Natural Birth
Options

Continuous monitoring and natural birth

I was talking with my doula tonight and she informed me that the hospital where I am planning to deliver now pretty much requires continuous monitoring. They put this in place because they have brand new monitors that are mobile and can still be used in the tub, no wires, etc...... I plan to talk with my doctors to see if they are comfortable with intermittent monitoring still. I realize I can decline anything I want, but I do want to be wise about which battles I choose to fight.

So, my question is, has anyone done natural birth with continuous, mobile monitoring? Did you find it annoying? Or was it something you felt okay about because you were still able to move freely? If I do need to be induced again, then I am excited about these new monitors because I think they will still let me in the tub as long as they are working properly. With my last delivery, the old mobile ones did not work well so I ended up having to be on the wired monitors which only allowed me a small amount of space from the wall. I was so disappointed when I couldn't get in the tub.
href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

Re: Continuous monitoring and natural birth

• Options
    I had continuous monitoring while tethered to the machine. I didn't argue against it because I'd had at least six trips to l&d for monitoring during my third trimester.

The nurse respected my desire for natural birth and pretty much ignored the contraction monitor--didn't use it for any coaching. She did update us on baby's heart rate. My husband had asked about it though.

I was able to move between the bed and birthing ball, but labor progressed so quickly once I was admitted I didn't feel like moving any more.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I only had intermittent with DS, but it wouldn't bother me if I had to have continuous this time if it didn't restrict mobility. I actually liked being able to see the contraction number come down before I could feel a contraction subsiding because I knew it had peaked. Though I might feel differently in the moment if my provider were being too interventionist at any little issue in the baby's heart rate (for my midwives, I don't think they would be).
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    memo9memo9 member
    I can't stand to have anything touching me during labor.  Continuous monitoring was brutal during my 1st birth and it's what drove me to have a natural birth.  It is an absolute deal breaker for me.
  • Options

DD1: continuous monitoring and DD2, only during pushing as my labor was super fast and I arrived already at 10 centimeters.

I planned on IFM with DD1, but I didn't find the monitoring to be annoying at all and just left it on. I arrived in transition and was past the point where I would have wanted to walk around. That hospital did not have the option of water births so that didn't play into factor. I ending up standing beside the bed.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    I think what would make me nervous about routine continuous monitoring is that some research suggests that it might increase the risk of unnecessary c-section.   I think it's just one of those things you will have to read more about and figure out what works best for you.  
  • Options
    I work for a hospital, and more specifically, I support a labor monitoring software. For some patients it is a helpful tool, but personally I am still convinced (after a s***ton of research for a college level paper) that monitoring is more of a CYA for the hospital so that if something happens and the patient tries to sue them they can show that there was medical necessity to intervene. I plan on doing all that I can to have a natural birth with as little medical intervention possible.
    Definitely talk to your doctor about the monitoring and be sure to make it clear each time you go what your wishes are.
    x

• Options
    amandaleigh1amandaleigh1 member
    edited April 2014
    I was induced, so I had no choice but to have CFM. I had my ob agree to Doppler monitoring in an advance but that went out the window with the induction. I would prefer the telemetry belts that I wore to having to get hooked up to the wired monitors 20 min on the hour. My belts were barely noticeable and not uncomfortable, went into the water and allowed me to labor far away from the machines that take all the data. They worked out for me :)

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    If you have mobile continuous monitoring, just be aware of the risks for false-positives on fetal distress and have someone there to advocate for you.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My reply pretty much mirrors @Chichigo‌. Except I had a super sweet nurse that sat next to me on the floor/bed, holding the monitor in place. She didn't complain once or suggest I stay in a position that worked better for her.
  • Options
    cmb2cmb2 member
    Just had my med-free VBAC 2 weeks ago and had to have cfm. "Wireless" for my hospital meant they had a separate little power box to make it all more mobile but there were still wires from the belly straps to that power box that you have to walk around with. A little annoying but I was still able to labor in the tub, in the shower, and in multiple positions in the room with only slight adjustments sometimes with the monitoring. Just wanted you to know what to expect that wireless isn't literally wireless for you!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the insight everyone! I plan to ask my doctors about it at my next appointment and hear their thoughts. From what I understand, they are truly wireless. I think my dual said something about them having some box on the outside of the door that helps you connect no matter where you are on the unit? Not sure. I think my biggest hang up might be the whole false info thing and them getting nervous without needing to. That being said, I have relatively good faith in my doctors and know that they are not known as a practice that is quick to rush into a csection.
    href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• Options
    For me personally, using internmittent monitoring is more about making the safer choice than about mobility, however, if I was going to be receiving any type of intervention like Pitocin for an induction, I would consent to it. 

• Options
    From the research I have read, CFM has not been shown to improve outcomes for mom or baby, and can lead to increased risk of c-section and other interventions d/t false positive fetal distress. I would probably ask them why they want CFM, citing the information above and see what they say? It is not something I would personally want.
  • Options
    I had continuous monitoring (even in the tub) and it was no big deal. Once contractions started getting pushy, I ripped the whole mess off and the midwives just relied on my vocalizations (and I think maybe some intermittent monitoring, but I don't remember much of that, haha) to tell what was going on.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    I agreed to continuous monitoring when we got to L&D and my BP was through the rough. It was kind of a pain in the ass, because baby kept moving and I'd have to shift it to get the HB again or the nurse would come hassle me. That because DH's job, as I tried to relax in the tub. Anytime it would shift, he'd tell me so I could readjust it as quickly as possible. He spent at least an hour just staring back and forth and me and the monitors.
    Really, though, I could move around and do everything else I needed to. It was a minor inconvenience. We talked last night about birth plan for #2 and that's not a battle we really care to fight this time around if they want to push it.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I had to have cont monitoring with both births bc of pitocin induction (water broke, no contrax). First was attended by an OB & I didn't like it. I was stuck by my bedside all labor & didn't progress until I finally got an epi. Second time was with a midwife, telemetry monitors (wireless, big tubs to labor in. I walked laps, bathed & labored how I wanted. I made fast progress this time, no pain meds. Onlybadthing was momonitors would slip off so they had to keep coming in to readjust
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"