May 2014 Moms

Extreme itchiness

Ok so I've been dealing with intense itching from my head to my feet, for the past 4 weeks. There is no rash, bumps or anything on my skin. I've talked to my doctor and they've tested me for chloestasis. It came back normal so she prescribed me hydroxyzine pamoate (basically Benadryl). It's not helping at all. I've also tried the aveeno oatmeal bath. I'm all out of options. Do any of you ladies have other ideas? I'm going crazy.
BabyName Ticker

Re: Extreme itchiness

• Coconut oil, it works wonders.

DS#1 - Apr 22, 2010
    DS#2 - Oct 26, 2012
    DS#3 - May 28, 2014

• About a year ago, I had extremely itchy legs for about 3 weeks. I couldn't scratch enough and there was no obvious cause. No bumps or rash. I was miserable but it did go away. I used hydrocortisone which kinda helped. Hopefully it goes away for you too. Maybe schedule an appointment with a dermatologist.
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • anniemore said:

it may be low iron? i had this problem mostly in my first trimester and when i started taking slow-fe iron supplements for women it resolved. it's back to a lesser extent now in my third trimester and i'm trying to treat with iron again to see if maybe my levels had dropped again.

I've been on iron since 25 weeks due to being anemic.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I actually just went in today to get my bile levels tested because my dr thinks I may have ICP. She said cool baths and to look up oatmeal baths as well. Also if the itchiness doesn't go away maybe ask for a re test because I heard levels can take a while to go up enough to be diagnosed with cholestasis
  • cbrust said:

I actually just went in today to get my bile levels tested because my dr thinks I may have ICP. She said cool baths and to look up oatmeal baths as well. Also if the itchiness doesn't go away maybe ask for a re test because I heard levels can take a while to go up enough to be diagnosed with cholestasis

I have an appointment Thursday and she wants to re test me. I've tried the oatmeal bath and I think I'm actually itchier after having it.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I actually just went in today to get my bile levels tested because my dr thinks I may have ICP. She said cool baths and to look up oatmeal baths as well. Also if the itchiness doesn't go away maybe ask for a re test because I heard levels can take a while to go up enough to be diagnosed with cholestasis
    I have an appointment Thursday and she wants to re test me. I've tried the oatmeal bath and I think I'm actually itchier after having it.
    maybe ask about a topical steroid for the itching? that's the only other thing i've read as far as prescriptions go. I read something about mint thistle and dandlelion root to help as well although now I can't find where I read it. 
  • A woman in my prenatal yoga class has this. Her doctor thinks it is an excess of yeast in her body and gave her a diet that should help balance her yeast levels.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I get the head-to-toe itchies every year at the start of allergy season. It's worse in the evenings. I take three different antihistamines daily to keep it to a manageable level (even during pregnancy), but nothing except time and the end of pollen season makes it go away completely. Curel Itch Defense lotion helps my legs and belly, though, as does daily showering, frequent hand washing, and staying hydrated.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I actually do have Cholestasis of Pregnancy, it sucks. FTR, I also had this itching with my previous pregnancy and tested negative-bottom line, whatever causes the itching, it's awful. The only thing I have found to ease the itching, is doing the oatmeal bath, immediately putting aveeno lotion all over upon getting out (like when I am still damp), and then sometimes using ice packs when I lay in bed. I don't know if the ice is actually helping the itch, just numbing different areas, or just distracting me from it, but either way not helps. Anyways, hope you find some relief, I know how miserable it is!
  • I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I switched my bath soap and started using a different brand of lotion and it helped a ton! 

Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. 
    It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. - Elizabeth Stone
  • I snuck into the bathroom to scratch my legs with a hairbrush the other night. I definitely understand the itchies. Hope all you ladies find relief soon!
  • Same here!
    Except- my doctor chalked it up to
    'dry skin' and told me to moisturize (which I do daily anyway)..which is EXTREMELY frustrating.
    I took it upon myself to change ALL products I was using- I'm a strict B&BW user but I switched to everything Aveeno- shaving cream, shower gel and lotion/cream. I can honestly say it has helped slightly but not nearly enough. I do also know that cool Aveeno baths are better than hot baths.
    I hadn't heard anything regarding low iron but I think I may try a supplement and see how that works! I have been eating ice like it's going out of style and I was told that's also an iron deficiency..interesting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"