Adoption

Going public!

My hubby and I started our adoption journey February 2013, we shared only with immediate family and our closest friends (whom we needed as references). Our agency encouraged us to share with others, it would help in getting our profile out to the public, and the additional prayers would be helpful as well. We just weren't there yet, we decided to just keep it between us and our agency. We were recently chosen by a birthmother in March and she is due August 2014. This journey has been so long and I just want to shout it from the rooftops! I'm curious how others would handle or have handled this situation? Would you go public with your news? If so how soon, now or closer to due date? When I say go public, I mean telling extended family, co-workers, friends, anyone we are in contact with on a regular basis.

Re: Going public!

• It would depend on how hard it would be to untell if it falls through
  • We had an official match in may for a baby born and placed in July. We told people that we had a match and that we hoped we'd be blessed to bring home a baby.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have been very open with people about the fact that we are adopting.   Both of our work places know, I blog and we share details that we are comfortable sharing when people ask.   We are doing foster to adopt so it is a little different, our current plan is to tell people when we know for sure the placement will happen.  
    Started foster to adopt application process January 2014
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lorifromwilorifromwi member
    edited April 2014

If you want to ease people into it, you could share with people that you are going through the adoption process, but hold off on telling them that you have been matched and wait to do that until later.  That way they know that a LO could be in your life soon, but if things fall through you don't have to deal with the messy bit of un-telling.

PS - CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I hope everything goes well for you!

• We kept the telling people about our match really light. Most people aren't that familiar with how DIA works and so you have some control over their perception. Family, work and friends all knew we were home study approved for DIA. Once we were matched, we told our family that an emom had chosen us as her baby's intended family and and that if she chose to place we would be welcoming baby into our family. 

When time came close, like within a month, I told my boss and anyone who wanted to make plans for after the possible placement the same thing. We actually had a match fall through and framing it this way made it not a big deal to inform people. We just said emom had decided to parent and left it at that.

Congrats on the match! It's a very exciting time for you.

• Congrats on the match!  
    image   image   image
    TTC since 2010 | 3 miscarriages | Diagnosed with stage IV endo | Adopted our little girl Aug 25, 2014

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We told close family first, pretty much as soon as we made the official decision to go the adoption route. Then told people slowly. We were matched in a November and shouted it to more people. Now we have told just about anyone who will listen. We did it for several different reasons. We didn't want to keep it a secret. We didn't want to be gyped of the excitement and happiness that comes from starting a family.
  • I would at least wait until the start of the 3rd trimester before telling other people. That's one of the reasons this board is such a great thing. We are all here for you to share your joys, worries and other bumps in the road when it might be a little early to share with others.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"