Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Ideas on how to darken a childs room for naps?

Ladies tell me how you darken your childs room. Currently we have valances hanging all the time. I like the light coming in through her windows during the week. DD goes full time to a sitter so is only home on weeknights for a few hours before bed. Every Friday night I get the blackout panels out and very strategically hang, tuck and rig them into place to block out the light so she has a darkened room for napping and for sleeping in on the weekends. After doing this every weekend for a year its starting to get old. I purchased blackout curtains this weekend from Lowes. Brought them home and held one over the window and a lot of light still shines through them. I have checked all over to find good dark single blackout curtains and can't find anything that "blocks out light". The only thing I can think of is hanging my current blackout panels on the backs of the so called "blackout" curtains. I know I can't be alone with this issue and I was wondering what you ladies did to darken your childs room. Or maybe blackout panels and curtains is what everyone does. Just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance :)
Married 1~6~2007
Baby Girl born 1~27~13 after 4 1/2 years of infertility issues

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #2 12/28/14

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Ideas on how to darken a childs room for naps?

• Options
    I got some very cheap blackout shades at Walmart. They look like blinds, but they have an adhesive that sticks to the window frame. They were 5 bucks each and you can cut them to the length you want. They also have clips, so you can leave them up during the rest of the day. They did the job perfectly.
    This is a similar one: https://www.amazon.com/Redi-Shade-1817205-Pleated--72-Inch/dp/B000SDTEAG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1396901819&sr=8-7&keywords=blackout+curtain
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    We have Roman shades PLUS black out curtains for DS's room. Some light still gets through but generally it is too dark to read in his room (which is what's recommended for naps/sleep).
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I bought blackout panels on Amazon and they go behind the curtains. Occasionally I'll open the curtains/windows to let light in, but he spends very little time in that room outside of napping/sleeping so I'm not too worried about it. We spend a lot of time outside.
  • Options
    We just hung curtains and pull them back during the day. I'm not really concerned with how much light gets into the room during the day. It's a nap. There will be some light and DS needs to be ok with that.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
    Married 1~6~2007

BFP #2 12/28/14

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I just added blackout fabric from JoAnn to DS's curtains. The light hadn't bothered him until this recent time change. They work perfectly.
  • Options
    We have a double rod with blackout curtains and a sheer curtain behind them. A bit of light gets in at the top but not much. When I bought them the lady said some brands are better at blocking light than others so maybe try a different brand.
  • Options
    We ended up hanging our blackout panels on the back of the blackout curtains and like everyone else some lights comes through but it does the job. I even was able to use push pins and pin the black out panels to the outside of the frame around the window to reduce the light from the sides of the window. Thanks again ladies. I can see how this may have been a dumb question but this is our first and I was an only child so I was just curious what others were doing. Thanks again!
    Married 1~6~2007

BFP #2 12/28/14

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    He has a paper shade and regular beige curtains and never has had a problem with light in his room. He goes to bed at night when it's still light out and takes 2 naps during the day.

• Options
    LimaDLimaD member
    I got some blackout fabric at a fabric store and sewed them to the back of DD's curtains, which were already supposed to be blackout curtains. 
    the difference was amazing!
  • Options
    We have valences and then got blackout honeycomb shades from Lowes. They cut them right on site based on the measurements of your windows. They hide well behind the valences and pull right up to the window frame...nice way to decrease dust collection. We love them.
  • Options
    aibreanaibrean member
    edited April 2014
    We have Eclipse blackout curtains and they do a pretty good job. There is only minimal light coming in, but it's enough to make her not want to nap. She's only taking one nap a day so it's no biggie if she wants to sleep somewhere else. At bedtime she's an angel and goes right to laying down without a fuss.
    PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Blackout blinds and curtains from Walmart.  But I will say if you twist the blinds so that are closed but up (does that make sense?) I think that blocks more light in the morning.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We have the blackout panels from Pottery Barn kids.. they are great
  • Options

My daughter has the brightest room in the house with direct sun in there all afternoon.  We had a roller blind that came down and then had black out curtains over that (to block out more and the gaps around the roller blind)...still her room was bright enough to lie around reading a book. We realized after painting and having a mural on her wall that maybe she would have been better off in the back room away from the sun! 

We just got new windows installed and we got really cool windows that have a built in roller blinds that come out the side and all the way across the window.  Because it is built within the frame of the window there is no gap for any light.  Now we need a night light during the day in there!

Obviously this isn't an economical option...but hey, if you were looking to buy new windows and are willing to pay extra this is an amazing feature!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"