June 2014 Moms

Lay it on me...how did the baby shower go?

Re: Lay it on me...how did the baby shower go?

• kd&cd said:

Mine is May 10, were having a BBQ at my SIL's house (she, my mom & MIL are throwing it) with no baby shower games, so I'm pretty happy about that! It's mixed so I'm looking forward to seeing all friends & family. People are saying the invite reads like a set of rules (ie the registry section) but we wanted to provide as much info as possible & be thorough as we are using myregistry.com not the normal store registry...so I'm trying to ignore that!! FX for no drama!!

We didn't do this for our invite and i wish we did! We are also registered through my registry. Shower hasn't happened yet buy so far not a lot of good responses to it .
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My family is throwing me one May 4th.  It was definitely unexpected.  I'm excited.
    @fsumom that is when mine is:)
    Mine is also on May 4! :) Can't wait!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• my first shower is this weekend - my mom and sis-in-law have planned a really fun Skype shower (since I can't travel the 500+ miles to attend in person).  Super-cute invitations were sent out over a month ago, almost everyone RSVPed "yes" (I am very well loved!) and we have had a porch full of boxes from Amazon and Target arriving for the last week, so that everyone can "watch" me open my gifts! 

DH's sisters are throwing me a shower next weekend, and I have no idea what to expect from that one....they didn't send out invitations until a few days ago, and I found out yesterday from several friends that the invitations didn't include an address for the party, a complete phone number to RSVP (no area code listed), or any registry info.  DH asked his sisters why they didn't include necessary info, and their response was that family knows where the house is, and a few of the aunts won't shop off of registries anyways, so why include it (even though it would be great for everyone else to know where we registered!).  I'm expecting it to turn out a lot like the shower I went to a few weeks ago for DH's cousin....no one knew where she was registered, so she got over 100+ newborn baby outfits.  We'll see how it goes!  Most of my friends can't make it because of the late notice, so I'm not sure what the turnout will be anyways.

TTC since July 2011

Me(33): normal HSG; diagnosed with mild PCOS

DH(35): normal SA

*6 cycles no meds, July-Dec. 2011, all BFN

*Clomid for 3 cycles, Jan-March 2011: BFP March 2011

*MC at 6 weeks

*2 cycles off

*Started TTC again July 2012 with Clomid, 6 cycles from July-Dec. 2012, all BFN

*1 cycle no meds: BFN

*1 cycle Femara: BFN

*1st RE visit March 2013 - first IUI in April 2013 with Femara, Menopur, and Novarel (BFN); second IUI in May 2013, same protocol (BFN); two cycle break;  third IUI in August 2013, same protocol (BFN)

*1st IVF cycle, October 2013 (Synarel, Menopur (75 iu), and Gonal-F (150 iu)) -- BFP!!  Saw two babies at our 5wk5d u/s on Oct. 28th!  EDD=June 25, 2014

• My husband's family decided to ever so politely remind me that I have no choice in this matter and its not about me or what I want. The shower has nothing to do with me it's all for them. Mostly it's about my MIL.

They changed the date to May 17th. A few days after we close on our house. They decided to combine it with the closing. All the girls at the shower all the boys moving our stuff in.
    Now my house is going to get all messed up and I have to go to the shower on my own without my husband there for me to push the attention off on. 

Every time I even think about it I have a panic attack and lose whatever I've managed to put into my stomach. I'm trying to stay calm and i'm worried about my childishness harming my son but I just can't stop worrying about this. 

At least for the wedding shower I was able to have a few drinks to keep me calm. 

Maybe since its my MILs shower I will buy her a present and she can open them all while I stuff myself with cake. 

Sorry just had to vent a bit since I'm not able to speak to anyone about my fears IRL. 

• I'm a STM so I declined having a shower.  We're doing a "sip and see" instead after I deliver probably sometime in July.  That's more my style anyways.  I hate sitting down opening gifts while everyone watches.  This will be way more laid back and I can actually have a few beverages (my mouth is watering).  Gifts will be optional; more of a party than a shower. 

~ Jenny ~
    Married to Jake ~ June 4, 2010 ~
    DS born ~ July 22, 2011 ~
    Two chemical pregnancies:  ~ December 2012 ~  & ~ August 2013 ~
    Expecting our baby GIRL!  ~ June 4, 2014 ~
    June '14 May Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV Mom 

• Mine isn't til May 18th, and my EDD is June 18th! I'm just so worried that I'll give birth before my shower, and I won't have ANYTHING I need!
    June '14 June Siggy Challenge - Summer Heat
  • JBC2020 said:
    My husband's family decided to ever so politely remind me that I have no choice in this matter and its not about me or what I want. The shower has nothing to do with me it's all for them. Mostly it's about my MIL.

They changed the date to May 17th. A few days after we close on our house. They decided to combine it with the closing. All the girls at the shower all the boys moving our stuff in.
    Now my house is going to get all messed up and I have to go to the shower on my own without my husband there for me to push the attention off on. 

Every time I even think about it I have a panic attack and lose whatever I've managed to put into my stomach. I'm trying to stay calm and i'm worried about my childishness harming my son but I just can't stop worrying about this. 

At least for the wedding shower I was able to have a few drinks to keep me calm. 

Maybe since its my MILs shower I will buy her a present and she can open them all while I stuff myself with cake. 

Sorry just had to vent a bit since I'm not able to speak to anyone about my fears IRL. 

That freaking sucks, I'm sorry!

• LoHerrim said:

I just put the pork on the smoker for my shower tomorrow. Pulled pork sandwiches are the main dish. It'll be on there for about 6 hrs then finish over night in the roaster. Smelling it & not eating it is torture.

That looks amazing!!!!
    photo 0c2dff5c-8353-4f48-a664-12cdf783ef5a_zpsd50eeb2f.jpg photo 2568d9e8-2e0a-42f1-9e46-3b839622bae6_zpsa9ad0626.jpg photo 7cad0d91-68fd-48bf-b58a-48256209fbe1_zps4881d0c7.jpg
  • Mine is April 26. I hate the wait!

• KrystaJ said:
    JBC2020 said:
    My husband's family decided to ever so politely remind me that I have no choice in this matter and its not about me or what I want. The shower has nothing to do with me it's all for them. Mostly it's about my MIL.

The shower my MIL is throwing is the same way. She even told me it's "not a big deal" if I can't come.

:)) I really am sorry both of you have to go through that, but I have to laugh at your MILs' ridiculousness.
    image    image

• My shower is today!! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I don't like big groups of people but I'm excited to see all my friends and some family.
    My MIL may or may not be there. I made sure to tell her about the shower way before the invites went out. My mom and sister are throwing the shower but my MIL is the only family DH has that he is close to, so I wanted to give her time to offer to help if she wanted to be a part of this. Of course she waited until this past week to complain to DH that no one asked her opinion about the shower or what she wanted. Thankfully my DH got tired of putting up with her self-centerdness a long time ago and told her the shower isn't about her and she had plenty of time to express her opinion and offer to help. So we will see if she shows up or not.
  • Mine isn't til May 18th, and my EDD is June 18th! I'm just so worried that I'll give birth before my shower, and I won't have ANYTHING I need!

My shower is May 18th as well and I'm due June 22nd, I worry too!
  • jldcjs said:
    Any other FTMs not have a shower? I don't have that many close friends where I currently live and many of my close friends are all over the country (many are pregnant or just had babies) so I wouldn't ask them to come. 

I don't even really want one, but then I feel kind of sad that I'm not having one. 
    I'm not having a shower (that I know of)... I'm disappointed, not because of the gifts, but because it's been a tough year and I would love to have everyone's support.  My DH and I moved to a new area almost a year ago and haven't made any connections yet (moved to a big city).  His family lives 2 hours away and mine lives 4.5 hours away.  I love our families and know that everything will work out, but it is sad! I hope that someone does something special for you!!! 
  • kk627kk627 member
    Please tell me if I'm being totally unreasonable here:

I just found out this morning, after prodding DH for information, that my shower is supposed to be a surprise! Is that something people do? MIL is hosting and even though I love her to death, how could she think this was a good idea! All the information had been flowing through DH and apparently, the date he gave me was to throw me off - the diet is two weeks earlier.

The plan was for DH to tell me that were going out to dinner. I never dress up, and I haven't bought any fancy maternity clothes, just leggings, jeans and t-shirts. I only get my nails and makeup done for very special occasions. Basically, I would show up to my own shower looking like a bum while everyone else is dressed up. I just think that's unfair.
    photo imagesCA6G9QBP_zpsc3789ebf.jpg photo 7cad0d91-68fd-48bf-b58a-48256209fbe1_zps2cdcb730.jpg

May Siggy Challenge - Favorite TV Mom

BabyFruit Ticker

• kk627kk627 member
    Just want to add that I have NO family here so I already have to deal with that, the last they could allow is for me to look half way decent on that day.
    photo imagesCA6G9QBP_zpsc3789ebf.jpg photo 7cad0d91-68fd-48bf-b58a-48256209fbe1_zps2cdcb730.jpg

May Siggy Challenge - Favorite TV Mom

BabyFruit Ticker

• @kk627‌ I had a surprise shower last Saturday.  It was thrown by a friend and DH was in on it.  It was at the country club and they have a dress code, so that narrowed down what I would wear anyway, and then DH told me it was a business lunch (to explain the venue and so I would dress nice).  I understand how you feel about that... it makes it seem like it's not really about you because they aren't considering your feelings, especially since you won't have your own family around you.  But most likely they mean well and just aren't very sensitive.  At least now you know, so you can go get a cute top, etc.
    image    image

• Some people have commented that it is weird I know when my shower is, but it is precisely because I did not want to look like a bum that I said I didn't want a surprise when my mom asked. Plus I have a lot of out of town guests that I would rather spend time with the whole weekend then just at the shower.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had one last week.  It was a lot of fun, with just a small number of friends.  The three hostesses did a great job and the decorations were really cute.  I now have the largest array ever of clothes for the first year of LO's life.  People really get excited when baby girl clothes are involved!

I have another shower on May 4th, but I have a feeling the one last week might be the most fun.  The next one is hosted by my aunt, for just family, and she insists on having it at my house (my godfather thinks so she doesn't have to clean up her own house) and is asking me to do quite a few things.
    image    image

• DH and I are part of a motorcycle club and the other ladies are planning a surprise shower for me on April 19th that DH accidentally spilled the beans on... so I'm just pretending I dont know because it is so sweet of them to do- all of my family and close friends are in CA and I'm in AL so I didnt expect to have one.
    And now I found out that DH's aunt is planning a shower for me with his side of the family on May 17th- I'm due June 21st, but with twins so I'm REALLY nervous about that one being so late!!
  • KrystaJ said:

JBC2020 said:

The shower my MIL is throwing is the same way. She even told me it's "not a big deal" if I can't come.

To the above = Insanity!

I send much love your way ❤️

@LoHerrim‌, so glad the shower worked out!

@jmar2011‌, that royally sucks! I'd've gone home and eaten a cupcake, plotting revenge. Then, I'd probably forget about, but just because I'm super shy.

@cinnamonsmiles‌, thank you for sharing that awesome story. Makes me think about what may happen on "Once Upon A Time" :)

As for me, I have coworkers planning something in May. Also, my friend a few hours away is teaming up with a friend of my grandmother to throw a family and friends shower in May as well. My grandmother is helping but refuses to be a host as "family throwing the shower is tacky."

Thank you ladies for the stories!
    I'll post mine when they happen- hopefully with pics. :)
  • Shower is may 18th irdk how its going to go me and my mil are having issues i havent spoken to her since feb when she called me all kind of disrespectful names this really hurt me &i am not wanting her to attend my shower or LO birth after doing that
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @misscarter87‌ i'm sorry she did that, I wouldn't want her there either!! I hope your shower goes well, with no drama!!
  • kk627 said:
    Please tell me if I'm being totally unreasonable here: I just found out this morning, after prodding DH for information, that my shower is supposed to be a surprise! Is that something people do? [...]
    I have heard of showers at work thrown by co-workers being a surprise, but never a family shower! I would be supremely irritated if I looked like crap and everyone else was all dressed up. However, DH knows that one of my greatest pet peeves in life is to be publicly embarrassed and this would qualify - if he didn't clue me in ahead of time he knows he'd be a dead man. 

But as a PP said, at least they mean well! And now you know to go shopping :)
    June '14 June Siggy - Summer Heat!

My shower is May 18th as well and I'm due June 22nd, I worry too!
    My EDD is June 21 and my sister is insistent that my shower be May 31 (and 2 and a half hours from my hospital).

I've got my mom to talk to her about pushing it to a week sooner but my mom is of the mindset of "It's not like you need everything together and done before he is here."
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • I'm throwing my SIL a shower May 4th and.I'm really nervous. This is the first shower I've hosted. I have a bunch of plans for decorations and food, now I just need the money lol.
  • Do any of you have friends who are all separate....like you don't have a group of friends? My sister offered to throw me a shower, but of my few friends, none of even met each other. Is that just too much awkwardness? It kind of makes me feel stressed, but the other option is no shower (or maybe a coed shower)?? 
  • pcourtade said:
    I'm throwing my SIL a shower May 4th and.I'm really nervous. This is the first shower I've hosted. I have a bunch of plans for decorations and food, now I just need the money lol.
    Is it a joint shower for both of you? That's cool that your SIL is due so close to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"