Natural Birth
Options

Did anyone have an anterior placenta in a previous pregnancy/birth? Few questions..

This is my 4th baby but first time with an anterior placenta.  I'm 26 weeks and barely feel the baby move (the movement I have now would be comparable to what I felt in my 18th week of my previous pregnancies).  From my midwife I understand this is normal but obviously a bit disappointing since with my prior pregnancies not only would I have really felt the baby by now but DH and our kids too.  Do you recall when you could really feel the baby and when your spouse could?  Also, doing some reading I saw that 1 in 11 births where a mother had an anterior placenta the baby came out in the posterior position.  What was your experience with that?

Re: Did anyone have an anterior placenta in a previous pregnancy/birth? Few questions..

• Options
    I did last time around. Since it was my first pregnancy, I didn't know any better about how much movement I should feel. This time with no anterior placenta, it's like there's an alien in there! DH could never feel DD move before she was born. Now I can see my whole stomach move. Heck, everyone looking at me can see the baby move, even through my clothes. So it was a huge difference! Baby wasn't posterior at birth.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear the baby wasn't posterior at birth but EXTREMELY bummed that there is a possibility DH or the kids won't feel the baby!  I have a 3 & 4 year old that are asking me daily when they will be able to feel this baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FTM, but I do have an anterior placenta. I'm hitting 30 weeks tomorrow, but I was able to feel my LO reliably about 26ish weeks along with very faint flutters around my pelvis when I sat down and leaned over at about 23 weeks. DH has had no real issues feeling him move. But I think as my uterus grew, it stayed right where it was and is now front facing side.

I've actually freaked out cashiers when laughing because LO will kick my tummy and they'll see him through my shirt.

Honestly, most of what I felt was when he decides to kick straight down towards my bum...that is the most awkward feeling ever...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta with DD. I didn't feel much movement at all until after 20 or so weeks. DH was able to feel movement around 30 weeks, I think. She was posterior, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I had a fast, med-free labor.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta with DS. I started feeling him around 18 weeks down low but I couldn't really do kick counts until almost 30 weeks. DH felt the baby move around 22 weeks I think.

DS was not posterior. It was weird, though... He was LOA at 26 weeks and didn't really move at all until he was born. I mean he moved his arms and legs, but he didn't switch positions or anything. He didn't drop down until I started pushing, either.

I know a lot of people whose babies move all around until the day of birth. I wonder sometimes if the placenta kept him in one spot and I wonder if he had been posterior at 26 weeks if we would have come out that way.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta with DS. I felt movements very early - certainly by 16 weeks. DH was never able to feel him moving, though we could see my belly shifting and moving around 32/34 weeks.

He started out labor posterior but got in the optimal position by the time I started pushing.
  • Options
    My placenta was anterior with my first pregnancy. And baby came out posterior. I can't remember exactly when I felt baby, but it was much later than others due at the same time as me. And then it was even longer til my H could feel it. I did not have a natural birth, so I can't tell you how her position changed things.
    photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    I had anterior placenta with my second. i started feeling her movements around 22-24 weeks . i cant remember when DH could feel them but i know by 30-32 weeks fir sure. She was not posterior at birth .With my oldest i had an interior placenta and she came out sideways so If i were you no matter where your placenta attached Id be doing optimal positioning ( spinning babies covers this really well) just to be sure .
  • Options
    I have an anterior placenta and am a FTM so I have nothing to compare it to, but I started feeling movement around 23 weeks. My DH is able to feel him move around no problem and has been able to for many weeks now. We can also see him kicking and stretching.

I do notice I don't see/feel much right in the center of  my belly, which I'm guessing is where the placenta is? I see/feel a ton on the perimeter, though.
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta with my first. It took a long time for me to feel baby move (@ 18-20 weeks). I would fell little flutters before that but real movement that I knew was from LO and not gas was somewhere around 20 weeks. It also took a long time for my H to feel LO move (somewhere around 28 weeks). She had to really be kicking for my H to feel it. I have nothing else to compare it to since she is my only baby so far.
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta with DS1.  I felt him move consistently around 20-21 weeks, but DH didn't get to feel him until closer to 28-29 weeks.  He was not posterior. In fact starting at my 32 week appointment and all the way through birth he was always head down and perfectly positioned.  I had no trouble pushing him out.

The placenta for DS2 was towards my back.  I definitely felt him earlier (flutters at 15 weeks, consistently at 17 weeks) and DH felt him somewhere in the 24-26 weeks range.  That being said he was a tougher baby to carry.  I was in a lot of pain every time he switched positions from 30 weeks on.  He was transverse from 28 weeks until around 37 weeks.  I was so scared I would have to have a c-section.  When I went into labor he was head down, but posterior presentation.  He turned just before I pushed him out.  

image imageimageimage

• Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    edited April 2014
    I have an anterior placenta and I didn't feel her really until about 22-23 weeks and DH didn't feel her until 27-28 weeks. Around 30-32 weeks she has picked up steam to be able to be felt a lot more when she is active and sometimes I can see her pushing up in my stomach. I feel her a lot now (although I have no comparison) and I haven't had her yet but she is still breech so there's that :( but that doubtfully has much to do with my placenta as she moves quite fine from side to side in there. She does like to snuggle up right against it though I will say that!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"