we can convert the mini crib to a 2nd twin bed in a few years.

Does this seem to make sense? Anyone else take a similar approach with 2 LOs close in age who would be sharing a nursery?

Thanks!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Mini crib for 2nd baby

• Options
    Do you have a pack n play?  I would just use that over buying a mini crib. If you don't then I think your plan is a pretty good one, especially if you can convert the mini crib.   We bought second crib but we had the space and our kids were only 16 months apart. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    Im not getting a second crib nor a mini crib. I'm looking at a Davinci Toddler that bed that's essentially a crib with a cut out. My DS will be 2 by the time LO is born and LO will sleep in PNP in our room til 3-4 months so at that time DS will be almost 2 1/2, old enough for a toddler bed I think. I just like that one because there's still so much surrounding him because right now he's a very mobile sleeper!
    Lisa
    Mom to Kendrick (12.20.12) and wife to Josh (married 9.18.10)
    Now expecting #2!
    BF for 14 months! (while working full time and traveling 50% of the time boy am I tired! haha)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ebp913 said:

Do you have a pack n play?  I would just use that over buying a mini crib. If you don't then I think your plan is a pretty good one, especially if you can convert the mini crib.   We bought second crib but we had the space and our kids were only 16 months apart. 

I second the idea of a pack n play, that way you're not having to buy a new (smaller) mattress and won't be dealing with different sized sheets.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Options
    Yes, we do have a pack n play- I just never really considered that for full-time sleeping... I like having the option of taking the pack n play places, using it as a playpen during the day, (right now it functions as a toy box of sorts in our living room), etc. I'll definitely consider it though, and thanks for the suggestion.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DD will be 2 when LO arrives and they will share a room eventually, too.  But we'll keep LO in our room for as long as we can before we transition DD into a toddler bed and LO takes over the crib.  To save on space, we bought this: 
    https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Rock-Play-Portable-Bassinet/dp/B008DDPL32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1397264837&sr=8-2&keywords=rock+n+play+bassinet

We have a pack n play we could use, but it takes up too much space in our bedroom to use long-term.  I like that this bassinet is lightweight and easy to move out of the way when needed. 
    imageimage

• Options
    We bought DS1 (5yrs old) a car bed on Craigslist and took over his baby room for DS2. Although the baby is still sleeping in a bassinet attachment to PackNPlay for now. DS1 had trouble sleeping because of the baby crying all night when we had them in adjacent rooms, so that's something to think about too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto pack n play.  We used it for 9 months until our oldest moved to a twin bed.  It was fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"