April 2014 Moms

The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

• Did he recently just go through growth spurt behavior. Lots of fussiness and cluster feeding? Eat more often than normal for a day or two?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @macynsnoop‌ that was my day yesterday and I didn't appreciate it enough! He didn't have a bad night but he has literally not napped more then 15-20 mins in my arms all day today :( total payback for being a great napper yesterday.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD seems to have gotten a cold. Because her noise is study, she won't nurse for long, because she's tired she won't nurse effectively. She's been nursing every hour abd sleeping between. How can I make nursing easier for her while she's sick?
  • I have the BabyComfyNose. It works in the same way. I just hope the last two days of cluster feeding will keep her from dehydration. I already called her doctor.
  • @pete0121 ya, I think he did just go thru a growth spurt. He will be 5 weeks on wed. Do they need to recover from the growth spurt?

@aronie82 he got a bath & was awake for a bit, still only ate on 1 side for 6 minutes & is now back asleep. We have passed his normal fussy hours without any fussing, just kept sleeping. Not sure what to expect tonight, I'm nervous too!

• Does it ever stop hurting !? We have been using a shield for the last week and a half or so ( my nipples were so cracked and sore) we started going shield free again yesterday and I already have a huge crack back in my nipple ! The pain during feedings makes me want to call it quits ! When my little man comes off the boob my nipple has a crease in it .. Is this normal ?? I called an LC and she never returned my call, going to have the pedi check for lip and Tongue tie and his next appointment... Anyone one else still having pain during latch and feedings ?? LO is 3 weeks old today.
  • That's not normal. Something is off with his latch.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Please tell me feedings get easier as baby gets older! It's so annoying trying to wrestle LOs crazy arms just so he can latch on properly.
  • Yes much easier! You will both get better at it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a feeling :( he's only latched once with pinching my nipple .. Going to call LC again ! We need help. Not sure what we are doing wrong
  • One of my boobs (left) clearly produces a heck of a lot more milk then the other side and lately LO has had projectile spit up after feeding off of that boob. He takes the other one just fine...prefers it better it seems. Should I stop feeding him from the left for a little bit and just pump that side?? I feel like he is struggling to digest the extra milk.
    "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Dr. Seuss
  • I would do something like two feeds on the lesser side for every one on the stronger side. I have a similar issue, fwiw, it's pretty common. As baby gets bigger they'll handle the fast flow better and feeding more off the other side may help it regulate, too.
  • I was wondering about that as well! I'm going to try two feelings from the side that produces less and see how things go. That side also seems to be less sore as well (I guess e can latch better in that side?) so win/win.

• babybarnes87babybarnes87 member
    edited May 2014
    Lately my LO has been "angry feeding" in the evenings. As in when I'm trying to get him down for bed. He wiggles around a lot, pants, grunts, kicks and punches. He seems so pissed but I don't know why because he's swallowing down milk! Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just blame it on a growth spurt? Putting him down has been more challenging the past several nights. I switch him from boob to boob until he finally passes out. I hope this doesn't last long!

Edit: he'll be 5 weeks old on Tuesday.

• poru said:

Lately my LO has been "angry feeding" in the evenings. As in when I'm trying to get him down for bed. He wiggles around a lot, pants, grunts, kicks and punches. He seems so pissed but I don't know why because he's swallowing down milk! Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just blame it on a growth spurt? Putting him down has been more challenging the past several nights. I switch him from boob to boob until he finally passes out. I hope this doesn't last long!

I have had this the last couple nights and exact same age. Although no swallowing over here. It's like is angry comfort sucking. She gets normal let downs at first but then changes her suck so is vigorous but not a typical active suck and no swallowing. And if I take her off then she roots like crazy as if she is starving. And it's been harder to get her to sleep afterward.

Yeah! He does that too, actually. Starts out normal and then gets vigorous and he's moving his head around so much that I guess it does turn into more comfort sucking than actual swallowing.

I've debated introducing a pacifier, even though I wanted to wait a little longer to do that.

I guess I'll wait it out for a week or so and see if it stops. Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this, @poru!

• macynsnoopmacynsnoop member
    edited May 2014
    @poru & @babybarnes87
    My guy does this same thing, same age too. He will actually start off normal but once has been on the boob about 6 min or more he will start this crazy behaviour. He will keep sucking & swallowing but will move his head around like crazy as if he is trying to rip the nip off! I try to calm him down by rubbing his back & shooshing him, sometimes I just have to quit the feeding tho. Sucks, instead of him getting nice & sleepy after eating he will just be crazy!
  • @poru & @babybarnes87
    My guy does this same thing, same age too. He will actually start off normal but once has been on the boob about 6 min or more he will start this crazy behaviour. He will keep sucking & swallowing but will move his head around like crazy as if he is trying to rip the nip off! I try to calm him down by rubbing his back & shooshing him, sometimes I just have to quit the feeding tho. Sucks, instead of him getting nice & sleepy after eating he will just be crazy!

Could be that he has to burp/fart/poop. That's what my LO does when he has to relieve some gas!
  • My DS is doing the same angry feed thing for the last 3 days he is 5 weeks 2 days today I would love to know the meaning behind it!
  • ksulliksulli member
    On the angry nursing- mine does it too, and it seems to be gas related. She'll take the paci instead which my boobs appreciate.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • Yeah around here that's usually poop/burp/fart.
  • So I've noticed a few other mamas worried about their pumping output. I was initially doing great on the pump and it started going down recently. I tried out the power pumping I've seen others recommend on this board and it sure does work! I pump every 10 minutes until I've gotten the amount I want. Pretty soon my boobs figured out what I needed and I didn't have to go thru 3 cycles to get enough! I definitely recommend trying it out if you're having trouble with your pump. Good luck and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
  • Can't seem to find anything online...but I have food poisoning and took a dose of pepto. It's the only thing that brought any relief. How long until it's okay to nurse?
  • poru said:

I have had this the last couple nights and exact same age. Although no swallowing over here. It's like is angry comfort sucking. She gets normal let downs at first but then changes her suck so is vigorous but not a typical active suck and no swallowing. And if I take her off then she roots like crazy as if she is starving. And it's been harder to get her to sleep afterward.
    Yeah! He does that too, actually. Starts out normal and then gets vigorous and he's moving his head around so much that I guess it does turn into more comfort sucking than actual swallowing.

I've debated introducing a pacifier, even though I wanted to wait a little longer to do that.

I guess I'll wait it out for a week or so and see if it stops. Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with this, @poru!

@poru & @babybarnes87‌ - my LO does the EXACT same thing! She'll be 5 weeks on Wednesday. I know she's getting plenty of milk, but it's hilarious watching her whine like a puppy for more boob. Makes me think of Rolly on 101 Dalmatians :p
  • Ugh. I too got too excited about a shield free latch. My nipple on that side is so painful I don't even want her to latch. I woke up with the chills and now I want to throw up. Could it be a plugged duct already?
  • Does anyone else's LO clear their throat constantly at night? I googled it, and of course it said reflux. But my little guy rarely burps, let alone spits up. He doesn't seem to have an upset tummy. The only time he grunts/clears his throat is at night.

• hlm184hlm184 member
    Mastitisis - should I call for redness or only if I also have a fever?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was told only to use straight nipple pacifiers with DD. She hates them, will not take them. Will it really mess up her latch (not great anyways, highly dependent on shield) and make her a "lazy sucker" if we try and she takes a pacifier with a bulbous end?
  • I was told only to use straight nipple pacifiers with DD. She hates them, will not take them. Will it really mess up her latch (not great anyways, highly dependent on shield) and make her a "lazy sucker" if we try and she takes a pacifier with a bulbous end?

Like the nuks? Every time my dd used them, her latch would be weird afterwards.... Same with the nuk bottles- she had to latch onto them differently than other ones so she ended up with horrendous gas afterwards. No issues with the wubbanub/soothies though.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• For some reason for the past couple of days when baby girl latches, she's started pinching my nipples. So badly that when she releases or I make her release, there's a crease in my nipple! Talk about painful. :( I've read that this can also kink up the milk flow. Any suggestions on getting her to latch better? I try to get her to open wider and position her differently (but still in the cradle hold; it's the only one I have down really well), but she gets frustrated and ends up relatching however she wants to. :(
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • @Emily041285 if you've got the chills & feel awful, like you have the flu it could be mastitis. Do you have a red area on one of your boobs that is sore or feels really hot? Check your temp too, if it more than 100 I would call your dr to discuss the possibility of mastitis. When I got mastitis it started with chills but quickly progressed to a fever & overall achiness like I had the flu.
  • hordolhordol member
    How likely is it that you will deal with thrush or mastitis while breastfeeding? Is it the kind of thing that most people will deal with at one point or another or is it less common than that? I'm terrified lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• ksulliksulli member
    hordol said:

How likely is it that you will deal with thrush or mastitis while breastfeeding? Is it the kind of thing that most people will deal with at one point or another or is it less common than that? I'm terrified lol.

This is my second and I haven't had a problem (yet). I think you hear about it when people have problems, and not when things to well, so *hopefully* what you read here & on the BF board is not a real true sampling of the experience.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • hordol said:

I too am on baby #3 and I only had it with baby #2, no other problems with #1 and #3. With my second I got it all and all at the same time, thrush, clogged ducts and mastitis...it was fun.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
  • Ugh. I too got too excited about a shield free latch. My nipple on that side is so painful I don't even want her to latch. I woke up with the chills and now I want to throw up. Could it be a plugged duct already?

I felt this exact way when we were starting out breastfeeding, and now I'm wondering if it's just what my body did to adjust to the boob abuse. Didn't have a plugged duct that I was aware of.

A14 Siggy Challenge (November): Favorite Fall Smell
  • I had very mild mastitis with baby one. I got right on it with lots of rest and nursing (and raw garlic and goldenseal because I'm a hippy I guess) and it never got bad. Never had thrush. I had my mastitis just after thanksgiving and it was because I was so busy cooking I wasn't staying on top of nursing regularly and emptying my breasts.
  • What are some preventative measures to avoid thrush/mastitis because I'm also terrified!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"