November 2012 Moms
Options

Still rear facing in car seat?

alphaphi98alphaphi98 member
edited April 2014 in November 2012 Moms
Car seat laws are changing all the time. Just wondering how many of your LOs are still rear facing in the car seat. Rear facing is required at least til 12 months, but recommended til age 2 for safety reasons.

What are your car seat set ups?

Still rear facing in car seat? 57 votes

Rear facing
84% 48 votes
Forward facing
15% 9 votes
SS...please explain
0% 0 votes

Re: Still rear facing in car seat?

• Options
    We are rear facing and we will stay that way well past 2.  DD is very petite.  I feel she is much safer rear facing. 

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    We are still rear facing M and have no plans on turning him forward at all. DH and I had constant battles on him wanting to forward face I after his 2nd birthday. We just turned him around (29 months) but only because his legs were falling asleep no matter what position he would be in rear facing and would just scream for 10 minutes after getting out of the car.
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We'll be rear facing until at least 3, possibly longer, depending on his height/weight.  I've seen the research, and I'm in no hurry to switch.
  • Options
    We rear face in my car but when hubby had his knee surgery two weeks ago, we had to forward face the seat in his car so hubby could sit on the passenger side with the seat all the way back.  Z likes it better but he'll be turned back around to rear face shortly. He's a taller kid but I plan on rear facing till he outgrows the stats for the seat for rear facing. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @uconnhuskie007 Yeah, and he is much happier now that he is forward facing. We haven't had any screaming fits since we've turned him around, so I feel okay about it. It's interesting to see how everyone on here wants to RF as long as possible compared to the people IRL around me. I was the ONLY person I knew who had a child who was RF past 1 yr, and got quite a few comments on how I was "delaying" my child from experiencing the world.
  • Options
    Still RF. L isn't yet 20 lbs so she's not technically big enough to FF, but even when she is we'll RF as long as possible.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    We are still RF and will RF until the limits of our seat at 45 lbs.  Since the girls are only 22 lbs I think we will get to at least age 4 RF. 

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Options
    we're RF til 2 (what are pedi told us)
  • Options
    @uconnhuskie007 https://csftl.org/why-rear-facing-the-science-junkies-guide/

I am a CPST so I know too much and have seen too much so that is why I will RF as long as possible and keep my kids in a 5 pt harness as long as possible as well.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Options
    @uconnhuskie007 From what I've heard, much of Europe also RF until 4. That is the general recommendation there.  The reason being is because the spinal column is not completely fused to the skull until 4 years old (or so) and having them RF as long as possible prevents this from internally decapitating them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"