Pre-School and Daycare

potty training regression? discipline?

Hi there,
Wondering if anyone can offer advice..if they've been thru something similar..
My almost 4 year old boy has been potty trained since he was about 2.5yrs..and night time trained for at least a year now. I had been leaving a potty in his room overnight in case he had to go, but took that out a few months ago (seemingly without any issues). Now in the past 2 weeks he has pooped and peed in his dresser drawer once and again this morning he peed in that same dresser drawer. I was so angry I actually swatted him on his bum both times:( those are the only 2 times I have ever done that..and I never want to do it again! I felt terrible both time afterward:( Any suggestions on a better way for me to handle this situation? Any suggestions on what I can be saying/doing with my son so he doesn't do this again? I really don't want to have to leave a potty in his room..
Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

Re: potty training regression? discipline?

• rsd12rsd12 member
    He could be sleep walking and not realize he is not in the bathroom especially if there was a potty previously available in his room. Though I am not sure of how to help you. Is the bathroom available and lit enough to find at night/dark?
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • What reason did he give when you talked to him?  My oldest would not get out of her bed for anything until she was almost 5.  She would just lay in her bed and cry for me and I would have to carry her to the toilet.  Also, same child still wakes up in the middle of the night crying or whatever and I will take her downstairs, have a full conversation with her and she will have no recollection of it the next day, though she seems 100% awake.  And both of my girls went through a serious regression after they were trained for about 1.5 years.  Take the drawer out and see what happens.  Or leave the potty in there, he won't be using it in high school.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • XCrissCrossXXCrissCrossX member
    edited April 2014
    I've heard of children acting out by peeing in their dresser. Has there been a big life change or something disruptive to what he's used to? Could he be being abused (hate to say it, but abuse often causes potty problems).

If neither, then I agree with PP that he's half asleep and doesn't know what he's doing. Disciplining him in any of these cases isn't going to help. Put the potty back, put him in pull ups (although if he's removing his pants to use the dresser, that probably won't help)

I'm sorry you're going through this. Potty issues are always frustrating :(
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• edited April 2014
    thx for your responses ladies! 

he is definitely awake when he's peed in the drawer..i did take the drawer out yesterday..and thought we were going to be ok..until he peed in his boots which are not even in his room, but by our front door. He's doing these things deliberately..(pulling his pants down b4 peeing). just not sure why!!

When i ask why he peed in his drawer/boots..he just says non sensical things..like "i dont poop on my bed" or tells me that i put him in his room (which i did)

Dont think it could be abuse as the only time hes away from me is 2 hours twice a week for preschool..which has a very good reputation and i've met all the teachers and feel good about them

The only changes in his life..we are expecting baby # 3..but he seems to be excited about that (talking to my belly and rubbing it)..
  • I don't know what to tell you except I'm kinda in the same boat.  DD has been potty trained during  the day since 2.5 yrs but she isn't at night.  She sleeps like a rock and won't wake up.  But she's been having way more accidents lately and I've been doing a lot more laundry.  I know she needs to go becasue I ask her if she has to go and she says no.  2 seconds later, she's peeing on the floor.  I haven't found anything that works yet, but I'm also thinking of making her clean up her own mess.  We'll see how that works.  GL!

BTW- I would hate it if she peed in her drawers too.  That really sucks.  Sorry.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • DD1 is a very heavy sleeper. She does still wake up to use the bathroom at night, but there was one incident where she was so out of it that I caught her right before she attempted to pee on one of our dining room chairs. She seriously thought that she was in the bathroom and that the chair was the toilet. The next morning, she had absolutely no recollection of doing it. I don't have any advice as I haven't had to deal with this (aside from that one occurrence). I'd try putting the potty back in his room for now at night and see what happens.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"